Should I get another Kemper

• Try kemper again or get a valve amp 15

1. Kemper (15) 100%
    2. Valve Amp (0) 0%

Hi Everyone. I realise this is definitely not the least biased location to ask this, but about three years ago I had a Kemper, it seemed to have an issue with hiss where there would be this weird build up over ten minutes or so where it would go from inaudible to louder than the guitar before dissipating and not being heard again until the next time I turned the unit on. Long story short, sent it in for repairs a few times, nothing fixed it, I moved it along and got a valve amp again.

I've been happy with my current amp and have no plans of selling it, but I've been getting the itch for a second amp, something like a Two-Rock most likely, and given I still have all the profiles I bought saved on my laptop (including some Two-Rock) the thought came up about getting another Kemper. I realise the unit I had was likely defective, but what do you guys think, is there a likelihood it could be some weird static in the electricity in my flat that was causing the issue, and so it would just happen again with another unit? I don't get any static hiss with my valve amp, nor do I with my HX stomp for extra info.

So what do we think? Risk it and get another unit to use alongside my current amp? or get a second valve amp?

- Liam

• I do record and gig in 10s of different locations, never had any static issue. Kemper Stage here

Edit: if those are the sounds you're after, the Grammatico and Dumble packs from MBritt are unbeatable

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• The problem is you never located the fault and so that risk will exist.

I've had my Kemper for over 8 years now, never experienced that type of issue, so definitely not typical.

A Two Rock and Kemper are totally different beasts so it does depend on what that itch is, but of course I did vote Kemper :). What is probably most telling from my perspective is since I've had my Kemper I've NEVER had that itch....used to have it all the time, buying amps, cables, pedals....now its only guitars....so....

• The problem is you never located the fault and so that risk will exist.

I've had my Kemper for over 8 years now, never experienced that type of issue, so definitely not typical.

A Two Rock and Kemper are totally different beasts so it does depend on what that itch is, but of course I did vote Kemper :). What is probably most telling from my perspective is since I've had my Kemper I've NEVER had that itch....used to have it all the time, buying amps, cables, pedals....now its only guitars....so....

Well the itch really is for that Two-Rock / dumble style clean, but of course it comes with a high price tag and also an element of risk that I don't actually like the amp after taking the plunge (I can't try before I buy) so the Kemper removes that really given a profile is much cheaper than a Two-Rock..

When I did have the Kemper and used it after the hiss had dissipated it was great, used it with the Kone and loved it, but I just couldn't get past the issue. Seeing so many that have owned one for years (a decade for some!) with no issues makes me think maybe give it another go. The shop I'm looking at has a good returns policy so I'm thinking it's relatively low risk.

- Liam

• Well the itch really is for that Two-Rock / dumble style clean, but of course it comes with a high price tag and also an element of risk that I don't actually like the amp after taking the plunge (I can't try before I buy) so the Kemper removes that really given a profile is much cheaper than a Two-Rock..

When I did have the Kemper and used it after the hiss had dissipated it was great, used it with the Kone and loved it, but I just couldn't get past the issue. Seeing so many that have owned one for years (a decade for some!) with no issues makes me think maybe give it another go. The shop I'm looking at has a good returns policy so I'm thinking it's relatively low risk.

Then I would go for it.

My concern was that it was on an issue with the Kemper but somewhere in else e.g. through a DAW. That type of hiss is definitely not normal.

The Kemper for me has bene the most fault free, reliable guitar tool I have ever had. I only have experienced 2 issues in 8-9 years of ownership:

1) I did have an issue with it crashing, but that was an identified software issue with a beta release. That was resolved very quickly

2) The ethernet connection became loose - I had that swapped out and now have it per connected so it won't ever happen again.

I played a show 2 weeks ago and one of the guitarists had an ENGL ( I used to run ENGL's so I'm a huge fan)...and during sound check, a valve went...he became very interested in my rig after that :)

• Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to give it a go. I've had some reliability issues with my valve amp so it's not like they're indestructible either! I'll be sure to post back here once it turns up.

• Thanks, yeah I think I'm going to give it a go. I've had some reliability issues with my valve amp so it's not like they're indestructible either! I'll be sure to post back here once it turns up.

Do you know anyone that has one? Always worth trying someone else's as well :)

Good luck dude.

• Do you know anyone that has one? Always worth trying someone else's as well :)

Good luck dude.

I don't sadly! Thanks, I'm trying the powered head version this time instead of the unpowered with external poweramp so let's see! Excited to try it again with these liquid profiles being released

• These are your options; buy another amp, buy a Kemper, buy a Fractal, or move to a new "flat" and buy a Kemper or a Fractal. Lastly, buy a Kemper and a Fractal and only move if you have to.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks everyone, I've ordered the power head for now, I'm gonna use it in to the speaker in my valve amp for the time being but I might pick up a kone or it's own cab if everything is ok with this one.

• Thanks everyone, I've ordered the power head for now, I'm gonna use it in to the speaker in my valve amp for the time being but I might pick up a kone or it's own cab if everything is ok with this one.

Fab. I have the powered rack and love it. I use a Kabinet but I have run it with a 4 x12 and FRFR previously.

Just be aware that the speakers make a huge difference to the sound. Way more than I ever realized..

• Fab. I have the powered rack and love it. I use a Kabinet but I have run it with a 4 x12 and FRFR previously.

Just be aware that the speakers make a huge difference to the sound. Way more than I ever realized..

yeah I'm not fully set on kone or traditional cab, but given I'm looking for that dumble / two rock type I figured a cab with a g12-65 in would be fine for me, there's blue in the cab of my valve amp as well so I'd have two options at least.

- Liam

• yeah I'm not fully set on kone or traditional cab, but given I'm looking for that dumble / two rock type I figured a cab with a g12-65 in would be fine for me, there's blue in the cab of my valve amp as well so I'd have two options at least.

I have a 2 x g12-65 cab in the Dumble format. Lousy cab for the Kemper IMO. Cloudy in general with congested low mids not well suited for the Kemper IMO. I'm not a Kone fan either. I GOOD PA monitor with a powered head is what works for me. I have used many monitors and have described some of them in other threads. FRFR is marketing hype for a PA monitor IMO. I found that I am only happy with a transparent PA monitor. My go to is the JBL SRX. Cheap monitors sound boxy with bad mid range artifacts that heavily color the result. YMMV. Good luck

• No noise here for 8 years, I use DXR 10 occasionally which is great but mostly in ears. You’ll be grand

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Well, the Kemper arrived today, only had a short time to power it up and have a go but all seems well so far. Updated it and played through my valve amps cab with a celestion blue in it with some two rock profiles.. sounded amazing, really great. Thanks for the help everyone, just got to order a cab now, I think I'm just gonna go down the normal guitar cab route, tried FRFR in the past and wasn't a fan, not sure I want to bother with the Kone either but we'll see.

• Well, the Kemper arrived today, only had a short time to power it up and have a go but all seems well so far. Updated it and played through my valve amps cab with a celestion blue in it with some two rock profiles.. sounded amazing, really great. Thanks for the help everyone, just got to order a cab now, I think I'm just gonna go down the normal guitar cab route, tried FRFR in the past and wasn't a fan, not sure I want to bother with the Kone either but we'll see.

Congrats!

Output to a preferred cab/speaker is subjective of course. My journey was:

PRS Custom 50 combo 1x12 into the return of the loop. Good but not inspiring

Fender 80w PA. Better but didn't like dealing with the head and 2 10" speakers

Yamaha DXR10. Excellent. Not many complaints and the coverage was fantastic

XiTone MBritt cab. Also excellent. A bit more guitar oriented and started to flap my pant legs on stage

Avatar 2x12 with V30s using Camplifier or SD 700 class D amps. Also good but not inspiring

Kemper Kabinet with Camplifier or SD 700 class D amps. OK... done... that's it for me. Either stereo or mono, and with the profiled speaker or one of the numerous imprints it has the pant flap on stage, and all the tone and feel I want/love.

Enjoy the journey, and I hope you find your grail tones! :)

Enjoy

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

Try the new Fender Tone Master FR12, I had all possible FRFR speakers and this one is really different. To me it makes the Kemper sound like an amp in the room, even with the different emulated cab (using a 4x12 Cab emulation let my jaw drop wide open in disbelief...)

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better