Guitar pick consultation

• Slight tangent... I've found that the older I get, the less grip I have with my skin. I've used normal Ultex material since it's been a thing, but I've had to start etching them to get some ridges on there. I usually use .73 sharp tip now and don't like the sound of anything else I've tried for most things.

I go up to 2.0 and between sharp and normal point depending on the treble response and feel I'm after.

Anyone use anything like that gorilla snot stuff? Double side tape? 🙂

• Official Post

Slight tangent... I've found that the older I get, the less grip I have with my skin.

pick slippage is a real issue for me too.
    the Primetone picks mentioned earlier do not have that problem, even though they have no extra ridges etc - must be the material.
    RE: Guitar pick consultation

The D-Grip picks are also awesome - maximum grip and great tone
    https://janicekpicks.com/en/produkty

• ... had similar pick slippage problems as well .... for the last 8 years I'm using V picks - a bit pricy but these pick (I use the Euro II) solved the problems ... from their website & I can confirm this :) >> Acrylic is the material used in crafting V-PICKS. A proprietary mixture of two different acrylics is used plus an inert material. The manufacturer states that materials and mixtures are chosen to render a strong, long wearing guitar pick that has a gripping quality which reacts to the temperature in the players fingertips.

• Two years later I'm still on these picks. Absolutely love them! Thanks for the tip. And I haven't had to discard the first ones. They last forever. I play almost daily.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I’ve been using 2mm mandolin picks for years but you’ve convinced me to give the dunlops a whirl don’t let me down 😎

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I’ve been using 2mm mandolin picks for years but you’ve convinced me to give the dunlops a whirl don’t let me down 😎

Depends on what sound you are after. Dunlop Ultex picks are brighter sounding picks (but in a good way, not cheap).

Some people don't like Ultex and favour something like the Dunlop Flex picks that are pretty warm sounding, but not very dynamic imo (some people call this consistent and great for shredding). All have their operation area.

The Dunlop Primetone Small Tri picks are very versatile and dynamic - with some practice you can achieve cutting bright or balanced smooth tones with the contoured bevels. And you can naturally control the loudness and character of the attack with the angle and amount of force you put into it.

For example this works better with Primetone picks than with the praised BlueChips. BlueChip picks sound pretty similar to the Flex picks (but feel different): clear and warm attack with lack of some dynamic (and character), but nice consistent tone for mandolin, bluegrass...

The Dunlop Flow picks are great universal picks that get fuller and warmer sounding with increasing thickness, but you also get more and more chirp and clicking sound (1,5mm sounds best and very balanced imo).

Dunlop Flow Gloss are great picks too and feature a different bevel - it's an almost tactical weapon, vey precise, but still plays very "flowish".

• I wait with bated breath I prefer a middley sort of ping so I got the non gloss ones. I also took a leaf from the TombQuayle playbook and am trying to pick much lighter

• I really like the GRAVITY Gold Series. It's the cheaper line compared to the older Gold Classic picks, but made out of the same durable material (PEEK).

Because it is only available in one (molded) standard form, I use them as basis to make my own picks / shapes - see above.

Soundwise PEEK is in the middle between Vespel (BlueChip Picks) and Ultem - a tiny bit crisper than Vespel, but not as much highs as Ultem.

• Official Post

thanks to the recommendations here, I still play Prime Tones, but usually not live since they have a tendency to disappear and our singer who plays acoustic in a few songs loooves to come over and ask for a pick.
    The black Jazz III XL is my default go to, but currently I'm giving the Jazz III Tortex 1.35mm a try and after a few shows I'm quite happy with them.

• This is how the Gravity Gold Series Standard picks look in original. Unaltered they sound much warmer / rounder. A bit like the Dunlop Delrin 500 many will know. With other bevels and sharper tip they produce brighter tones.

I have tons of new picks to test here. Very interesting ones like TECHPICKS ITALY or Presicion Pick from "Dan's Guitar Store", Ibanez Elastomer, different Pickboy Ultem picks, Dunlop Jason Richardson Signature, Big Stubby Nylon... Techpicks Italy are cool, but some materials contain something like graphite or carbon and can make static noise on electric guitar (similar to Adamas Picks). But one is called TP4 and the material seems to be molded Torlon/PAI (I guess). This is very nice (but I make my own version out of them - less round with slightly different bevel).

I will once in a while post new findings here, but it's hard for me to try out all that stuff and play guitar at the moment, because of chemotherapy side effects and fighting for life

• I second that. We are in your corner supporting you.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Dude, I just got off radiotherapy. Best wishes

• thanks to the recommendations here, I still play Prime Tones, but usually not live since they have a tendency to disappear and our singer who plays acoustic in a few songs loooves to come over and ask for a pick.
    The black Jazz III XL is my default go to, but currently I'm giving the Jazz III Tortex 1.35mm a try and after a few shows I'm quite happy with them.

Dunlop Tortex Jazz III... Andy Timmons manages to get some great tones out of them :)

I think he plays 1.14.

Fun fact: I practiced for months not to always touch the strings with pick AND finger. Then I heard Andy Timmons explain, he likes the small Jazz III because his finger is simultaneously touching the strings for articulate tone. So I am back holding the pick that way 8)