• I'm considering expanding to a DAW environment, so I'm looking at monitor speakers. Anyone have any recommendations that are not crazy expensive? I don't know much about it, but reading about FOH sounding better than a Kabinet. I know my Kabinet has the ability to change IR to run different speaker tones. Is this something that is lost on monitors that will be connected to the mains on the Kemper?

• It depends what you call "IRs", cause the Kabinet's advantage are "imprints" that emulate a speaker without mic simulations....

If you don't use it this way, it'll be the "same" with monitors... FRFR mode ;)

For the speakers, i have a pair of Focal Alpha 50, i like them.

Yamaha or Adam Audio are also appreciated... KrK seems to be not as flat as the others....

If you can, go to a homestudio shop to try and listen to them to hear the difference....

• I have KRK Rokit 6 speakers on my desktop in my home studio. I put them on expensive Isoacoustics stands resulting in less bass boominess. I damped the wall behind the speakers with foam resulting in way less reflections from the back wall.

• Great input, thanks all.

Since the Kemper does not include choices for mic simulations, Is it safe to assume you would get mic simulations choosing selected reverbs in the Kemper? You can get profiles that are direct or studio. I didn't know you could choose different speaker imprints for your monitors, and not just the Kone.

• I use Yamaha HS5. I'm really happy with these speakers.

This is what I use as well but I live in an apartment so they are fine. If I lived in a house I would want something bigger with more power and more lows. I also have Yorkville ys2mp that I use for comparison. They have more bottom end, they don't make them any longer also I find the build to be very crappy so I wouldn't advise them but they do sound great better than the Yamaha's to my ears.

Good luck finding what you like. There are a lot of options. Also take a look at speakers that use ribbon tweeters some rockers like Nuno Bettencourt prefer these. He uses a Kemper with I believe Adam studio monitors.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Since the Kemper does not include choices for mic simulations, Is it safe to assume you would get mic simulations choosing selected reverbs in the Kemper? You can get profiles that are direct or studio. I didn't know you could choose different speaker imprints for your monitors, and not just the Kone.

With monitors, you just have to activate Cab section, mic's simulation is integrated...

The question was how you use the Kabinet ; as a FRFR or with Imprints ?

• Yeah, I use the Kab with imprints usually, but sometimes just FRFR from the original profile. Those Yamaha speakers look decent, but a bit low in price? I don't know much about it, but only one XLR input? Do you find that the speakers sound better as FOH input or the Kabinet as a monitor?

• This is what I use as well but I live in an apartment so they are fine. If I lived in a house I would want something bigger with more power and more lows. I also have Yorkville ys2mp that I use for comparison. They have more bottom end, they don't make them any longer also I find the build to be very crappy so I wouldn't advise them but they do sound great better than the Yamaha's to my ears.

Good luck finding what you like. There are a lot of options. Also take a look at speakers that use ribbon tweeters some rockers like Nuno Bettencourt prefer these. He uses a Kemper with I believe Adam studio monitors.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yes, those look like Adam A7x.

I have a pair of those and really like them. My mate has Yamaha HS8 which also sound great.

Moregainac20 There is certainly plenty of choice and no such thing as a totally flat speaker. Everything has some degree of its own flavour so it’s always best to try a few side by sode with music that you know well and decide what works best for you personally.

• Just a note: I have Behringer 2031Ps and was never happy with the Kemper on them. To the point of almost selling the Kemper. I swapped the tweeters out with something similar and they, of course, are not FLAT anymore. And now the Kemper sounds amazing.

So it is good you are asking people with Kempers their thoughts.

Every tweeter has its own sound and some super flat ones are meh for guitar playing. On the original tweeters I could never get the high end right. I would EQ it up and it just got very harsh and ice picky. Never crisp and snappy.