Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I like the general feel of the tune but the vocals are bit diffuse and the bass could be a bit loder in the mix.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Thanks Monkey_Man , yeah sadly for my ego I had to fudge them as I didn’t really have time to learn to play both riffs at speed without oh so many bad sounding mistakes, especially the higher one, so in the end I re-recorded each of the three sections on their own and combined them to make it sound like a single longer riff. Still doesn’t sound that tight but it’s better than when I tried doing it in one take.

Mats_Nermark thanks, noted.

Started out wanting to do a 90's emocore thing, ended up more vintage than that.

• Thanks BayouTexan ! On the right right? That's the bass and guitar, the distortion is in the profiles. It's the left and drums that have the additional gain staging. But everything is hot signal into VST old tape sim on purpose because that's one of the sounds I like of the era.

Thanks waraba ! Well tbh a lot of the emocore bands were just doing garage bubblegum that belonged in the 60's, and in the end I felt the production may as well go there rather than totally muffle the vocals especially as I don't have the energy to scream out lyrics as is necessary late at night during crunch time and with neighbors and chronic self consciousness. So 60's complete with hard panned elements was it. And yea the "girly" backings were indeed me lol.

• As the title says

External Content soundcloud.com

• Thanks deadman42 ! Yeah I admit I slapped a stereo widener on this one, kinda had enough by that point so took a few shortcuts.

Thanks BayouTexan ! While he’s great you should expand your experience of old British and vintage music beyond Bowie :D, some fun points of reference where you’ll hear those riffs again are the Doug Wood, the Kinks, Charlatans, Troggs, Paul Weller, Ruttles, Ocean Color Scene, Shadows, Blur, the Stranglers and of course the Beatles. Bowie was of course mainly influenced Anthony Newly who’s a curio that I can’t tell if he’s a parody or not, a bit like Tom Waits, but apparently some people (including Bowie) liked him enough but otoh he was also influenced by Lou Reed who especially in the Velvet Underground had some similar riffs well before Bowie nicked em, and of course Mick Ronson was heavily influenced by Duane Eddy (to whom a lot of Rock and Roll owes it’s licks) who in turn loved Chet Atkins (to whom Country likewise). While you’re checking out early American stuff also don’t forget The 13th Floor Elevators, Standells, The Seeds and of course “? And the Mysterians”. I find there’s a lot of great stuff to mine from psychedelic garage.

• On the list, I've heard of the Kinks, the Troggs, and Chet Atkins, but my experience in older genre is reserved by popular radio play. No doubt there is vast knowledge to obtain.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I really admire how you always get the reverb just right for every tune. I readily discernible but never too much. I usually have to work very hard at getting the reverb right for my tunes.

Do you use one reverb or several?

Cheers,

Mats N

• Thanks Mats_Nermark , I use up to five reverbs. The Kemper’s own verb, UAD’s plate verb, Capitol Chambers and Hitsville A & B, each one has it’s own flavor and uses.

Here’s the real trick - all you have to do is listen to the 100% wet reverb solo and then adjust the EQ till there’s no more wolf notes and it sounds transparent, then you can mix it as wet or dry as you like and it’ll always sit fine no matter what.

Thanks deadman42 !