What kind of music are you listening to right now?

• The guitarist and vocalist does a pretty good job on this one, but I could never get into the tribute scene and play covers for a job. It's like living your life as an Elvis impersonator.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Iv'e never liked tribute bands. And worse, coverbands that make C-versions of different songs and genres. And less do I understand when they try to look like the band/artist and worst of all, all those Elvis impersonators. I truly hate them. Why do they have to try to not only look like Elvis and sound like Elvis? And why don't they ever do something little different, like singing the songs with their real voice, in different key or tempo at least? X/ :rolleyes: Oh well enough of my tuesday evening whining ^^

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• The guitarist and vocalist does a pretty good job on this one, but I could never get into the tribute scene and play covers for a job. It's like living your life as an Elvis impersonator.

Yeah, Tribute bands do not appeal to me. But you know, there are exceptions. I consider many of the classic bands that have lost and replaced personnel over the years as evolving into some sort of tribute to the original. Maybe only one member remains but they still play the same catalog.

But I do enjoy a good cover band. Every musician does covers. Being good at it takes skill. I'd love to be imitated.

• 8)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Fascinating 8)

• Yeah, Tribute bands do not appeal to me. But you know, there are exceptions. I consider many of the classic bands that have lost and replaced personnel over the years as evolving into some sort of tribute to the original. Maybe only one member remains but they still play the same catalog.

But I do enjoy a good cover band. Every musician does covers. Being good at it takes skill. I'd love to be imitated.

As someone who has played predominantly in covers bands and now tribute bands (The Cult and Bowie), I do get the criticism leveled at tributes etc.

Just to give my logic of why I play in covers bands/Tributes:

1) What do you play for? I started playing at 18 and by 23 I had a family. I quickly realized my dream of being a rock star or a career in music had to be traded off for supporting a family. Hence why it became a hobby than a career.

2) I love playing live. I love even more playing to audiences. Playing to empty venues is really hard. Music is purely a hobby for me so therefore I would gravitate towards cover bands for the quickest answer. Cover bands are more likely to to get an audience because most people want to join in and sing along. We have all experienced going to see our favourite band and they utter the dreaded words " we'd like to play some songs from our up coming album"...the first couple are ok but after 2 the audience is lost...and that's with a highly partisan audience

3) Tributes - They are one step further away from original music. I do it because I love the music. I have been a mad Cult fan for many years and want to play the music. I take pride in trying to capture the sound and nuances of the original. The people who come are more engaged because they are fans of the music. They are bigger critics as they expect as much authenticity as possible. That in itself is fun for me and pushes me. Its also a great excuse to buy new gear! Also often they are ticket events and expectations are higher. I also get to play festivals which are brilliant fun.

I have total respect for those that make original music, without it there would be no music, but also there is skill involved in covers or tributes.

Keeping music alive is the goal of cover bands as well as original bands. I would also argue that Cover/tribute bands, because they tend to have a more consistent ability to get people through the door, they help keep venues alive.

Of course well established original bands have good followings and can get a similar buzz, but its definitely harder and requires more tenacity - for that I totally respect them.

• While I’ve never seen the attraction of watching or playing in a Tribute band, I have nothing but respect for the players who can do it and do it well. Playing someone else’s music to a standard that even die hard fans can accept is a skill and takes a lot of guts.

When I was starting out out I had the typical arrogance of youth (at least I had youth as an excuse back then I don’t even have that nowadays) and thought that playing anything by anyone else was worthless and was beneath me. All I wanted to do was “develop my own style and suffer for my art man….” What a load of bollocks that turned out to be. The truth is my ear wasn’t great, I didn’t want to put in the effort learning other people’s music and I was too scared I would make a hash of it and embarrass myself. If I had spent the time and effort learning from the greats in the way that all my heroes did I would undoubtedly be at least 10 times the player I am now. Being original is great but it’s overrated. The truth is that musicians playing their own music is a relatively new and uncommon idea. I have lost count of the number of times when I’ve heard a great song that is considered a classic only to discover that it was actually a cover.

Sorry for the garbled rant but basically I’m all for anyone playing anything that makes then happy. If they can make others happy while doing so - even better 🤘

• External Content www.youtube.com

• BTW, nothing wrong with learning covers I just will never do them publicly. Usually, I pick out a certain riff from a cover and learn it to see what makes it work then see how I can manipulate it to something else.

I've always had a talent for art and could draw, paint, and airbrush freehand. When I would see others using tracing paper or stencils or struggling to draw a straight line, I would cringe -- but back then I thought everyone knew how to draw. So, now I always see tracing paper when I hear a cover.

This cover by PT would be the exception. I absolutely adore his rendition, and I have learned about 80% so far, and Freehand or free-ear if you wish.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• While I’ve never seen the attraction of watching or playing in a Tribute band, I have nothing but respect for the players who can do it and do it well. Playing someone else’s music to a standard that even die hard fans can accept is a skill and takes a lot of guts.

When I was starting out out I had the typical arrogance of youth (at least I had youth as an excuse back then I don’t even have that nowadays) and thought that playing anything by anyone else was worthless and was beneath me. All I wanted to do was “develop my own style and suffer for my art man….” What a load of bollocks that turned out to be. The truth is my ear wasn’t great, I didn’t want to put in the effort learning other people’s music and I was too scared I would make a hash of it and embarrass myself. If I had spent the time and effort learning from the greats in the way that all my heroes did I would undoubtedly be at least 10 times the player I am now. Being original is great but it’s overrated. The truth is that musicians playing their own music is a relatively new and uncommon idea. I have lost count of the number of times when I’ve heard a great song that is considered a classic only to discover that it was actually a cover.

Sorry for the garbled rant but basically I’m all for anyone playing anything that makes then happy. If they can make others happy while doing so - even better 🤘

I could not agree more and I've experienced that derision from other musicians so thank you for your insights.

I personally believe playing any music has merit. It was relatively recently I tried my first tribute band ( Whitesnake - the earlier years with Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden). As I did the Micky Moody bits, I had to learn slide...worse, play a slide unaccompanied solo! Argh. definitely tough, definitely learnt something.

Anyway back on topic...

• External Content youtu.be

• External Content youtu.be

Excellent!!! More on YT by Reth Shull & Dylan Adams.. really great stuff..

What is the guy playing for the drum sounds? Looks like a synth axe and a 80’s Casio had a love child.

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• A bit of groovy funk on this sunny sunday ...

• And now with voices ;)