Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Found an old profile of my little practice Marshall amp, so fuzzy

That sounds great, definitely suits the song. When i was young all i wanted was the out and out chucky hard rock tone however nowadays i find myself using profiles i would have never have used in the past, My go to profiles now for jamming are usually touch sensitive style crunch tones.

• Ended up fighting downloads and had to use a backup DAW I'm not so comfortable working in

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for checking it out Monkey_Man !

You mean the bass pad sound right at the start of the bass guitar? The pad is just a synth sound, I guess you could achieve it with verbs and delays and volume knob feathering. The bass guitar that kicks in a few bars later is just bass guitar, played the same as I always do i.e. improv a couple of complete takes for the whole track, hopefully have found something I like to pick the best bits for a third take and if I fluff a run just go and re-record from that point till I get it right. I sometimes split recording the chorus and verse bits on separate tracks so I can process them separately or just jump crisply between grooves that would otherwise be too challenging for my bass playing level to get right, but theres no real structure in this track. I try to avoid editing bass and keep it to just natural takes, same as the guitar even if it’s rougher around the edges it should normally make it sound more natural and raw. Maybe the combo of wah guitar kicking in at that point made it sound “fake” ish?

• You got these playing on 2x speed? :D

It’s not that fast, the only tricky bit is that it’s a hammer pull off 3 frets at the headstock end of the neck so it’s a little stretchy on my small hands.

• Thanks BayouTexan !

Well while I'm secretly delighted that you guys might perceive some virtuosity there, it's more likely an indicator that I'm just over-using that riff or style of riff and need to dig deeper to avoid setting in muscle memory.

• You got these playing on 2x speed? :D

It’s not that fast, the only tricky bit is that it’s a hammer pull off 3 frets at the headstock end of the neck so it’s a little stretchy on my small hands.

Still sounds like greased lightnin' to me bro'. :D

I assume he means the riff at 7 seconds. It's fast for me too. All else is good.

Yup, that's the one.

• External Content soundcloud.com

So a week and a half ago I injured my ribs and doing these noodles has been an intense experience since then, especially anything vocal really hurts and this noodle is about that.

It's also meant to be an experiment in trying to recreate the feel or effect of prematurely cut, gated and looped samples (famously Mirwais Ahmadzaï used this on Madonna's Don't Tell Me, but there are earlier examples) purely on the fretboard without DAW magix. Which is why it ended up with this whole 7/8 section.

• Tonights is meant to be in the style of 90's emocore again.

• Tonights is meant to be in the style of 90's emocore again.

I'll be honest, i'm not really sure what "emocore" is but i recognise the style. I loved what sounded like the chordal bends