Single Kemper Kabinet | Main out or Monitor out?

• Got my kabinet in today and I was wondering if there was any reason not to use the main out for general home use. The instructions that come with the Kab say to use monitor outputs and I’m wondering if that is general wisdom that should be carried over to the profiler player? Or is it fine and I can just stick with the xlr out?

It’s not that important, I’m just curious about the device and the advice of people here who I know have made their profilers work in all sorts of unique ways.

• the Kone processing is only available for the monitor outputs. Please follow the guidelines in the manual for the best possible results.

I actually read this thing cover to cover and missed the line there.

In the app I would have assumed that if the Kone was monitor only, it would be in the monitor section of the output, I think that would potentially help. As it stands kone setting being at the bottom just made my mind jump immediately to it being an on/off thing for the outputs.

• I actually read this thing cover to cover and missed the line there.

In the app I would have assumed that if the Kone was monitor only, it would be in the monitor section of the output, I think that would potentially help. As it stands kone setting being at the bottom just made my mind jump immediately to it being an on/off thing for the outputs.

you missed the Kone button chapter on page 19 of the Quickstart section of the reference manual.

KONE Button (13)

Hold button to enable KEMPER Kone Mode to use one or two KEMPER Power KabinetsTM for monitoring. KEMPER Power Kabinets must be connected to the Monitor Output via instrument cables.

• you missed the Kone button chapter on page 19 of the Quickstart section of the reference manual.

KONE Button (13)

Hold button to enable KEMPER Kone Mode to use one or two KEMPER Power KabinetsTM for monitoring. KEMPER Power Kabinets must be connected to the Monitor Output via instrument cables.

Indeed I did, I've been primarily using at as an audio interface as my kab just arrived so most of my experience was using the software. Now I need to figure out why there is a buzzing when I use monitor out to my brand new powered kab, but not when I play through my studio monitors. The joys of figuring out new gear :D

• Oh no, the buzzing only comes from the kemper, even with USB audio. Using a brand new Klotz cable.

It's like a fuzz pedal is permanently on.

Looks like a few other people have had faulty units with this issue.

• Oh no, the buzzing only comes from the kemper, even with USB audio. Using a brand new Klotz cable.

It's like a fuzz pedal is permanently on.

Looks like a few other people have had faulty units with this issue.

Is the Klotz cable a speaker cable? If so, don't use it. Use a guitar/instrument cable.

• Right, received my Power Kabinet today. Connected it with instrument cable (mono) into Kemper Monitor out. Activated Kemper Kone in the menu, however, I am not getting a full sound out. I get something out of the speaker, with volume all the way up, but very poor a limited / distorted sound - what am I doing wrong?

I have changed the instrument cable twice now, no difference, sam poor sound you can barely hear.

Please help.

• hahaha didnt touch anything, went to make a cup of coffee, came back and it alive! :) WTF was that all about... I wonder if this thing needs time to warm up :D

Imhad a similar experience with my unpowered Kabinet and my Powered Head. Very low output and the sound would distort or cut out when I played hard. In the end it turned out that I just hadn’t pushed the speaker cable all the way in to the socket on the Kabinet 🤦‍♂️

• Edit: I'm a moron. I also was crazy, those ARE monitor outs D:

I also want to show that even in the advertising they show XLR to the kabs. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Seems like more misleading stuff from the photos.

• hahaha didnt touch anything, went to make a cup of coffee, came back and it alive! :) WTF was that all about... I wonder if this thing needs time to warm up :D

They are poorly made internally. Not many are out in the wild but if you look folks are getting their speakers replaced more than is normal for literally a speaker in it's own very heavy and large case (cab).

Mine was just broken, sounded like there was a fuzz pedal on the entire time. I buy dozens of speakers and monitors a year, I have two headrush FRFR speakers, one I dropped into the orchestra pit at a show twice in one night.

I'm returning all of my Kemper products. The player is limited in many ways and designed to sell you back features in an environment where the best stuff is paywalled (something that always comes up in shootouts), you literally can't use it with headphones alone, only two pre effects slots when there is no hardware reason for that to be the case. I bet a subscription service is planned where you unlock the big brothers' effect slots and get access to premium tones, if they aren't doing that then I have no idea why they would purposefully make the player limited.

I remember this random quote from a forum "If your speakers are affected by the [shipping] trip and fall, I do not think any one in the world would have functioning speakers."

• I also want to show that even in the advertising they show XLR to the kabs. I knew I wasn't crazy.

Seems like more misleading stuff from the photos.

The XLR is more left, at the height of the Kemper logo. That is a normal 1/4 plug in the Monitor out

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• The XLR is more left, at the height of the Kemper logo. That is a normal 1/4 plug in the Monitor out

Oof yeah you're absolutely correct. Scale and the angle and brushed metal made me think XLR. I need more coffee.

I think I found the thread that made me confused. It's the one where the user claimed XLR was better than monitor out for the cab and the responses were that other than the -12 DB padding and added space, there shouldn't be a difference in overall quality between the outputs. I was also fiddling tremendously with several interfaces before just saying screw it and getting an apollo, I have tried basically every possible config this thing can pop into protools at this point but the concept of a speaker-specific DSP setup is still not on my radar honestly.

• My honest opinion about my new Power Kabinet? It does the trick.

Would I take it to gigs? Probably not, but in terms of speaker in the room it does exactly what it says on a tin.

There is a bit of a hum coming out of it and its more like a digital hum whether you are on a heavy or clean rig, same thing, but it doesn't bother me. There is no hum when you record into your DAW and thats what matters the most I guess.

Overall I'd say it is a decent speaker, slightly overpriced, but I don't regret having one. Worth saying though that I only intend to use it within my home studio, whether I am practicing or composing/recording something.

Frankly speaking I can't see it's being used for any thing else really..

• I have the unpowered Kab, and use it at band practice every week as my sole sound source. Also at small gigs. Last gig it was just monitor for me on stage and I also went Main out to FOH.

All good here!

• Ditto. Paired with the player (the active kab obv) it has become my perfect grab and go/flyrig. The only thing I hated more than having to lug the toaster around was lugging heavy iron transformers and fragile glass and this thing weighs the same as a pro jr. It is amazing how far guitar tech has gotten.

Edited once, last by dfdfan ().

• I wouldn't be surprised. It makes sense though. Just like UA and eventide do and line6 did, so that they can cater to different price points and allow a ground floor option. I understand the lesser fx slot numbers as its design is to live on a pedal board where you would normally already have an array but I was pretty bummed when I couldn't at least have all the current fx to choose from so that I wouldn't have to modify my existing rigs. To note though that paywall is not set in stone and the other fx may just end up being added in an upcoming update. They may have rushed to meet xmas deadlines or something. Either way, I'll pay if I have to because its worth it for my needs.

• I have the unpowered version and a powered head. I only use them for onstage monitoring on gigs. It’s perfect for that purpose. At home I only use my studio monitors so don’t see much use for the Kabinet in a home situation to be honest.

I’m curious why you don’t think it would be suitable?