HOW TO GET MORE SUSTAIN ON A CLEAN RIG

• I do not seem to be able to get good sustain on clean amps through my FRFR sound system, is there any way of getting more without loosing clean tone. I am not very good with pedals, stomps etc as just don't have the experience, so any ideas would be much appreciated, also any rigs you may know of that are clean with good sustain, you might have guessed I am a sustain addict but never really achieved it with a clean sound.

• Robby, try my JTM30Clean rig. It's on the exchange.

thanks zappledan have downloaded your rigs and will try tonight plus will try the Sag and Compression parameters in the Amplifier section thanks , have used compression but doesn't seem to get that much sustain on my strat, but will do some more work on compression and sag ,,, thanks guys

• How loud is the speaker that you're using as a monitor? You need the same loud volumes to create natural harmonic sustain that you'd expect from a real amp.

• have used compression but doesn't seem to get that much sustain on my strat

Don't shy away from extreme settings of the stomp compressor. In connection with a ducking of the comp this can help to keep the attack more natural.

But also Paul's hint is very essential: the more sustain your guitar offers the less you have to push with comps and stuff.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• natural sustain should come from the guitar it self

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• natural sustain should come from the guitar it self

+1. Even using headphones I've never had an issue with lack of sustain with the KPA, even with pristine clean stuff. Of course, all our expectations are different regarding sustain. How long a note are you trying to hold?

• My strat does have good sustain thru my marshal & hughes & kettner amps
    I turned up the distortion sense and this dramatically increased my sustain
    I am working on the compression but do not know how ducking effects compression - any idears fellas
    Liked your clean amp zap
    what is a bladerunner is this a different pickup my strat has vintage alnicos

thanks guys this forum is so good great to be part of this evolving family

• Try using the amp compression and don't be shy with turning it up. I have great results on clean rigs around the 6 to 6.5 mark and it responds so well to your touch. Watch out for unwanted extra noise and keep an eye to your output settings. Another good idea for some clean rigs is to try turning down the volume but turn up the cab volume - it may give you a different result and maybe add some more life to the profile...

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• The Distortion Sens sounds pretty much the same as the Gain control. You should leave it where it was! And then maybe use the Gain to do a little bit of "clean dirt" and, yes, that bit of compression that comes at the edge of overdrive.

Try using the amp compression and don't be shy with turning it up.

The amp comp is good for a natural compression on clean sounds. The stomp comp is a great tool for "effect" style of compressions. I.e. really long Pop Music sounds.

I am working on the compression but do not know how ducking effects compression

The ducking parameter comes on page 2 of the stomp comp. If you set it to positive values (I have it on +3) the first and loudest part of the sound (attack) will be like as if the compressor is not there at all. And then only later, when the string rings out compression gently comes in.

You can also set the mix parameter on that page a bit down (I have it on 50%). This blends in the natural (uncompressed) sound and also helps to keep the attack a bit more natural.

With these two parameters it is possible to set the intensity of the compressor to much higher values than you normally would. Of course the price you have to pay for this mega-sustain is a lot of noise at the end of the tones.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Do you have the noise gate enabled at all? If so disable it.

This may sound strange but it is true! Too high settings of the input noise gate may result in a strange, dull sound with less sustain.

www.audiosemantics.de