Guitar tone

• It's really a shame to have a LP without a coil split option. There's a whole world of tones out of reach that can be had with a tiny little mod.

Maybe so, but I'm no pro who's gonna mess around with my expensive Custom an Standard Les Pauls! (yes: Plural!) And you're talking about a tiny mod. For me, every change is a big modification to these fine instruments...

• It's really a shame to have a LP without a coil split option. There's a whole world of tones out of reach that can be had with a tiny little mod.

I have the 3 push-pull for coil split and phasing. I really hardly ever use them except for the split on the neck for an acoustic tone. Spitting a HB pretty much sounds like the same HB but with less output.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• that's highly subjective - I never heard a split humbucker I liked and removed all these 'features' from my guitars.
    If I want a singlecoil, I use a real singlecoil. ;)

We'll have to disagree. When my Anderson splits, it also changes the pot value, so it doesn't sound like a Strat with a LP tone pot. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between my Strat and my H-H-H Anderson in a blind test. 😉

The OP said he only wants to use the one guitar BTW.

I like a good coil split too, but not always a tiny mod. Many humbuckers only have two wires...

• Maybe so, but I'm no pro who's gonna mess around with my expensive Custom an Standard Les Pauls! (yes: Plural!) And you're talking about a tiny mod. For me, every change is a big modification to these fine instruments...

Having split coils is not a pro mod, not very invasive at and all its all reversible. The only cost is a pickup and push pull pot.

If you do not wish to play a strat to get strat sounds, then this is the only thing that will help you get closer as you will struggle to make a Les Paul sound like a strat - hence why both exist. Just trying to adjust the profile and eq will be very difficult, with limited success..

However, I also agree that split coils will not transform your guitar into a Strat, it will just get you closer.

• If you only play LP guitars and don't want to split or add an EQ before the fuzz then that's your tonal limit. Great sounds, but unlikely to get you authentic Strat sounds.

• If you only play LP guitars and don't want to split or add an EQ before the fuzz then that's your tonal limit. Great sounds, but unlikely to get you authentic Strat sounds.

Additionally, hums in a strat will never sound like a paul. Always close but not really there. Reminder to all kemper users though - you're saving alot of money by not needing to buy a roomful of amps anymore, so you can spend that money on more guitars. At least until the variax is as close to the real thing as kemper has gotten us.