dialing out fizziness

• just wondering how anybody goes about setting up a new rig like a basic starting point. it seems to me that whenever i load up a more hi gain rig that the gain knob is always maxed out. theres always that fizzi-ice picking sound i hear. just wondering if its my ears or this can be dialed out. ive heard some nice tones from this forum and i would like to hear some insight on how anyone goes about this. i know there is a lot to consider , pups, guitar ect.... just looking for guidelines for the kemper.

• just wondering how anybody goes about setting up a new rig like a basic starting point. it seems to me that whenever i load up a more hi gain rig that the gain knob is always maxed out.

really? that's a LOT of gain...

the easiest way to tame excessive high-end is lowering the Definition parameter in the AMPLIFIER section.
    and/or use the Clarity parameter on the second page of the same section.

hth

• Also check if the clarity is turned up to begin with, I can sometimes get away with turning the gain down a bit and then bring the clarity back towards zero. This brings the gain noise down but by dropping the clarity you bring what gain thats left more to the forefront. Less noise, sane nasty tone.

• thanks guys. i will try these suggestions. i play in two different bands . one is a steely dan type of funky blues jazz rock kind of stuff. the other is a classic rock band. and we are doing a few 80s hair band type of tunes and the guys are complaining that i need more bite in my tone. the other guitarist has a line 6 hd something... and i dont like his tone but he cuts through the mix. but i hear fizz and ice pick tone. i usually cut mine at 2500hz and that helps but i loose that bitey edge . and maybe its my ears not used to these tones.

• There's the para EQ approach that works with any amp/profile/modeler

Set a tight Q (high value
    increase gain =12
    sweep through the high end spectrum until you find the most annoying frequency; now take that +12 and drop it to -6 to -12 or beyond
    You may find a 2nd annoying frequency- repeat above

I used to set my 11Rack as an eq in my Peavy Ultra+ and this approach worked really well to take out specific annoying fizz frequencies

If the profile needs too much EQ, it may be a bad fit, but tweaks can make it gold.
    GLoTQ (Good Luck on Tone Quest)!

• mic position?

Yesss :D
    Kemper Profile = Amp > Cabinet > mic/mics > mic pos
    If mic pos is set to "fizz speaker tone" then nothing help - yes you can try cut some fizz etc... but.... Sometimes i like more fizzy profiles (mic pos) but.... i like more wihtout fizz. And Remember 90% on axis = fizz ;(

Stay Metal!

• Definatley learn the micing trade! It's worth it. Experiment with angles and positions of the mic/cone...when you find your sweet spot, take a picture to remember it!
    I work in a studio and have seen bands come in, not happy with the miced sound, until they let me loose on those dials!. After a while you learn how dial your amp/mic settings to capture the sound. Just keep at it!

• hey thanks project grudge. some confusion here. i am not profiling , i am just looking at getting that fizzy sound out of the rigs. i think more like crankyrayhanky suggested with the para eq.

• Sweeping a couple of tight EQ bands is usually the best way to go for stuff like this. With the Kemper, you can also try fiddling with the cab parameters - turning up Character a tiny bit may help, as well as making tiny adjustments to High Shift. *Really* tiny adjustments though - usually +/- 0.4 is where it starts sounding weird. You could also try some EQ before the amp to see if you can cut the fizzy highs without losing your 2-3kHz bite.