Show your latest guitar

• Nice work and very interesting. What is the reason for the twist?

It reduces strain on the wrist and helps reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Violin and mandolin makers started doing it in the 1800’s, classical guitar makers have also done it since the 1970’s or possibly earlier but the most well known example is the Torzal Guitars basses which have a massive 35 degree twist. 15 degrees at the nut for the left hand wrist and 20 degrees in the opposite direction at the bridge for the right hand wrist. If you haven’t seen them take a look. They are totally bonkers.

• Excellent question. My guess would be easier access to the fretboard, but WTF do I know? :)

Decent guess but it doesn’t actually make any difference to the access and it doesn’t really feel any different to play other than less strain on the wrist at the lower frets. Not a massive game changer for me as I play with the guitar reasonably high but perfect if you play like Slash or Page with the guitar round your knees 🤣

• It actually allows Wheresthedug the play this song better. :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• It reduces strain on the wrist and helps reduce the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Violin and mandolin makers started doing it in the 1800’s, classical guitar makers have also done it since the 1970’s or possibly earlier but the most well known example is the Torzal Guitars basses which have a massive 35 degree twist. 15 degrees at the nut for the left hand wrist and 20 degrees in the opposite direction at the bridge for the right hand wrist. If you haven’t seen them take a look. They are totally bonkers.

My head is spinning! Carving, fret leveling, scale length/bridge compensation. I would love to follow the process, but when I search for it, all I find is warped neck repairs!

Thank you for the info. Very interesting!

Edit: example of the Torzal

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by RVA213 ().

• My head is spinning! Carving, fret leveling, scale length/bridge compensation. I would love to follow the process, but when I search for it, all I find is warped neck repairs!

Thank you for the info. Very interesting!

Yes, i thought making the basic twist was going to be the hard part but it was only the beginning of the head scratching. Levelling the frets was something else entirely.

I did it as part pf my 4 year college course on stringed instrument making and repair final year project. Even my lectures all said ‘ when it comes to fret levelling remind my to be off that day 🤣”

• It actually allows Wheresthedug the play this song better. :)

External Content www.youtube.com

making it was more Swear and `scream than twist and `shout 🤬

• Decent guess but it doesn’t actually make any difference to the access and it doesn’t really feel any different to play other than less strain on the wrist at the lower frets. Not a massive game changer for me as I play with the guitar reasonably high but perfect if you play like Slash or Page with the guitar round your knees 🤣

I chose my words poorly... I have a friend who is new to guitar and he could really use that type of setup.

He has a terrible time with barre chords because he can't bend his wrist like most can.

Methinks this would assist. 8)

• I chose my words poorly... I have a friend who is new to guitar and he could really use that type of setup.

He has a terrible time with barre chords because he can't bend his wrist like most can.

Methinks this would assist. 8)

None of us could make a bar chord back then. I can only do it now if I raise the neck closer to my head. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Geetar #3 arrived in fine shape. I also got a can of spray paint and solid black single coil pickup covers on #1. The painted stripes look horrible, but the vibe is good.

So 3 guitars. (pictured in order of 2,1,3)

#1 has an old Ibanez/EMG pickup, can of paint, and plastic pickup covers: $69+$10+$12=$91

#2 was $55

#3 was $71

Total Price: $217 + tax + the value of the old EMG that was sitting in a drawer.

I was talking to a buddy and we were reminiscing about when we started out, were broke, and had no gear. Where was this stuff then? Kids these days , they have it so easy :P

• I was talking to a buddy and we were reminiscing about when we started out, were broke, and had no gear. Where was this stuff then? Kids these days , they have it so easy :P

We do indeed live in an era of plentiful inexpensive guitars of very good quality but there's also the flip side of the good old days (before the 'vintage' guitar craze started). My first guitar was some awful JC Penney thing. My first 'good' guitar was a 1966 sunburst Gibson Melody Maker with one single coil bridge pickup. I bought that guitar and a very clean Silverface Fender Champ for $150 in the summer of 1980. Adjusted for inflation that's about $600 or so in 2023 dollars.

• Initially I just though it was a cool name...a twisted neck? Crazy!!!

Very impressed dude!!!

• Guitar number 3 of my 5 builds at college this year. The fourth is on my work bench at home getting set up but the final one will need to wait until after my holidays to get finished as there is still a lot of work to do to it.

This one is called "Voil" after the loch we live beside. It is an headless, multi scale acoustic with an ergonomic body shape to reduce back neck and shoulder strain when playing seated. It is very much a prototype at the moment and there are several things I want to change already but the basic proof of concept has worked out much better than I could have expected.

• Guitar number 3 of my 5 builds at college this year. The fourth is on my work bench at home getting set up but the final one will need to wait until after my holidays to get finished as there is still a lot of work to do to it.

This one is called "Voil" after the loch we live beside. It is an headless, multi scale acoustic with an ergonomic body shape to reduce back neck and shoulder strain when playing seated. It is very much a prototype at the moment and there are several things I want to change already but the basic proof of concept has worked out much better than I could have expected.

Once again, very impressive work. I hope you continue to pursue your guitar building journey after school.

• Man, that's such a unique design I've never seen anything similar. Curious about that soundhole...how does it affect the overall tone character, loudness, etc.?

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio