2.4 Beta - First Impressions...wow!

• So, I've not been using my Kemper through being burnt out with lots of work....but fired it up for 15 mins last night before updating to the 2.4 beta.

Wow! First impressions are that the amp B/M/T and Cab controls are much more amp like in response, and don't go to extremes like before. By combining the high and low cab parameters you can yield a lot of good and some almost lo-fi tones...but, the cab shift (i forget the button name) now gives that much more 'amp in the room' feel.

Going back through presets gave me the impression of a much 'warmer' tube like tones from a lot of amps. Not that they were 'cold' before, more if you shut your eyes you can smell the tubes cooking!

Btw, I just installed it straight over my previous 2.3 firmware - guess that's the right way to go?

Overall, it might be subtle - but it's definitely another tone leap forward.

-Tonerider

• Wow! First impressions are that the amp B/M/T and Cab controls are much more amp like in response, and don't go to extremes like before. By combining the high and low cab parameters you can yield a lot of good and some almost lo-fi tones...but, the cab shift (i forget the button name) now gives that much more 'amp in the room' feel.

Completely agree on that, I tested the CAB controls (the Amp EQ are not changed!) and compared the two release and this latest one is a BIG improvement on those parameters. Thanks Kemper Team!!! :thumbup:

The only drowback is that if you tweaked some old profiles using strongly these parameters and you were happy with them, you have now to check them once again to re-tweak to your taste since the sound is now changed. Fortunately a lot of us (inlcuding me) touched very rarely these Cab parameters and, if so, just a little bit variation from the neutral position (mainly because they were not very usable before with wider ranges).

• Hey lobster / Hans,

No real tips for Cab - just go with what sounds right to your ears. For me, right to around 3 o clock sounds good. But that's how I like - anything from 12-3. Enjoy!

• It's not like you NEED to tweak the CAB parameters if you like your profile. But instead you can get a huge amount of variety in the type of tube distortion you have going on. Phatter -> Telephone lo-fi as said.

The range is so much wider than before, and the usefulness of the sound.

This is more for those who like to explore and create more variety in sounds. The profile gets to the amp, then these parameters get away from the amp allowing you more control to carve sonically. Yet it never leaves amp realism or departs so much from the profile it becomes ugly, absurd, or alien.

In summary, it's not necessary, but it's a new powerful and tastefully done new tool!

• Completely agree on that, I tested the CAB controls (the Amp EQ are not changed!) and compared the two release and this latest one is a BIG improvement on those parameters. Thanks Kemper Team!!! :thumbup:

The only drowback is that if you tweaked some old profiles using strongly these parameters and you were happy with them, you have now to check them once again to re-tweak to your taste since the sound is now changed. Fortunately a lot of us (inlcuding me) touched very rarely these Cab parameters and, if so, just a little bit variation from the neutral position (mainly because they were not very usable before with wider ranges).

same for me here maurizio as for the cab parameters. I have always had them to 0. what should I expect when passing to 2.4?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I updated to 2.40 last night and I concur: the amp EQ controls seem so much more effective. I did some tweaking to a profile I've been using of late (no secret which one it is) and I was impressed with the resultant JP2 profile, even more so because when I was done, the output was no longer clipping like it would with the stock profile. Consequently, I was able to keep the rig volume at the same level, which would have resulted in disparate volume levels between multiple profiles, something I've been meaning to crack down on, but haven't been inclined to amid practice.

• Anyone else find that the output is a little hotter after installing this? ie the output LED gets peaky (red) on rigs that it wasnt red before. I dont think i hear anything displeasing - limited TOK (time on Kemper) so far. Overall i LOVE what i hear! I'll snoop and see if any embedded volume levels got reset. If not, i'm fine with editing my rigs to lower the volumes. Another clue, my previos OS may not have been up to date.

• I haven't, but this is a difficult thing to remember.

It's so easy to have hit the volume knob on the guitar or have your audio card set higher, etc. So many variables.

Only way I could tell is I have a comfortable zone for headphone listening to my favorite profiles, so if I had to drop that back, I'd notice it.

The release says this shouldn't be happening though, so if it is, we will see a lot of posts to that effect for the team to look into.

• Same hear. Output seems to be a little bit hotter.

• Update:

Ok, I went through all my rigs. I couldn't tell if they were louder in general, but there was ONE that I had tweaked a lot before that was clipping easily, all the time, even at low volumes that NEVER clipped before.

I had an EQ plugin and nothing on it was tweaked but the volume which was jacked up to +4.9

This is something I never do, but had toyed with on this one, because EQ volume raising sounds different than regular volume raising to me. Also there is a difference pre-stack vs post-stack which TAF used to use a lot on his profiles, I had mine Pre-Stack in slot 4.

Anyhow, I dropped it to +1.7 and it stopped.

Again, this NEVER happened before and now it was red-lining on all guitar strikes even with the volume knob on my LP down to 3. So I am wondering if you have volume boosts in your effects and if that is different with 2.4.0, whereas regular volume/gain levels are unaffected.

Turning the guitar and Kemper volume knob down doesn't stop clipping until I get near 1-2 on the knobs. So clearly the EQ doesn't something different with volume.

Edited once, last by db9091 ().