Steven Slate Drums 5 - Finally! Was Due for Release Mid 2014

• 124 bro, (same as Antelope's Goliath but theirs can boost to 132) =O UA Apollo is only 120! :cursing:

I stand corrected, Shawn. Trust a bloody Virgo to correct a Virgo, I say. :D

Still, very-good convertors. Mastering-grade, apparently, but only 1dB quieter than the MOTUs.

Of course, this is esoteric stuff. Anything beyond 100dB should be more-than-adequate given that until recently, with a few notable exceptions such as the EMU EIV series of the '90s (110dB from the expansion outs), the synths, drum machines, FX and guitar processors out there topped out at around 100dB, most in the high 80s and 90s. Vinyl records yield mid-60s, typical cassette decks in the 70s or '80s if excellent, and the ol' CDs' theoretical limit was 96dB, and no player actually achieved that due to physical-component limitations.

So, 100dB is nothing to be sneezed at, and anything approaching 120 or even more is insane for an interface. We're so-spoiled these days.

SSD5's dynamic range will be huge, BTW, with the new playback engine. Resolution will be spectacular IMHO. We'll see I guess...

• The Slate Digital VRS8 was released on September 6th, AJ; IIRC there may be supply issues due to demand. 127 (or was it 128?) dB dynamic range's gonna appeal to a lot of folks, but man, are they pricey. EDIT: Make that 124dB - thank you, Shawn.

The MOTUs I published the spec's for here last year offer 123dB, and at great prices.

I have been seeing them listed in my local music store since last year at least. No stock yet :D

• Aren't they made there LOL! ;):D

I like the new Avatar BTW!

I'm pretty sure they'll be made in China, unlikely in Singapore. The cost of labour will be too high.

Hah! I've been thinking I should change this avatar for a while. I keep asking myself, "Why so serious?"

I mean, I look like the notorious terrorist Abu Ghraib :D

• I'm pretty sure they'll be made in China, unlikely in Singapore. The cost of labour will be too high.

Hah! I've been thinking I should change this avatar for a while. I keep asking myself, "Why so serious?"

I mean, I look like the notorious terrorist Abu Ghraib :D

Hahaha, I thought you were pondering your next amp purchase... like me, LMFAO! I just got a Rev F '92 Dual Rec tonight! :evil:8):evil:

• I stand corrected, Shawn. Trust a bloody Virgo to correct a Virgo, I say. :D

On no. There's several of us. :D

I have read the thread you mentioned with great enjoyment, I was almost starting to wonder if it would ever actually happen. I feared it might be the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 of the musical software world.

I've moved to SD3 in the meantime, and I doubt there's enough here for me to make a switch, but it looks like it will be an awesome piece of gear.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Indeed, Bruce; that's a very-Virgo-balanced outlook, brother. 8o

I have been seeing them listed in my local music store since last year at least. No stock yet :D

Slate products are always listed long before they make it to market, providing the option to pre-order.

That said, I'd never pre-order a Slate product, much as I like the company and its products. Ironically, in the GS thread I linked to Steven has stated that the lesson is learned, so who knows, the company's reputation for promising and then taking eons to deliver may well change for the better. I hope it does; he's a passionate-and-sincere guy, ol' Stevo.

• Brother Shawno, if Strike 2's the only drum software you've got, this'll be a no-brainer buy for you, beleeedat!

IMHO there's been no more-efficient way quality, price and drive-space-wise to reach the point where you can pull of fantastic-sounding kits via software than the SSD series, and v5's gonna up the ante with enhanced dynamic-and-sound resolution...

• Indeed, Bruce; that's a very-Virgo-balanced outlook, brother. 8o

Slate products are always listed long before they make it to market, providing the option to pre-order.

That said, I'd never pre-order a Slate product, much as I like the company and its products. Ironically, in the GS thread I linked to Steven has stated that the lesson is learned, so who knows, the company's reputation for promising and then taking eons to deliver may well change for the better. I hope it does; he's a passionate-and-sincere guy, ol' Stevo.

Yeah, it would have been nice to have the option to pick from when I got my Apollo. Definitely looks like a great product.

How much do you think SSD5 will cost, Nicky? Is there a price tag? I have a few bills in my paypal account that I was saving for Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I could always use a new drum VST.

PS: Does this have positional sensing for the snare and ride like SD3?

• I can tell you that I bought SSD4 Platinum for $89 in September 2015, AJ. I guess at the time it might've been double that RRP.

Nobody knows yet AFAIK, but Steven said he was sending all the info to stores yesterday, so the quickest way to find out might be to monitor Sweetwater as I'm pretty sure it's one of the outlets he communicates with.

My best guess is $149->$179, but that's a gut feeling more than anything else. The upgrade if you have SSD4 will be $79->$89 IMHO.

EDIT:

Positional sensing, I don't think so, but the new scripting engine will likely have some nice combination-rim/snare tricks up its sleeve, and it'll also serve cymbal playing nicely for realism.

You'll also be able to control snare ring, so you could automate that for additional variation IMHO.

• I wouldn't hope too much SD3 will be on sale cheaper. If one own SD2 you're only eligable update to 3 until 31 dec. Probably only cheaper EZ and SDX expansions as usual and their other stuffs. Yes I believe they had SD2 cheaper on black friday and other dates too but that was only becauase they wanted as many as possible to upgrade to 3.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Even Animal out of the Muppet's is looking forward to this

:D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Here's a video showing what's new.

I must say I'm slightly underwhelmed myself :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think it's a case of, "If it ain't broke...", Michael.

His focus has always been on sounds. He didn't mention the new scripted-behaviour engine, and that surprised me a little.

I was definitely hoping he'd give us more detail, but it was after all only an introductory video.

• Well, no wonder he didn't mention some of the things I expected; we've been duped, Michael (and Mats)!

That video was posted in January. Things have developed a little since then.

EDIT:

Kudos to cprompt over at BeerGutz for pointing this out to me after I posted the video there. :pinch: