Rookie: seeking advice, and recommendations on making the KPA the center of my sonic universe!

• Hi Gang,

Let me start off by saying, that I (profusely) apologize for asking some of the questions listed in this post, as they may have already been answered in the myriads of other threads similar to this one. Here it goes!

In the essence, I've come to the decision of using the toaster as the absolute center of my rig; I am currently at planning stage, fyi. I will want to utilize the Strymon fx that I already own, as well as my Tokyo (Precision) drive, and will definitely be utilizing the Profiler Remote, and the Mission Engineering's Expression Pedal. I will be connecting that to a pair of Line 6 Powercab 112 Plus units that offer speaker simulation and IR programming. Because of that I will be using the regular toaster, not the power-head version.

I am requesting recommendations from you guys & gals, as to what the optimal rooting options would be for the setup in question. For example, as far as the OD goes, I am assuming the optimal way would be to run in front of the toaster, pretty much the same way as with a conventional amp, right? Or maybe not, or "it depends"?

Similarly, since the Strymons are stereo and I've run them stereo most of the time, utilizing the fx loop @the KPA would be the optimal way of dealing with that, yes/no? Or maybe they could be connected to the Profiler Remote, rather than the toaster itself (just for convenience, if anyone asks) - is this even possible?

This is the kind of stuff that now runs through my mind, and I would welcome your suggestions & recommendations on making the whole rig happen. THANK YOU so much in advance for sharing your experiences with me. Love ya all!

--
    Cheers!

When it comes to the tone, go for the jugular!

• I agree with Shawn. The Kemper appears to take boosters of all types at its input extremely-well, just like tube amps.

I am requesting recommendations from you guys & gals, as to what the optimal rooting options would be...

"Optimally", I'd stick to hotties if at all possible.

• Lol! Re: rooting.

Apparently Windows knows that when you are asking for routing options you actually mean rooting! Too funny.

BTW, as I’m typing this post my iPhone suggested “arousing options”, so I guess the Win autocorrect wasn’t that bad at all, eh? Lol!

Thanks for all your replies, Gang!

--
    Cheers!

• Not sure I can match these arousing responses... ;)

Not sure you have much options here...

The principles are the same witha tube amp, to run drive through the front and modulation via the effects loop.

Persoanlly I'd question the need for a drive pedal given the versatility of the KPA but that's a personal preference :)

• A quick question for some of you more experienced users.

Why would you put the drive in front of the KPA rather than in the dedicated distortion loop? Is that something you would always do or only because Michael will need the loop for the Strymon pedals?

I'd only consider using the distortion loop if you wanted to run an internal Stomp in front of the physical drive pedal, for example a Kemper wah etc.

• TBH ... I don't use a drive in front (I have experimented with them), only a Freqout (which IMHO, works better there). My response above was for @mmmaslowski 's benefit as he has a 'favourite' drive already. My favourite built in stomp drive is the Mouse, particularly a nicely tweaked version al la klon, which I found here on the forum.

• TBH ... I don't use a drive in front (I have experimented with them), only a Freqout (which IMHO, works better there). My response above was for @mmmaslowski 's benefit as he has a 'favourite' drive already. My favourite built in stomp drive is the Mouse, particularly a nicely tweaked version al la klon, which I found here on the forum.

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate it. I've never been able to get pleasing results setting up the OD in an fx loop, but I will concede that I have not experimented much with it.

If I were to put the OD in the fx loop of the KPA, would you recommend - based on your experience - putting them in front of the modulation fx sequence, or after? I understand that this is not exactly a KPA-specific question, but the more info I have at hand, the better, so thank you in advance!

BTW, I am not that big on OD, but I simply like having a quick stomp for some chugging. Above all, I'd like to find some good use for the finer specimens. Naturally, if the KPA fx prove to be of finer quality, I'll probably get rid of them.

--
    Cheers!

• Od in front, strymon in fx loop behind the amp section.

What strymon fx is it? I think a reverb no?

I also run a freqout in front of the kpa and also the paul gilbert airplane flanger for a crazy fx.
    I also tried different od stomps in front, but in the end i thought that the internal stomp od's are so good, that i didnt use a real od stomp in front. I think you will check this out.

High end delays are more than enough
    in the kpa so i think you talk about the big sky. I also thought to buy a big sky or an eventide because the reverbs are not so optimal imho.

But i hear a little voice in my ear that says save the money...........

• Thanks! We’re talking the Big Sky, the TimeLine, and the Mobius. Oh, and there’s that wonderful one called the Deco. They are all left with me after selling my main amp - a decision aiding me in transitioning to the KPA.

Glad to hear some encouraging comments about the internal OD stomps (not that I was expecting any opposite comments, BTW).

--
    Cheers!

• If I were to put the OD in the fx loop of the KPA, would you recommend - based on your experience - putting them in front of the modulation fx sequence, or after? I understand that this is not exactly a KPA-specific question, but the more info I have at hand, the better, so thank you in advance!

Ok , my advice above still stands but... IF and only IF (!) you want to run an external chain of all your pedals, then I would put the OD in front of your mod/del/rev etc. However ... There is, as you know, only one loop available. So, you can put it in front of the stack (the 'amp') in stomps A-D, but everything would be in mono (not ideal for your stereo fx) or you could place it after the stack in the X or mod slot but the your od would be after the 'amp', also not ideal. This is why the general feeling is to have the od in front of the KPA and the time-based stuff in the X (or mod) slot after the stack. That said, there is nothing to stop you trying any position/order of external fx. The only limitation being that you only have one loop to play with.
    FWIW, I use an eventide H9 in the X slot (in mono, cos I'm lazy - cables!) which works well as the signal is s stereo'ed (if that is a word) by either/or the KPA's mod, delay or reverb. Also, I don't have the H9 hooked up to MIDI, so it's patches are independently selected via an up/down foot switch and it is brought in and out of play by the X slot as required.
    I tend to use different 'amps' (in a performance) for general clean/edge/crunch/lead. For my 'chugging' (quick or otherwise) I use an Orange amp 'pushed', if required with a clean boost)
    I think what I'm trying to say, is try everything! You might hit on something unconventional that you like, regardless of the approval of others. If it works, don't fix it. If it doesn't, start again, AT-V

• I don’t really use OD pedals much as I tend to prefer the gain from the amp itself. However, i did do a quick A/B comparison between my Boss DS1 and the DS1 simulation in the KPA. I placed the real DS1 in the distortion loop in stomp slot D and toggled back and forward between them. I couldn’t make them sound exactly the same but they were definitely close enough that I could hapily have used the KPA version insted of faffing around with the real one.

I’m also not a hige user of delay or mudulation effects but when I do use them they come from Strymon Timeline and Mobius pedals. However, I haven’t turned on either of those snce I got the KPA. Maybe there are some slight sonic improvements from the Strymons but for my needs they aren’t significant enough to merit the hassle of carrying extra pedals and power. The convenience of having everything inside one unit trumps any slight tonal differences for me.

• I do use a couple of ext stomp boxes in B (A is my compressor). But I'm using a mini effect GIZMO (RJM) to select them individually as needed. I do also use RJM Mastermind GT16 instead of Kemper remote and in front of my Kemper, I've Fulltone Wah and a FreqOut. Regarding FX / modulation, I'm quite happy with build in delays and reverbs. They do their job very well. I'm struggling a little bit to get a nice Chorus as well as a Flanger, but luckely, I do have to use not too often as I'm playing just Rock Covers

BTW any advices how to achieve a good chorus sound like TC or good Flanger like the Harman Analog Flanger are well appriciated.

• These all are fantastic replies allowing me to have more than one perspective on the matter - the goal for this post to begin with. Thank you all so very much!

--
    Cheers!

• Ok , my advice above still stands but... IF and only IF (!) you want to run an external chain of all your pedals, then I would put the OD in front of your mod/del/rev etc. However ... There is, as you know, only one loop available. So, you can put it in front of the stack (the 'amp') in stomps A-D, but everything would be in mono (not ideal for your stereo fx) or you could place it after the stack in the X or mod slot but the your od would be after the 'amp', also not ideal. This is why the general feeling is to have the od in front of the KPA and the time-based stuff in the X (or mod) slot after the stack. That said, there is nothing to stop you trying any position/order of external fx. The only limitation being that you only have one loop to play with.FWIW, I use an eventide H9 in the X slot (in mono, cos I'm lazy - cables!) which works well as the signal is s stereo'ed (if that is a word) by either/or the KPA's mod, delay or reverb. Also, I don't have the H9 hooked up to MIDI, so it's patches are independently selected via an up/down foot switch and it is brought in and out of play by the X slot as required.
    I tend to use different 'amps' (in a performance) for general clean/edge/crunch/lead. For my 'chugging' (quick or otherwise) I use an Orange amp 'pushed', if required with a clean boost)
    I think what I'm trying to say, is try everything! You might hit on something unconventional that you like, regardless of the approval of others. If it works, don't fix it. If it doesn't, start again, AT-V

The mono output would be a no-no in my book. Putting the OD after the modulation fx does not sound like a good idea to begin with, but I've seen that done - all comes down to individual preferences. Obviously, I'd like to try all of the options, but it appears that my initial idea was sound - basically treat the KPA as a regular amp.

Something that has just come to my mind - when you refer to the particular slots (X, Mod, as well as the A - D ones), I understand that the KPA allows you to select its internal fx and assign them one per each slot as part of your own rig. Is the same true for the external fx? What I am asking is this: would I be able to assign an external fx signal coming from the fx loop to a stomp slot on the KPA (mentioned above) and save it as a separate/distinct rig for future use?

--
    Cheers!