Bought myself a Boss SY-300. 100% fun ( EDIT: lasting one week). ;)

• only a half ! gotta be worth more than that ! to be honest i was very tempted to buy but just havent heard anything too exciting so far, probably the Gundy Keller demos are the best, and there is one metal demo on youtube which seems to work quite well. i think the creative possibilities are very interesting and the tech is excellent but will probably wait for a possible next version to appear, but glad you are enjoying it, and to be fair fun is always a good thing !

Apart from the special effect sounds the device works best when it's supplementing the guitar tone. Think of clean picking with added strings or distorted tones backed up with a nasty synth or things like that. That works great. Most demos are focusing on the pure synth sound and this is, well, a pure synth sound. Nothing new or fancy there.

I don't think that you can replace a synth player with just a guitar and the SY-300. And that's ok as that not the purpose of the device.

• Thanks a lot Ingolf, I had thought I was mostly cured of gear gas(except guitars) and I had been able to mostly ignore these. NOW, Im starting to imagine the ridiculous possibilities when combining this with the kemper.....We all know where this leads...

• now Im wondering about how you might go through the kemper first but still using the loop method so that I might be able to use expression pedals from the remote and leave the sy 300 near the kemper. Or is it possible to send the correct cc thru midi to utilize expression on sy 300 via the remote exp pedal ?

• now Im wondering about how you might go through the kemper first but still using the loop method so that I might be able to use expression pedals from the remote and leave the sy 300 near the kemper. Or is it possible to send the correct cc thru midi to utilize expression on sy 300 via the remote exp pedal ?

The Remote does not send CC data when moving an expression pedal.

• Well guys, I will now admit openly that I'm sending my unit back (contrary to my slightly exaggerated thread title).
    In my normal band context I have no real use for it, and even when I get adventurous in my very personal songwriting/recording/noodling around situations I've always found that the synth alone is only, well, a synth. And when I blend my guitar in I always come back to finding that my guitar through my kemper sounds glorious.
    Note to self: I'm primarily a guitarist, a guitar sound loving human being.
    Gotta go playing guitar more.
    ;)

• Yes, that is what I have found in the past. I have tried numerous guitar synths and had always stopped using them. If I really want keyboard sounds I play keyboard or better yet let my keyboard player do that, lol. When I play the guitar, I am most happy with just guitar. I do use midi bass pedals from time to time, I do find it useful in a band situation to limit sequencing as much.

• That is kind of sad after all of us getting excited.

I Guess we should take the original recommendation as well as the about face with a pinch of salt. I'm pretty sure some guys will have a completely smart way to work it into their setup if they don't have a keyboardist. But for guys who imagine that it's like playing a guitar: it is not. Synth guitar is very different and can be quite unpredictable in my experience. But touch wood, I have been enjoying my setup more ever since I worked in the synth sounds, some pretty cool stuff you can do.

• I made the same experience and had literally all available guitar synths. It is fun more a time and somehow fascinating but then something is always missing and I remember what is the right thing for me to do... let the guitar scream and with a guitar synth this is not satisfying at all. Still have the Fishmann thing that I use from time to time to fool some people playing guitar with a piano sound.. An expensive joke.

• That's funny, Ingolf. Glad I didn't rush out to buy one. I'd probably have sent mine back quick as well. Glad you shared your thoughts and experiences with it.

Besides guitar, I also play a lot of keys and real synths in my bands anyway, would have just been another expensive toy!

Gary ô¿ô

• Best demo I've heard of SY-300 so far...

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Nothing, WhiteFang, and welcome to the forum, mate.

The synth generates its sound internally, triggered by a guitar's signal. When you profile, the Kemper sends the SpaceWars™ routine through the device, so in this case, the synth engine wouldn't have sensed the guitar signal and subsequent pitch cues it looks for before generating sound. Therefore, I think it's safe to say that the Kemper either received nothing in return from the signal it sent or a straight-through copy of it.

The Kemper will provide results Profiling anything that alters a signal being sent through it. A triggered synth doesn't do this; it instead generates a completely-new and unrelated signal tone-wise.