Continued Struggle with gear.

• Hi guys!!

So i had my guitar looked at and properly setup by a pro in a well established music store and it felt great when i picked it up the guy even said he wanted to keep it he loved it that much haha. So obviously i couldnt WAIT to get home and plug into my kemper in the hopes i will FINALLY love my toaster.

Well...nothing changed. I even purchased another (Yes another) more high end xlr cable again with the hope of a fix but nope.

Here is a sample i just recorded.

This was recorded using my other audio interface ( Universal Audio Volt 476) But this problem also happens when using my Focusrite Clarett 4pre. A simple routing. Left XLR out into Xlr input one. Main output on Kemper set to Master Mono. Main volume -20 rig volume at 0.0. No peaks on the interface all in the green. USB direct into PC going into my DAW (Cubase pro 12) Guitar going direct into Input on the front of the kemper with TRS cable. TS cable makes no difference.

My monitors are Adam Audio's directly out of my interace this also happens on my HS7 monitors.

My guitar i used is my Solar A1.7C but thats irrelevant as all of my guitars have this problem.

I must stress NO amount of EQ post or Pre fixes that whistling windy ear ripping sound and its present on all gain and high gain profiles.This does not happen in clean profiles.

Sample one is the profile untouched. The second is also the profile untouched but i scroll through the EQ band in Cubase. The third is the problematic noise that is killing everything that just cannot be removed.

Could it be my PC? is something colliding with my hardware...maybe a USB cable or USB port because i have seriously tried EVERYTHING at this point,

Anyway. I cant apologise enough for years of me constantly moaning. This is not in my head and it is not a case of just try not to hear it...i hear it constantly.

Thanks for your time guys.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Just my opinion, but you're using way too many things at once to troubleshoot a problem.

I'd start at the most basic. Make a Kemper backup if you're uncomfortable changing anything. Do an Init Globals from the System settings on the Kemper just to rule out any odd settings that you may not recall or be aware of. This just sets all globals back to their original settings and won't delete any rigs. Then try your rig but monitoring only through headphones, no interface or external cabs. If headphones aren't possible or you just don't trust them then maybe connect your studio monitors directly to the Kemper main outs, being careful to see the output level is not overdriving them.

If the problem is still there at that completely stripped back listen, then try a few generic Kemper provided rigs. Not something you've created or edited. Try a few including something at a similar gain level. If the problem is still evident then at least you have isolated it to the Kemper or guitar.

If all seems OK with this testing setup, then move on by adding another variable, like connecting to one of your interfaces (using the same speakers or headphones to monitor) and listening back to the same rigs you tested with. If the problem now comes back, then it must be related to your interface or how you're connecting to it. If OK with the interface, try adding Cubase back into the mix. and so on.

If you can isolate to something specific and easily replicated, then perhaps Kemper Support would be able to suggest a best approach.

It's pretty suspicious that you say it can't be EQ'd out. Even if it doesn't sound like what you want, you should at least be able to cut those high frequencies out.

• Have you contacted support? Almost sounds like a battery drain or power drain.

Yeah i did they were awesome to offer me a free maintanance job of my unit since this has been an issue since day one which is fantastic its just i couldnt afford the insane shipping costs there and back.

Would be cheaper to book a holiday...maybe i will one day and drop my kemper off ;)

• Thanks for your advice i have tried all those options.

To me it always sounded like the cab was turned off but at the same the cab was on but they were both happening at the same time and i was getting both signals if that makes sense. Its so weird to me but painfully obvious whenever i use any kind of gain or high gain profile.

Its not AS obvious when im playing down in the lower part of the guitar but as i climb up the frets those fizzy phazey whilstling frequencies come screaming in. I dont ever hear any of those frequencies when i watch or listen to anyone else play a profile or anything so i know its not my ears.

Maybe its just 99% of profiles and IR's ive tried are garbage but that is a rather huge "Maybe".

You DO hear it though right? its not right...that shouldnt be doing that huh?.

• You say you've tried them, but the problem apparently is still there, and you don't seem to know where it's coming from. If you can't get any definitive answer from online support, then it seems like sending the unit in for proper evaluation and service may be your only option. Of course, if it's not something wrong with the Kemper then you'd be out that expense and still have no answer.

Good luck.

• You say you've tried them, but the problem apparently is still there, and you don't seem to know where it's coming from. If you can't get any definitive answer from online support, then it seems like sending the unit in for proper evaluation and service may be your only option. Of course, if it's not something wrong with the Kemper then you'd be out that expense and still have no answer.

Good luck.

I will try again step by step the options you have offered just incase i may have missed something. Thank you again buddy.

• "Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Ok...so here is what i did. Apologies if im over explaining i dont want to miss anything out.

I reset my kemper.

Unplugged everything all connections from kemper to audio interface and and PC then turned off PC.

I plugged in JUST my headphones into the kemper and turned it on with the stock profile (TAF - Diesel VH 4 CH 3) . So far so good no noise or any kind of interference at all.

I turned the kemper back off then plugged in my guitar using TS cable into front of kemper and turned it back on again. No noise or interference.

Turned up the volume knob on my guitar on a stock high gain profile (TAF - Diesel VH 4 CH 3) no intereference or strange noises coming through. Still listening through my headphones.

Turned off Kemper and attatched kemper directly to my audio interface using Left XLR cable direct into input one of my audio interface and turned the kemper back on still using the same profile.

Still no naughty frequencies or noise.

Turned on PC everything still good.

Fired up Cubase. I heard a little noise. My PC came through my pickups ever so slightly when it was loading up Cubase. Mind i DO sit at my desk which is close to my PC i usualy just turn away and find that sweet spot where it aint such a problem anymore.

I start up a project and record the profile (double track it mono hard pan left right) and it sounds not too bad.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe its just commercial profile bundles? is it just maybe they aint working for me and im blaming my kemper.

Maybe i should just stop buying them and go back to basics with what comes stock on the kemper and educate myself how to use the unit better.

im NOT giving up.

• From the manual...

MAIN OUTPUT

Use the MAIN OUTPUT to connect to a mixing desk in a recording studio, or to the front-of-house mixer in a live situation. You have a choice of XLR (balanced) or quarter-inch TS-jacks (unbalanced).

 Main Out -12 dB

Whenever the device (e.g. mixing desk or audio interface) connected to the MAIN OUTPUT XLR or TS jacks indicates too much level coming from the PROFILER, or there is the need to set the Main Output Volume to less than -12 dB, then activate the Main Output Pad to reduce the signal level of the Main Output by 12 dB. This increases the range of the Main Output Volume control and preserves the signal-to-noise ratio of the Main Output.

• is what the current chain is and what i tend to use most. Sometimes i will use a TRS jack from left main out into my interface. Is it better to use a TS cable? 🤔

• It can't hurt to try a 1/4" cable. It may be that the XLR into your interface is being treated like Mic level instead of line level.

It does seem like the noise issue could be something about those rigs you purchased. But that wouldn't mean that all purchased rigs are a problem. Maybe best to experiment a bit more. Why not try to find a few similar on Rig Exchange? Or maybe just try replacing the cab on the rigs giving you a problem. Changing the cab can make a huge difference. You can use the cab from any other Rig that you might like, or you can always load IR's if you have any that you know you like. You can just drag them into the Presets\Local Library section of Rig Manager to have a library of cabs that you like.

• is what the current chain is and what i tend to use most. Sometimes i will use a TRS jack from left main out into my interface. Is it better to use a TS cable? 🤔

It does sound/look like either an impedance or some other mismatch with your interface.

Can't hurt to try a 1/4" as cmbrowns suggests. Perhaps the interface has the gain too high?

• As before, the only sensible option is to have Kemper examine the hardware and fix it. You only need to find another Kemper on the planet to determine if what you're hearing is a flaw or an external influence like the guitar. Until you do that you're going to chase your tail like before I think. 🙂

• Also, for recording, why not do a test comparison using the Kemper as the USB audio device?

Meaning: monitor your playing and the DAW playback using the Kemper's headphone jack, selecting the profiler as your usb audio device in the DAW. That way you can test to possibly eliminate the audio interface and any connections as the issue. All that is used is your guitar cable, usb cable, and headphones. If there's no more annoying noise recording this way, then that might indicate the issue is with your interface or connections or possibly a computer setting.

Pretty easy to setup in Reaper DAW on PC, using 'DirectSound' or 'WaveOut', as the audio system, hopefully there is a similar method in your DAW program.

• Official Post

I tried to figure out, if the XLR inputs of that UA Volt 476 interface activate a microphone preamp, The interface offers combo sockets and it makes a difference, if you use the XLR or TRS. This is what Universal Audio writes on its web site:

A microphone is typically connected with an XLR connector, and an instrument or line level signal is connected with a ¼” (6.35 mm) TS or TRS plug.

Preamp gain and impedance automatically adjusts for line or mic signals, based on whether the plug is XLR or ¼”, along with the state of the INST button.

Press the INST button to toggle the impedance and gain of the line input to accommodate a Hi-Z instrument, such as an electric guitar or bass.

So you might be running the PROFILER's line level signal into a microphone preamp, which creates noise and might be way to sensitive.

• Official Post

I just learned, that my support colleagues provided this hint already multiple times in your support tickets through recent years.

You have also been advised not to use your other preamp with its "R" function, which boosts 4kHz by 12 dB. This isn't meaningful in this context.

My colleagues verified via reamping of a dry track provided by you, that processed signals generated by your hardware are identical to ours. So, your PROFILER hardware isn't faulty.

Anyhow, you have been offered a free-off-charge hardware check in our service center although the unit is out of warranty. You assumed shipping cost from UK to Germany ten times higher than what we experience. This offer is still valid.

• Dude, sorry to hear you are still struggling.

I think from this you have ruled out the KPA and guitar. So its definitely in between the KPA and recording, so your interface, PC etc.

I thought your last recording sounded pretty good....

• I was incredibly grateful for the free service offer and i took my unit to my local royal mail with the paper work with my unit all packaged up correctly with the full intention of sending it but without insurance (because they told me they dont insure musical equipment) would have cost me (one way) £340 and the same back and did i mention thats without insurance so there was no way i was gonna gamble on that. It was just an insane amount of money that in no way could i afford and there was no "assumption" on shipping cost this is what it was and what i was told by royal mail directly to my face.

Why do i feel like im being attacked here?

Im struggling with my hardware. Im not the most brain savvie with all these gear terminologies im an absolute beginner learning the best i can all i have is this forum for help its not like i have an army of friends in my area with kempers who i can face to face with and discuss stuff and it just sounds like you are calling me an annoying arsehole.

I have no idea what the hell Preamp R function is or 4khz with 12db...i play guitar i plug in and strum im not a mathematician with a science degree. What is incredibly obvious to some is complete voodoo to others.

Maybe be more patient with me it just takes a little longer for stuff to sink in my head not to mention i have a full time job so im not infront of my setup 24 hours a day with the luxury of playing around and figuring stuff out and reading through hours of online forums.

Like i said maybe its all down to real shitty kemper bundles i keep buying. Lesson learned.

Also im now a bit more reluctant to post here anymore in fear of getting a finger pointed in my face.

Adios.

• Dude, sorry to hear you are still struggling.

I think from this you have ruled out the KPA and guitar. So its definitely in between the KPA and recording, so your interface, PC etc.

I thought your last recording sounded pretty good....

Yeah buddy. At this point i think im chalking it down to just bad commercial kemper bundles i keep falling for that just arent working for me. The last recording was a stock kemper profile and yeah i was digging it too :) maybe theres hope for me yet lol