Kemper destroys tonight!

• So, tonight at rehearsal, one of the other guitar players had a line 6 helix, he had just gotten it recently but did not bring it to rehearsal until he ‘tweaked’ his tones…
    I must say, the KPA absolutely destroys some of these other modelers, I just couldn’t believe how massive my tone sounded thru the PA/FOH,
    I was using the Bert M Friedman pack and I am speechless… I realize the helix is roughly half the price, but the KPA sounded 10X the price tonight.
    I am still very new (6mths) to non-tube modeling/profiling/digital/amplifiers and I must say, tonight I was completely blown away of how good this Kemper box actually is…
    I am not at all a fan boy type of person but I really am still completely in awe at the difference in these two units…

• I have both a KPA and a Helix. Although I prefer the Kemper and use it most of the time, the difference between the two isn't huge when both are set up properly. The biggest difference is that the Kemper is much easier to get great results with quickly, whereas the Helix requires more effort to piece together a great signal chain. Once you learn the little tricks involved, however, it's fairly easy to get the Helix sounding really good.

• I have both a KPA and a Helix. Although I prefer the Kemper and use it most of the time, the difference between the two isn't huge when both are set up properly. The biggest difference is that the Kemper is much easier to get great results with quickly, whereas the Helix requires more effort to piece together a great signal chain. Once you learn the little tricks involved, however, it's fairly easy to get the Helix sounding really good.

Hey Frodebro,
    It makes sense as there’s no way it could be as bad as what I was hearing…

• Hey Frodebro,It makes sense as there’s no way it could be as bad as what I was hearing…

With the KPA it's simply a matter of finding a great profile, then adding effects to suit your needs. With the Helix you have to choose the amp, choose the cab, dial in the amp, select the mic and position for the cab, and then tweak some more. That, or find a cab IR that's in the ballpark, then tweak everything from there.

I've gotten really great sounds with my Helix, but it took time to make them great. Lots of trial-and-error involved during the early period of ownership.

• It sounds crazy but I still, today, am just tickled happy what I was hearing In that 1500 seat church theatre last night…
    I took my in ear monitors out a couple of times just to make sure I was really hearing what I was hearing… Incredible!
    And if any of you guys are looking for amazing profiles in the Marshall High and Low gain Flavors, do yourself a favour and get Bert Meulendijk‘s Friedman pack!
    :thumbup:

• Was he using 3rd party IR's? With the Helix that is imperative from those I know who use it (including ex-Kemperites). May also depend on the amp model he used; some are definitely better than others.

• Same experience here under different circumstances:

I was playing four shows with a Band. I used my KPA.
    On the fifth show a different guitarist played. He used the Helix.

The MD later said, that the KPA definitely has the much better sounds than the Helix.

• Was he using 3rd party IR's? With the Helix that is imperative from those I know who use it (including ex-Kemperites). May also depend on the amp model he used; some are definitely better than others.

Yes, I understand the Helix is extremely dependent on IR’s ... The ones that come with it are weak,

• Our other guitarist uses a Helix and I think he gets some really good sounds, so defo how its set up.

Funnily enough he had probs on Sat with a new preset that sounded really bad ( like it was clipping)..

You can get a bad sound out of both and a good sound out of both.

Still prefer my KPA though...

I aslo went and bought the BM Freidman pack off the back of this...pretty good, very "full"

• and try the friedman also with other cabs. They sound awesome with a 1960AV from deadlight studios. It‘s a cab from one of their freebees on rm. Search for deadlight.

• and try the friedman also with other cabs. They sound awesome with a 1960AV from deadlight studios. It‘s a cab from one of their freebees on rm. Search for deadlight.

I never change cabs but never k ow where to start, so gonna give that a go...thanks Eltzejupp!!!