wireless

• I've just seen so many corksniffing people worry about the tiniest detail about their guitar, the finish thickness, cable type, IEC cable type, tube brand, potentiometer brand etc. etc., then go on stage looking horrible staring at their feet all night. They would have been way better off paying less attention to all of that and more to their stage presence which is going to be way more noticeable to the people paying them.

Sometimes these folks (and I've been guilty of this) chase the right 'thing' that will make them a better player. Or, they're subconsciously hiding from the fact that they aren't as 'good' as they'd like to be.

I've *never* done that..../eyeroll.

Some of these people will cite famous players notorious for being particular about their gear. What they neglect to recognize is those people made *decisions* and moved on. They found what *they* liked, and never really deviated. Eric Johnson, Yngwie, etc.

Even EVH - who was a *notorious* tinkerer - kept much the same setup his entire career. Yes - he changed amps/guitars/pedals etc. - but they were an evolution of the same idea. Basically, a SuperStrat with a floyd set to down only, a d-tuna into a roaring Marshall-eque amp with some delay, phaser and what-not when needed.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I agree and actually the KPA has helped with that. I chased True Bypass for so long and I no longer worry about a pedal board at all now.

However, I'd buy anything that made me sound better than I actually am :)

• I think you always look better playing "stock" gear and being great than having tons of "custom" stuff and being mediocre.

I used to be a bit of a cork sniffer until I saw a show with one band using "junk" that was looking good, really connecting with the audience and bringing the house down. Playing a $100.00 guitar packing the dance floor slaying the other band that looked like they stepped off a bar stool with their cammo hunter hats and pot bellies, mouths open staring at their feet holding ten top PRS guitars and $4,000.00 amps heads. The bass player sat on a stool.

• EVH is perhaps the best example of this.

A complete mutt for a guitar and a beat-to-snot Marshall.....but man could he (and the band) play, and David Lee Roth was an *epic* front man (and not a great singer).

• I have seen good players playing all levels of gear. Why do people assume that if someone has expensive gear that they can't play as well as they do? I have made a decent amount of money playing my guitar. I use a variety of guitars and other gear, some expensive and some not. Should we all be ridiculed for having an expensive Kemper on the stage?

To me these complaints sound more like jealousy. I have seen people crap all over PRS guitars, until they can afford to get one. Then they brag about them to everyone. I have never subscribed to any of this. We all get to spend our money on whatever we want to. It has nothing to do with your level of skill.

• I personal don't like this system because it runs on the 2,4 GHz Wlan frequency.
    I'm using a 5,8 GHz frequency
    I have the Nux C-5RC Wireless System check it out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I use the Nux C-5RC as well. No problems here. Seems pretty stable on stage.

Edited once, last by slowery ().

• I have seen good players playing all levels of gear. Why do people assume that if someone has expensive gear that they can't play as well as they do? I have made a decent amount of money playing my guitar. I use a variety of guitars and other gear, some expensive and some not. Should we all be ridiculed for having an expensive Kemper on the stage?

To me these complaints sound more like jealousy. I have seen people crap all over PRS guitars, until they can afford to get one. Then they brag about them to everyone. I have never subscribed to any of this. We all get to spend our money on whatever we want to. It has nothing to do with your level of skill.

I don't think anyone is saying because you have good gear you can't play. I think the point is that gear is not a substitute for good playing - which i know you also did not say this.

The way I look at this - I love gear and will spend what I want to spend - as long as my wife allows it. I'm a mediocre player at best, I know gear does not make me play better but it does sometimes inspire and I also know I have the best shot and sounding as good as I can - gear is not the limitation.

Lets be honest an Epiphone sounds nearly as good as a Gibson, a Squier nearly as good as a fender....but you don't feel as good unless your vibe is to enjoy playing junk and squeezing as much out of it as possible - which is also valid. I had an Epiphone Les Paul and Gretsch Electromatic for my Cult tribute band and I've now upgraded to a 70's Gibson Les Paul Mick Ronson copy and full blown White Falcon. I love them and feel privilidged to own and play them but I don't sound any better.

No one should feel guilty playing good or expensive gear and I don't think that is the intention of any of the comments so far.

• Jack Pearson (The Allman Brothers Band, Gregg Allman, Vince Gill, Jimmy Buffett, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Bonamassa, Charlie Daniels, Keb Mo', Delbert McClinton, Earl Scruggs......and the list goes on and on and on.....)

Here's a video of him playing a $90 Squire Bullet:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So folks don't think this might not be a 'real' Squire....here's the story as Jack told it. From Guitar Player Magazine February 2015:

"I play a $90 Fender Squire Bullet Stratocaster. A friend of mine wanted a guitar for his daughter, so I went to the store and played all the Strats. The Squire Bullet was the most acoustically resonant. I never plugged it in. If it vibrates and holds the note acoustically, that is it. The salesman thought I was nuts. The next day my friend said, 'She wants a Tele.' I said 'Good, I'm keeping this.' I replaced the volume pot, had the frets dressed, filed the nut and took it out on a gig. The second gig was the Gregg Allman Tribute at the Fox Theater. It's a great guitar. I have gone back several times looking for another one, but it was just that one out of the batch. It even has the 'undesirable' ceramic magnet pickups. The polepieces are weird heights but they sound great. I wire the second tone control to the bridge pickup, but most of the time it is full up."

• Interesting disgression ! ;)

I've just seen so many corksniffing people worry about the tiniest detail about their guitar, the finish thickness, cable type, IEC cable type, tube brand, potentiometer brand etc. etc., then go on stage looking horrible staring at their feet all night. They would have been way better off paying less attention to all of that and more to their stage presence which is going to be way more noticeable to the people paying them.

I have seen good players playing all levels of gear. Why do people assume that if someone has expensive gear that they can't play as well as they do? I have made a decent amount of money playing my guitar. I use a variety of guitars and other gear, some expensive and some not. Should we all be ridiculed for having an expensive Kemper on the stage?

IMO, and following what i've bought/done during all these years with my rigs, my conclusion is : the most important is the chain between Pickups (really important) to speaker, rest is wind.

I've already bought a sommer cable and the incidence on the sound was real.

I broke it and didn't buy another one. I don't record and play in a band at rehearsal and gigs so it's less important.... But if i would be led to record, i would probably improve this part...

It's not a question of opposing good players with cheap device versus bad players with high end ones....

It's just a question of telling honestly what have an incidence on the sound and how.... I join Dynochrome about guitar's detail and some guitarist snobery or cutting hair for nothing....

I've fallen in this trap to think that changing device/guitar should make me a better guitarist....

It's better to buy a good rig from the beginning cause you'll keep it and won't waste money (and time) to change and switch your devices all over the years but it's less and less probant nowdays (poeple love owning and/or changing).

If i had an advice to tell to a beginner it would be ; go and try the guitar in a shop, choose the one on which you feel most confortable, if you dislike the sound ; change pickups.... Done... Enjoy ;) :)

I think some justify the 1000/2000€ more (or even more ;) ) with sound improvement arguments but in my experience it's not true.... The wood is rarer, the polish/finish is better, you like beautifull object and pay for it ; there's no problem about that...You prefer paying more for american workers instead of asian ones, (the cost is not the same of course).... It's a choice.

I can make an analogy with photography. I've bought a good tripod years ago. This is one rare thing i've kept and cameras have turned over...

• If i had an advice to tell to a beginner it would be ; go and try the guitar in a shop, choose the one on which you feel most confortable, if you dislike the sound ; change pickups.... Done... Enjoy ;) :)

Funny how we all have different views. In my experience, replacement pickups are a waste of time and money unless your pickup is actually broken or has a limitation. Pickups come in different configs. Lack of potting could raise a feedback problem. That's a limitation, but I wouldn't buy a guitar with that issue. There are wiring limitations with 2 wire pickups so that might be a reason to change pickups. Otherwise, I don't recommend changing pickups. Buy what sounds good in the first place...this is the conclusion that I reached through my experience. Bad sounding guitars sound bad even with good pickups. YMMV.

• I agree with you that sometimes the difference will be minimal.

On the other side, i've bought a Mickeal Kelly (my avatar) cause i loved the style and color :love: , i disliked the sound on vids and when i bought it, it was the same ; i replaced them. It was night and day and the sound is just glorious, i love it.

But finally, i don't play it cause Lespaul style is just not done for me....I don't feel confortable at all on it (or not as i do on a Strat/superstrat)....And i'm really not sure switching to a NOS Gibson will improve something about this state of fact.

• I went to a jam once where this guy that didn't really play much had this old squire (70's?) he wanted to sell. I grabbed it and played it, it was more solid than most American Strats are now and sounded awesome. I wanted it but after I played it and liked it so much, he decided not to sell it. I screwed up, I should have played it like crap and said "meh" but I'll take it off your hands. I always think about that Squire that got away, it was a killer piece!

• I went to a jam once where this guy that didn't really play much had this old squire (70's?) he wanted to sell. I grabbed it and played it, it was more solid than most American Strats are now and sounded awesome. I wanted it but after I played it and liked it so much, he decided not to sell it. I screwed up, I should have played it like crap and said "meh" but I'll take it off your hands. I always think about that Squire that got away, it was a killer piece!

Been there. I had the chance to buy a Guild 12-string pretty much *exactly* like the one SRV played on MTV Unplugged. $900.

I took too long to think about it and my buddy sold it.

• replacement pickups are a waste of time and money unless your pickup is actually broken or has a limitation.

For most of my time playing (30+ years), I was the same way. I have a '52 reissue Tele that I always thought was kind of 'meh' for sound. I kept resisting the idea of new pickups. Then I played a Squier Tele with a set of Fishmans in it and ordered a set the next day.

The guitar went from "Am I going to keep this?" to "You can have it over my rotting corpse." It always played well - but the new pups were a revelation.

Back then the Squires were built as good as the American versions. They were coming off of the same lines as the Japanese built Fender guitars. They were very good guitars.

• So too put this in action steps,

Watch the video that was posted.

Order one or two of those inexpensive wireless from Amazon and order a nice cable to compare against. I would recommend the ammoon 5.8 ghz as there will be some slight to big tone suck amount inexpensive units. The ammoon was where I found it adequate fidelity and it was only 40 bucks.

Try them out on your own. Make sure to record your results and A/B them blind to make sure you’re not fooling yourself

Send back the inexpensive wireless if it does meet meet your Fidelity or other standards.

You’re out nothing but a bit of time and you’ll have a final answer for yourself. Because this is really subjective it’s going to be the best way to do it in they won’t cost you any money. That’s a nice thing about Amazon. You can try this out for yourself and some people will find there is a significant fidelity difference to them and others like myself find there’s not enough to justify a lot more money for a higher grade wireless. I don’t see enough difference to go real expensive with the wireless on our gigs. YMMV of course.