do I need to buy profiles?

• I like what's in the kemper but want to know if the amp factory stuff is even better?

The profiles that come with the Kemper are very good and with some tweaking will probably get most sounds, however, TheAmpFactory profiles are really something very special and for my mind at least a step up :thumbup:

• Hi

There are a lot of great profiles on the Rig Exchange for free. The advantage of profiles from Amp Factory and Soundside imho is the amount of different Amp Settings. If you buy one special Amp you get for example 30 profiles of this Amp with different Settings for gain, middle, treble and bass. And both have a lot of really rare amps.

• Do you need to buy profiles? NO
    Do you want to buy profiles? Yes :D

With both Amp Factory and Armin's work you're getting some top quality set ups engineered by people who know what they're doing. Check out the sound samples on their page. Also, the Amp factory also has free samples to give you a good idea what you're getting and there are some gems in there. These guys have gotten ahold of some of the best and rarest amps on the planet and lent their engineering skills to getting great profiles. Which means we can get on with the business of making a racket with them :)

I would say definitely check some out 8)

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• Hi

There are a lot of great profiles on the Rig Exchange for free. The advantage of profiles from Amp Factory and Soundside imho is the amount of different Amp Settings. If you buy one special Amp you get for example 30 profiles of this Amp with different Settings for gain, middle, treble and bass. And both have a lot of really rare amps.

There are very good profiles in the Rig Exchange. Follow the threads in "Free rigs and profiles" subforum and you will find very good profiles.

The Amp Factory sells very good profiles. In my opinion, some of them are very good and others only good. I have ended using one or two profiles from every pack I have bought but I'm happy with every euro spent in Andy's profiles.

My experience with Soundside profiles is different. I don't like them. I don't like the combination of heads and cabs he uses (4x12 with V30 on many profiles) and I don't see them as professional grade profiles.

• Don't forget - The Amp Factory's Rig Pack II is included free on the Kemper website, and is included in Firmware 2.1.0.

Here's the link. Then select the "Rig Pack" category drop down.

PRS Singlecuts
    Kemper PowerHead/Remote

Quote from skoczy

When you turn the knob on KPA, you wake up the captured souls of tube amps living inside.

• thanks guys. One more thing. I'm using the KPA power head into a 2x12 cab, so I'm not using the cab sims. Are there different rigs that I should buy since I'm not using the cabs in the KPA?

• do I need to buy profiles?

No, in fact I always recommend not to go and buy a lot of profiles when you are new to the KPA.

First use the profiles which are included - there are a lot of professional made profiles which you'll like.

Learn how to tweak the KPA and how to use the EQ's to modify the raw amp sounds to your liking.

Later go and get SOME profiles of the amps you really like and check if they works for you.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• And once you decide to buy some commercial profiles, go to the commercial profiles subforum and read the opinion of other users and find users with the same preferences as you. Profiles are representations of real amps and not everybody loves Marshalls, or Fenders, or an AC30 no matter how good and true to the original the profile is.

A good raw profile can be tweaked to your liking even if the first impression is bad. This happens with many stock profiles.

• My experience with Soundside profiles is different. I don't like them. I don't like the combination of heads and cabs he uses (4x12 with V30 on many profiles) and I don't see them as professional grade profiles.

Funny things in this thread.... I think Armin's profiles are outstanding, I'm a professional guitar-player for 25 years and I use them all the time. Decide by yourself if these guitar-sounds (all profiles are from Soundside) are not "professional grade profiles":

- Floydstein (Bogner Goldfinger)

- Rusty Fingers (Suhr Badger 30)

- Deep Water (Budda Superdrive)

- Blues For Prince (Fender Princeton)

- Mr. Diezel (Diezel VH-4)

- Monster In The House (Marshall Plexi E)

- Wish You Were A Diamond ('57 Fender Deluxe)

- Jimi-Jam (Marshall 410H)

I personally deleted 90% of the Kemper presets and I found only a few really good profiles in Rig Exchange. If somedbody is happy with free profiles and the Kemper presets, for sure that's ok, too. I use a lot from Armin, some from TAF, some free ones (like the Morgan AC20) and some profiles of my own amps.

P.S.: I'm just a user, I don't sell any profiles and I'm not connected to Soundside.de or TAF.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I personally recommend taking your own profiles as the KPA isn't merely a "player". Once you have grasped how it works and have taken profiles of then amps you own if the need arises of a different amp you can't get hold of then maybe look into other people's profiles, both free and commercial to see if you can find what you are looking for. I see buying profiles as a need arising if you want an amp that you (or your friends) do not own, in other words to broaden your palette. On a different perspective if you are not just a player but happen to be a producer or mixer then you may want to have a few different options when recording or reamping.

• You should also watch the "Free rigs and profiles" section of the forum, people will often post info and/or demos of their profiles which are in the Rig Exchange, and some people don't always post their rigs on rig exchange but rather put them in DropBox or something like that and provide a link for others to download them.

Oh, and the Amp Factory stuff is great, but personally I found Soundside had more of the sound that I was looking for, I'm not saying one is better than the other, they are both great, it just depends on what you are looking for.

Edited once, last by timowens ().

• Funny things in this thread.... I think Armin's profiles are outstanding, I'm a professional guitar-player for 25 years and I use them all the time. Decide by yourself if these guitar-sounds (all profiles are from Soundside) are not "professional grade profiles":

He uses the same cabs on all the heads he profiles and a 4x12 loaded with v30 is probably not the best option for many of them. Can't imagine TAF Gilmour Hiwatt profiled through v30s instead of Fanes. Maybe it would sound good, but IMO this is not the best option if you want to sell profiles of that amp.

Being professional for 25 years gives you an opinion that is not better or worse than another one. It's just an opinion. I know many professionals whose tone sucks.