NAMM News - Is there anything new from our friends at Kemper?

• My yaying is mainly for new free stuff. Free being dependent on direction of free thing, specifically incoming. Also, major props to a company that sold me a product that did exactly what I wanted 8 years ago and has given me hundreds of pounds (Scottish currency) of free stuff in the meantime. Yay, yay and thrice yay

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• My yaying is mainly for new free stuff. Free being dependent on direction of free thing, specifically incoming. Also, major props to a company that sold me a product that did exactly what I wanted 8 years ago and has given me hundreds of pounds (Scottish currency) of free stuff in the meantime. Yay, yay and thrice yay

Your post makes perfect sense with regards to new free stuff. I have been simply commenting in the liquid profiling. New features are wonderful and even better when offered for free to loyal customers. I applaud Kemper for this.

My main comments are whether liquid profiling will result in an improvement in the final tone. For instance, CK talked about the gain knob modeling the bright cap. Bright caps on amps are a relatively subtle tweak made to tube amps historically. A bright cap is not going to change the basic character of an amp. This type of change is not significant IME. I am focused on the base tone of a profile and I am interested to know if liquid profiling will improve it in any significant way. I would be nice to not need all the different profiles for different gain settings as well. But this was not claimed in the TJ interview and I suspect it would have been if it were true. What was claimed is tonestack modelling so that the knobs act more like the real stacks when the profile is performed and documented properly. Most of the profiles I have are purchased and this documentation was not provided. Perhaps it could be provided, but it is not clear whether it can or will be. It will be up to the individual provider. One has already posted that they can provide that info. So, there is a high likelihood that the benefit of tonestack modelling will be limited for existing profiles. I am interested to hear the results when this becomes available.

• I'm complimenting Kemper on how amazing it sounds today, and my disbelief that there's an amp sound that it cannot achieve today with its current feature set.

Same here.

Currently we can only use a generic EQ provided in the tonestack of the Profiler

Custom tonestacks that work like the device might seem coo,l but for me, don't really matter. I wouldn't want a tonestack to work like the one in my JCM800 for example. The "generic" one in the Kemper I look at as an eq with frequencies set to augment guitar sound snapshots. For me, having them be just like the amp would be more of a novelty.

• Same here.

Custom tonestacks that work like the device might seem coo,l but for me, don't really matter. I wouldn't want a tonestack to work like the one in my JCM800 for example. The "generic" one in the Kemper I look at as an eq with frequencies set to augment guitar sound snapshots. For me, having them be just like the amp would be more of a novelty.

100% would want a JCM based EQ, does sweet FA!

this. or the boogie interacting tonestack. most tube amp tonestacks are very strange and not very useful.

looking forward to try the new (?) liquid gain.

100% again!

Seems there is confusion of what a tonestack is and what it does. This might be beneficial for those that want to learn more. May also help to understand what CK is targeting.

TSC (duncanamps.com)

Are the above not tone stacks? Or just weirdly designed EQ's, or both?

• ...Are the above not tone stacks? Or just weirdly designed EQ's, or both?

Does the above mean the JCM800 and Boogie tonestacks? If yes, then the answer is yes. A tonestack is typically a variable filter placed between the preamp and power amp of most tube amps. There are sometimes deviations from this placement. The Duncan app is preprogrammed with some of the more common tonestacks used in guitar amps and it allows you to visualize the frequency response of the filter as the 'knobs' are changed.

• Being an IT guy, and knowing the Kemper is a computer, I wonder how much compute and memory and storage is left for more updates? Love that they keep adding value, just wondering how much of it's computer power is currently used up?

• Hard to be anything but happy about free updates to a product I have been playing on since 2013!

Yes, I think the Kemper Mini is a better money making idea for CK, and I am certain this is something they will eventually release; however, I am also very excited to try out the new features when they arrive :).

• 100% would want a JCM based EQ, does sweet FA!

I don't know what "FA" is but I have owned plenty of JCM 800s in my life. Although the amps can be set to an amazing rock sound, the EQ stack is probably the strangest to understand of all the amps I have ever owned. Most people that own them don't actually know where the Bass,mid,treble and presence centers are and are usually surprised (and often don't believe) when I tell them . (It's listed in a hard to find Marshall manual I have somewhere.) At first it appears that the knobs barely do anything, but the interaction between them is what you have to learn. Different combos have different "feels". I don't like the way it works but one just puts up with it because it is what it is. I wouldn't miss it if I couldn't reproduce the way it worked. I have some excellent JCM800 profiles that sound exactly like my amp, barely ever a need to touch the EQ and if I felt the need, the "stock" tonestack did exactly what I wanted it to do.

• There's more to life than money. CK's people focused values are definitely rare in today's world. This is one of the reasons I have so much respect the Christoph and his team.

Seeing some interviews with him, I can tell that he is what I consider a genius at musical equipment and understanding musicians. He knew to make the Kemper so that if it sucks, it's YOU'RE fault. The profile you install is what matters, not the model that Kemper thought sounded like the real thing like all other modelers. Brilliant. The fact that they have kept the same hardware and yet done all these fantastic upgrades is unmatched anywhere in the world of gear, nobody even comes close with the constant latest greatest to try to keep people interested, just to say "this is the new improved" and take your money again. I have had my Kemper for years and always am interested and can't wait to play it. I don't need the latest greatest to keep me interested because new amps, profiles FX settings can make it like the new latest greatest. Once you make it sound exactly like the amp you want it to how do you improve that?

• Still baffled no change in the profiling process. i would love to have a 10 minute profiling option that was more accurate. Maybe it proves a kemper 2 an they saving it for that big day

I can't prove it but I could profile your amp in the studio easily and you would not be able to tell which is your very own tube amp and the profile. The Kemper has fooled some very masterful, professional "big time" ears. My point: It's very accurate now, you just have to learn the details that give you what you want like everything else.