Kemper profiles are snapshots of amp+cab+mike+ guitar pickups, so.....

• Kemper Profiles are snapshots of amp+cab+mike+guitar pickups, so.....

When I am playing a profile (that I have purchased or part of the library included in the Kemper) with my Jackson Soloist SL1 USA, I am not really hearing my guitar (ie pickups).

How do people feel about this unique anomaly and how do you deal with it?

(I dont have a collection of amps so this would be the only way I would use profiles).

• I'm not sure why everyone thinks that the profile is affected by your pickups or guitar. When you click the Refine button after taking a profile, you play through your real amp so the Kemper can compare what goes in with what comes out, and thus refine the profile it came up with using a real guitar signal instead of UFO sounds. Your pickups are in both the input and output signal, so they don't matter.

The only difference is that, if the original amp was set up with a great single-coil tone, my Duncan Invader is probably not going to sound too hot.

• I've seen the word 'snapshot' used on the internet thousands of times over the last 3 years....it's always used by guitarists who either don't own a Kemper or have never spent a few hours playing a Kemper...in reality I don't know one Kemper owner who uses the word snapshot.

Then we have the internet comments about the Profile only works for a specific guitar, same thing, just internet talk.
    In reality I've watched hundreds of guitarists demoing the Kemper in music stores using dozens of different guitars and it's just glorious tone after glorious tone, no thought about what guitar was used to make the Profile.

I've watched the manager of a music store demoing a Vox AC30 dozens upon dozens of times, different guitars, etc.
    Then, the same guitarist (the manager) takes his Kemper Power Head to a gig, uses a stock factory AC30 Profile, plugs into a Marshall 2X12 cab and has a live tone that destroys the real AC30 we've played a hundred times in the music store.

Wait until you get your Kemper, after a few days I don't think you'll use the word snapshot again.

• It's the same as with real tube amp's - when you switch guitars - you either get another sound or have to adjust your amps controlls (change gain or tone stack setting).

So a given profile which sounds great for a Strat may sound dull and to distorted with a LesPaul - as the amp would do.

And a Killer Metal sound may sound fizzy and weak with a Strat - again as the real amp would.

The good news:
    The KPA has a gain knob and tone stack knobs - and you can tweak your profile sound by this or by adding additional EQ effects before/after the amp.

This may bring you in the right direction for your guitar.

In addition are profiles available which capture not only a few amp settings - but the full range - all you have to do is to select a profile for each of your guitars - and maybe fine tune with the KPA knobs.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Another way to put it, the person profiling the amp will choose the sweet spot he/she feels is great for the guitar used.

This may suit your guitar or not.

If not use the KPA' s tone stack, amp and cabinet parameters to adjust to taste.

Some will work very well, a few will make your draw drop.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• The characteristics of your guitar determine how you dial in the settings on any amp to get the sound you want. This obviously has to be done to a real amp before profiling it, but the guitar has no part in the signal-chain while profiling. The "refine" step at the end of profiling where you play a guitar is meant to ensure that the modelled rig reproduce the sound from manual playing just as good as it handles the generated sounds, but the characteristics of the guitar doesn't matter here either. A finished profile differentiates between various guitars just about as well as the real amp does if you plug in different guitars without touching any of the knobs.

A profile is a snapshot of an amp-rig and doesn't model how amps characteristics change as you move the various knobs, although there are elements of modelling in the algorithms that try to emulate how the amp should react to gain and eq-changes. Still, it is not given that a profile made from an amp dialled in with a guitar with single-coils (ex. tele) works equally well if you try to play through it with humbuckers (ex LP). If you go back to that real amp and plug in something with a humbucker you are also more than likely to change a few settings which in turn change the characteristics of the amp from what was previously profiled.

The KPA would need some robotics hardware so that it could turn the knobs on the amp while profiling to be able to extend the concept of profiles (snapshots) to a complete model of all characteristics of an amplifier.

Edited 2 times, last by heldal ().

• It's the same as with real tube amp's - when you switch guitars - you either get another sound or have to adjust your amps controlls (change gain or tone stack setting).

The good news:
    The KPA has a gain knob and tone stack knobs - and you can tweak your profile sound by this or by adding additional EQ effects before/after the amp.

I feel this is the answer :thumbup:

... But I feel a little bit different concerning the "goods news" :

. when you switch guitar and try to adjust the Kemper for this new guitar/kind of pickup ... it didn't work as easy, as well, than with a "real Tube amp" (imao)

. most of the time you have better to : - adjust your (real) amp for the expected sound for THIS guitar/pickup and create a different profile.

Let say that I use my PRS HB on my Fuchs ODS then my strat : -> easy to tweak my Fuchs ... not really perfect with tweaking the Kemper :huh:

With two different profiles : really much better !!!

What do you think ???

Hb :thumbup:

• when you switch guitar and try to adjust the Kemper for this new guitar/kind of pickup ... it didn't work as easy, as well, than with a "real Tube amp" (imao)

the Definition parameter does wonders in adjusting a profile quickly to radically different sounding pickups. also, our EQ is quite powerful, so you might have to make less adjustments then you think.
    and if your amp features eq before the distortion stages, make sure to switch our EQ to 'pre'

people who use this 'argument' (see quote in original post) always seem to haven an agenda, either they just don't want to like the product, or would like to appear clever, but fail to see that their statement is:

a) an exaggeration, to the point of distorting the facts
    and
    b) in it's true sense one of the reasons so many guitar players love the Profiler: it reacts completely natural to you pickups and brings out the voice of your guitar

not talking about the OP who came here asking a question in a civil manner, but about the ones that quite possibly never played the Profiler, yet propagate this myth or better this misinterpretation of the facts.

internet :rolleyes:

:)

• +800000.

My guitars show their distinctive sounds, even thru the same profile.
    Those engineers probably have never played the KPA.
    Period.

• Just to add my consideration: every profile is absolutely indipendent from the guitar used to take it. Moreover the refining process is only a little part of the entire process, and, as the word says it only "refine". So, for example, you can take an amp without connecting any guitar to it, profile it with 3-4 gain position (not more) with the main different EQ settings, and you have stored 95% of a thousands dollars Real Amp in a perfect way with no more than 10-15 profiles per Channel (in 1h of profiling session).
    What else give you such performance?

We often listen to a sound and then we start comment... it's good, it's awful, it's fantastic and so on, but the Kemper main philosofy is not to give us the good or the bad sound, rather is to perfectly replicate the Real Amps: you like that Amp with that cab and with that mic? Well you will have it perfectly replicated on the KPA... You don't like that amp coupled with that cab/mic? Well, you will find it again in your KPA, just one second to push "delete" and go ahead...
    If you like more a sound build in a digital way than the real analog amp, well, don't buy the KPA, go for other products!

Finally, what else give you the A/B comparison in real time? Found me only one product that gives you the possibility to compare in real time the digital "reincarnation" vs the real analog one... I believe that the Kemper team needed to be sure of their product that they are selling to have the courage to expose themselves in this manner. They could not implement the A / B comparison to avoid major exposure, right? But they didn't... exactly to demonstrate the unique quality that have this unique machine.

Find me only one single demo that compares with a loop of a guitar emulation of the Boss, Line6, Axe (however great digital products) vs. Real Amp .. with A / B comparison, I still haven't found one ...

• It looks like, with my poor English language, I don't explain correctly my point :

OF COURSE, with ALL the tweaking possibilities of the Kemper, you will be able to adjust -if necessary- a profile for a different guitar/pickups = but AGAIN , IMAO, I feel easier to have another profile ready to use ... that's all !

... we have room for more than 1000 profiles, so it doesn't seem a nightmare to have two profiles for one amp ... :)

And, as I have ended my previous post with a question mark, thanks for your own point of view that I understand .

I really love my Kemper and don't want to "look clever", just wish to use it the way it feels easier for me :) ... and YES it comes close to the "Real Tube Amp" :)

Hb :thumbup:

• Actually I'd say that KPA is, in some way, more pick up/guitar sensitive than real amps: in the real world we have to dial with may things that affect the tone (volume, feedback, guitar speaker diffusion, etc.)! Using the KPA I don't have to worry about many of theese things, and so I can appreciate all the little differences between different guitars....

I mean, if a use a semi hollow guitar with quiet pick up and I want a crunchy tone I have to keep a pretty high volume on a real amp. We all know that a guitar cab is very directional and feedback may occour. Then we have to consider the interaction between the amp and the cab that can change drammatically when different volume settings are used (which can be a desiderable thing or not). So...many different things affect the tone!
    Instead, using the KPA I can appreciate all the nuances of the guitar, without having to worry about feedback, volume pressure, etc...

• OF COURSE, with ALL the tweaking possibilities of the Kemper, you will be able to adjust -if necessary- a profile for a different guitar/pickups = but AGAIN , IMAO, I feel easier to have another profile ready to use ... that's all !

Sure, I agree on this point, if one have the possibility it's better more real profiles than more tweaked ones, even if the tweaking is a very powerful tool...

• Thanks for the lively dialog and informative responses everyone. I am glad no one here feel threatened by my honest curiosity about this product. Several more hours and Im sure my concerns will be laid to rest when I plug in & start playing & exploring the Kemper. :D

• Go on with the discussion, guys.
    This actually helps to spread the truth about the profiler.
    I'm guilty myself to have used the word 'snapshot' before I was a profiler user.
    Boy I was wrong!
    Silly me! ;)

... not only, I'll go on but NO these are not 'snapshot'.

The fact that LIKE with a real amp, I've to change some parameters from one guitar to another AND that I have to do the SAME with the Kemper DEMONSTRATE that the Kemper reacts LIKE a real amp !

So, After that, as I prepar my pedalboard before a gig : let say : Channel 1 Clean + reverb, Channel 2 Crunch + an OD, ... ... : I do the SAME with the Kemper ... by using different profiles !

And as Maurizio70 adds, why not use directly a real profile ( you create it ONE time forever, so no big deal ) ( ... and BTW I specially appreciate YOUR profiles Maurizio70 ! Thanks to share)

Not to be more clever, but it seems logical for me and real close to the use of a real amp ?

Do I'm wrong ?