EQ'ing fizz

• Do any of you find that, although most of the available profiles are amazing, you still find yourself doing some regular corrective EQ'ing to remove that harsh 2.3k - 4k region that can be very obvious with digital processing? In a mix it's generally not too bad, but I find that I still have to add a studio EQ in the Kemper's X slot, just to kill some of the fizz. Sometimes i think my ears are just too sensitive to that region - it's like that whole "what has been heard, cannot be unheard" kinda thing.

I'm just a fussy buggar, me thinks.

• Are you using a lot of gain and the same profile on left and right?

Lower gain settings have less noise in the 3-4k. Each amp and mic has its own annoying frequencies. Using the same amp for both left and right puts the annoying frequencies in stereo. I like to use my preferred tone on the right and a different amp that complements it on the left.

• Are you using a lot of gain and the same profile on left and right?

Lower gain settings have less noise in the 3-4k. Each amp and mic has its own annoying frequencies. Using the same amp for both left and right puts the annoying frequencies in stereo. I like to use my preferred tone on the right and a different amp that complements it on the left.

Cheers. I hear it both through monitors and real guitar cab (both in mono), I think it's just me. Technically I'm using 'high-gain' amps, but I'm usually very sparing with the gain knob, i rarely go over 1 o'clock. I'll have to try your advice for recording though!

Cheers!

• It's not just you, the noises are there. Thats how the amps were profiled. Either it's the amp, mic or mic position. It can be any of them or all of them. EQing noise out of that region for guitar is very common.

• I guess my point is, you would have thought it would be possible to remove some of this sound prior to profiling?

It's not really a problem, I just find it interesting.

• I guess my point is, you would have thought it would be possible to remove some of this sound prior to profiling?

one man's "noise" is another man's "cut"(<- or insert any other descriptive here) - there's no such thing as good or bad frequencies, it all depends on your input and your taste.
    Certain pickups, sometimes even almost all pickups by one manufacturer, can accentuate certain areas in the frequency spectrum. Years ago I learned the hard way that the issue I had with many setups I played was simply the fact that I had bought and installed pickups I didn't like - without knowing obviously. By the description and artists that used these pickups I should have been fine. ;)

• I wonder whether or not they were running special custom-wound versions that were superior to the street models, Don?

Do any of you find that, although most of the available profiles are amazing, you still find yourself doing some regular corrective EQ'ing to remove that harsh 2.3k - 4k region that can be very obvious with digital processing? In a mix it's generally not too bad, but I find that I still have to add a studio EQ in the Kemper's X slot, just to kill some of the fizz. Sometimes i think my ears are just too sensitive to that region - it's like that whole "what has been heard, cannot be unheard" kinda thing.

I'm just a fussy buggar, me thinks.

Hey, we're all fussy buggers; that's why we bought Kempers!

I wonder if dialling a little Pure Cab™ processing in would help your situation. It's my first port of call when the obvious Pick, Presence and Treble parameters fail to tame things sufficiently. Also, for me, dialling back the Definition control can help.

A little amp compression might help smooth things out too.

For me, the culprit is usually phase cancellation due to the mixing of more than one mic or the placement of a single one. That's where I'm a ridiculously-fussy bugger. I can't stand phase cancellation, especially where it hurts most - in the high mids and highs; this is why I ignore Pure Cab™ at my peril.

• All the suggestions above are great but just to be clear, none of them address the 3-4K range. It would be impossible for kemper to have a magic button for this as it changes with amp,mic,mic placement. Almost all the comments above relate to 10k and above, that's not what the post was about.

• This is something I tried a couple of years ago with mixed results. If you're scratching your head and have no idea what we are talking about in the 3-4k range, these video will explain it.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I get the best results with high gain profiles for me when i dont use pure cab, because imho the most good profile are made without pure cab and i think its a big difference when you switch pure cab on. If a profile is a bit ton harsh i set the studio eq in slot x and cut the 2300 hz to - 2 or 3 db and i cut the hights to prox 7500 to 8000 hz.
    But sometimes i use pure cab for clean sounds. I setted it to 3 -4 and parallel i use space up to 4,5.

Edit: As requested from me and many other users, i like to have pure cab n the cab section storeable per rig and not global. Hope kemper will release this feature soon.

Cheers
    Frank

• As requested from me and many other users, i like to have pure cab n the cab section storeable per rig and not global. Hope kemper will release this feature soon.

Yep, that would be a very senseful improvement. (e.g. also some acoustic Rigs don't like the pure Cab)

• I can usually find a good spot in the 4-6k range that can have 6db or more scooped out, fairly tightly, to kill a lot of the "whistly" sort of fizz. Using two (or three, in OS 4.0) Studio EQs after the amp is really handy - for instance, if you set their high-cut knobs to the same frequency the rolloff gets much steeper. I usually park them around 9k without any trouble.

• <p>

I can usually find a good spot in the 4-6k range that can have 6db or more scooped out, fairly tightly, to kill a lot of the &quot;whistly&quot; sort of fizz. Using two (or three, in OS 4.0) Studio EQs after the amp is really handy - for instance, if you set their high-cut knobs to the same frequency the rolloff gets much steeper. I usually park them around 9k without any trouble.

<br />
    <br />
    Same!!! I find that's exactly what I'm having to do for 90% of distorted profiles.</p>