Difference between head and rack

• I noticed there a more knobs on the head and the usb port is on the back. What are the differnces between head and rack apart from the obvious form factor?

BOYCOTT wikipedia - USE en.metapedia.org
    BOYCOTT youtube - USE trutube.tv
    BOYCOTT google - USE startpage.com

• No LED ring for most controls.
    No 'Mod' knobs
    USB front instead of back

all the rest is the same.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Sounds like you get more for your money buying the head, if form factor is not a concern.

• The form factor can be a big consideration for a lot of people. Some people like racks because they can integrate a wireless system, power supplies, X, Y and Z into a single box. Others like me prefer the toaster because it's easy to transport in a backpack.

The LEDs are a bit of a plus though, I'd say. Nothing like it to tell where your knobs are pointed, since they're endlessly rotary thingies. The mod controls not so much, since you can do the same thing by holding down the delay and reverb button and setting them however you want.

Sound-wise, since they are identical, I would agree with Ingold. There isn't any difference worth mentioning.

• I absolutely LOVE the LED collars on my toasters, for me that's a huge advantage over the rack version.
    The main downside of the toaster is the position of its USB A connector. If you have the Profiler fully cabled, then it's a bit awkward to access it on the back of the beast. Problem is a bit less evident nowadays, since we have Rig Manager. So I only need access to the connector when I do firmware updates. Maybe this is something that could be handled by a future Rig Manager version.

• I absolutely LOVE the LED collars on my toasters, for me that's a huge advantage over the rack version.
    The main downside of the toaster is the position of its USB A connector. If you have the Profiler fully cabled, then it's a bit awkward to access it on the back of the beast. Problem is a bit less evident nowadays, since we have Rig Manager. So I only need access to the connector when I do firmware updates. Maybe this is something that could be handled by a future Rig Manager version.

Definitely seconded :)

I believe/hope RM will become the Profiler's logistic center for anything which relates to software management, included any future editing option.

I guess you've already tried with porting the USB socket to front via a short cable?

I have both the toaster and rack version and like lightbox states above the LED's on the toaster are very convenient when on the fly tweaking. The toaster I use in my studio and the rack I use live. I do miss the LED's live though :(

• the form factor will also dictate to some degree how accessible the unit will be.

a rack is typically always further away than a nicely chosen spot for the lunchbox.
    the Profiler was designed with a common "player <-> amp"-scenario in mind and a lot of attention and experience went into the design of the UI.

• I've had both but ended up with the rack, the toaster I felt was too vulnerable for a working band situation. At first I really missed the LEDs but quickly realized I don't need to know what the setting is, it's a wasted step, all I need to do is listen and let my ears tell me what to do, my current settings don't matter. Now I just think about what I'm hearing and what needs to change and go ahead and try the change. It's actually helped me get dialed in quicker and stay more alert for room dynamics changes during shows.

• I mounted my toaster in a rack... I guess that makes me either really clever or really dumb. :)

However a shallow 6U rack is really great for my setup. I've got a power conditioner, the toaster, a 44 Magnum, and eventually the converter for one of Gordius' FCB1010 kits in a fairly compact space. There's even room for a patch panel on the front if I ever get around to building it.

• I mounted my toaster in a rack... I guess that makes me either really clever or really dumb. :)

:P

Didn't someone make a hard case for the toaster, I think I saw it on CrapBay?

• Yeah I've seen one for sale on thomanns I think ?(

http://www.thomann.de/de/thon_…_kemper_profiling_amp.htm

I find the LEDs on the toaster to be essential for on-the-fly tweaking on-stage. I tend to use the KPA very much like a real amp. I.e. just a handful of rigs with a lot of tweaks to gain/volume and tone along the way. I have also gone wireless, and find it convenient to have most of the rig pre-connected and ready to go. My solution is to mount the KPA toaster on a shelf in a shallow 6U rack with the receiver for the wireless in the 6th slot, and then put the little rack on an amp-stand on stage.

For this you want a very shallow rack. I've built my own from parts I had laying around, but would otherwise use one of those made for the new breed of digital stageboxes such as this
    Most shelves for 19" units are considerably deeper than this type of racks so you'll need to cut off a bit so it won't stick out on the back.

Here's the rack sitting on a shelf at home:
    [Blocked Image: http://img5.fotos-hochladen.ne…ads/kparackk67el2czq4.jpg]
    The panels on either side of the profiler are cut from a sheet of aluminium and painted.

An amp-stand such as this works a treat if you don't have a backline stack to put the KPA on top of.

• The LED collar issue actually KEPT me from buying the rack. The LED collars on Bass - Mid - Treble - Presence are huge and not just because they look cool - They give you an indication where these knobs are in their range even when they haven't been touched in the last few seconds. With a profiling amp the numeric values of those knobs comes up on the screen when you rotate a knob - but goes away after 2 seconds.

This is an easy fix for Kemper with a software update - they need to put the values on the LCD screen right above each knob and let the values stay. As it stands you need to actually jiggle the knob to get that numeric value to pop up on the display. That's a pain when there are 4 knobs that are often adjusted to dial in a sound in a home studio situation (I have racks for my gear at home).

The screen should always have the numeric value like this:

Bass -1.5 Middle +2.5 Treble -3.0 Presence +4.8

• They don't disappear on my Power Rack?!?!

Cheers,
    Sam

Edit : unless I go into a different menu, of course

Yes, they always remain there on the rack. I too think it would be a good idea if this was also present on the toaster all the time, all it should take is a simple firmware update. Values are always good, though I find the LEDs to be a good system too, since it's easier to read.