ToneX One

• Neat!

Also inexpensive. Drop that into an existing, traditional pedal board and you've got a solid setup without much hassle.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I think that before ToneX can be considered a competitor to Kemper Player, it will need to greatly up its game in efx processing.

I don't think that is the audience it is after. The pedal itself does not really process effects, other then reverb and compressor and that is minimal. From my prospective the ToneX is only meant to be the amp and cab for a pedalboard with your analog effects. Set up like that it really works exceptionally well.

• I think that before ToneX can be considered a competitor to Kemper Player, it will need to greatly up its game in efx processing.

Since day one, i complain due to Players' limitations, i was explained that it's not its destination, it's not an all in one solution, it has to be put on a pedal board, it's a perfect solution if you use 2/3 rigs, the few FXs blocks and FXs number are not a problem.

Today, i'm boring cause I don't want to waste time rethinking my rigs due to those limitations and just want to drag and drop things i've already created.... I'm really impatient to see unlocked features (and see how much i have to add)....

When i see this little toy, it's clearly the target we are talking about and a bargain to enter into profiling world (and ToneX seems not to be bad at all) ! Of course, it has more limitations, you can use two amps, the number of amp/cabs loading is limited but for the price difference you can unlock features, buy Fxs pedals, etc.....

Honestly, if it was launched before, i don't know if i wouldn't have tried it to wait for Players unlocked features....

I think that Kemper has really to be worried ; as OP said, this price is aggressive and will probably attract a lot of customers....

IMO, this little toy will stay as it is and won't purpose FXs and more possibilities but IK has a lot of softwares and can easily update/upgrade ToneX (if it's possible) or we can imagine a ToneX Stage at 700/800€....

• As I said in a previous post, I own both a Tonex and the Player. Tonex is a nice product. The guitar tone it produces is in a different league than the typical low end modeler.

That said, Tonex does not feel like a piece of “pro” gear as the Player does, and to my ears, it does not sound as good as the Player.

The capture technology in Tonex is quite good. Still, to me, there seems to be doses of extra pro musician Cristoph Kemper magic in so many elements of the Profiler Player. It’s this, along with the professional “feel” of all Kemper products that set them apart from equipment like Tonex. Mr. Kemper understands a musician’s needs in a different level than almost any other electronic music gear designer today.

Just my opinion, and everyone can disagree. If you’re inspired by your gear or plugins, that means it’s right for you. I can certainly understand why a guitarist with a serious pedalboard would want a Tonex pedal over a Player.

• Would this work for a dual amp setup with the Kemper Player or will there be phasing issues?

I'm a big idiot since I only know that phasing issues are a concern when going dual amp, but thats where my knowledge ends.

• ggo_101 no matter how carefully you try to match the tones, there will be some differences and potential phase and comb filtering issues. That might actually sound good like a two-amp setup…

Its tempting to get one just for a dual amp setup to be honest, and if somehow there are too many issues with phasing I guess I can use it as a backup or capture boost pedals with it to free up a slot in my kemper player

• I like things like the Tonex. Getting folks into profiling amps and having access to a huge array of tones.

FX. At a great price. I don't know if the wee Tonex One can profile (possibly doesn't have enough i/o), but its a great pedal for adding amps or drive pedals to a board.

The Kemper is a self contained profiler - no extra devices necessary. Tonex needs a computer and software to do the profiling while the pedal acts as a usb audio interface.

Kemper is also a fully featured digital multi-FX. Direct competitors ? Maybe not - but I can't see everyone ditching their Kempers to go full Tonex. Though I can forsee a plethora of Youtube videos suggesting "Everyone is selling their Kempers" like the "Everyone has sold their Helix" videos last month.

• I don’t think so. Directly competing with others doesn’t seem like Kemper’s way. They do their own thing.

Kemper, as every companies, has to sell products to survive.They could navigate the way they wanted cause they purposed a totally different thing with profiles instead of models for many years....

Competitors have purposed profiling (hybrid solution in fact profile or models) with Headrush, MOOER and Quad Cortex but it seems not to have caused any problem (the price tag was upper/close).

But ToneX seems to be the first troublemaker in the game...

I have a deep respect in Kemper's choices, how the devices are designed, i totally agree with what it purposes and what it doesn't, how reliable and "yearproof" it is but it's not a question of doing like others and choose to do the same or not, it's a question of what others purpose for less money and how they gonna react...

but I can't see everyone ditching their Kempers to go full Tonex. Though I can forsee a plethora of Youtube videos suggesting "Everyone is selling their Kempers" like the "Everyone has sold their Helix" videos last month.

I'm not so Xtrem ;) ^^

I don't think everyone is gonna sell their Stage for a ToneX One tomorrow.

But many will buy this cheap little toy to hear what is under the bonnet...

And as vjau75 said, if they want to jump on a big brother, customers will have a reference in ToneX sounds familly and will automatycally ask themselves what misses between K & ToneX and how they can fill the gap but the amount of money they save will be a really good point to answer this question....

• Seems like a good backup or for a person that has a full pedal board and plans to use it for nothing but amp/cab/noisegate. But you are getting what you pay for to a point. The mere lack of jacks, knobs, footswitches, and screen, mostly limit it to use in line on a pedal board where one at most toggles between two captures, or on and off for one. And for that use, it's a great price point and seems to be a great product.

I don't think this product is direct competition to the player. If one wanted to use the player just for amp/cab profiles, and nothing else, the original Tonex was already a competitor. The size of the ONE has an appeal, but given the centrality of the amp/cab to one's sound, dedicating pedal board space to something already reasonably small like the original 3-button Tonex or Player is not a misuse of space.

One of the appeals of all-in-ones like the Stage, QC, Helix and others, is that they can also function as the output hub for your Rig. You don't need a dedicated direct box, let alone two for stereo and/or some other pricy and space-taking mixing or splitting device, all so you can have a separate monitor send and convenient headphone output. The problem with even the original Tonex is that unless you want to run all your effects before it, all that routing convenience it does have disappears when you need to place even one pedal after it in your chain (as all your routing needs are now AFTER that last pedal. At least with the Player, you have two effect slots after the amp section.

• I don't think everyone is gonna sell their Stage for a ToneX One tomorrow......

Me neither. This week we have the wave of dudes who got a freebie to review under embargo.

But the YooToob 'KeMpEr Is DoOmEd' bandwaggon is probably leaving the station right now with dudes frantically recording as we type....

.....with the internet pitchforks and torches on standby.

Although. To be fair. I bought my Kemper at a time when lots were being sold as a way of getting a bargain.