Stereo vs. Mono

• I personally record in Mono. Since i double/quadruple track my guitars and pan them afterwards, stereo Effects get lost anyways. I just set my sounds up with that in mind. If i need ping-pong delay or Roto Sounds for something specifically, i change to stereo recording.

• Mono makes things easier for mixing later, especially if you add effects at that stage. If you record stereo plus reverb and delay it may be trickier to place the guitar in the mix if many instruments fight for a place. Solo guitar is another matter.

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• Not doing it yet (recording), but it'll be mono for me too.

The source is mono, so I expect to be able to pan it precisely. Mono signals' positions are better-focussed in the stereo field.

IMHO, too many stereo signals muddy the stereo field, which is why my philosophy has always been to go mono unless the source itself has width. Sources such as vibraphone, piano (I'd still go mono here if it's a dense mix), drum and percussion kits and string ensembles, for example, don't emanate sound from a point source - it's spread out, the degree to which I try to reflect in the mix.

If you need the space for complex arrangements, EP's and synths are prime candidates for mono recording too, IMHO. I'll play it safe and stick to mono for those as a matter of course, I reckon.

• I record in mono, because that's usually how you record an amp (for my kind of music, anyway). It's a mono source in any case :)

Actually, I use the spdif to record both the guitar DI and the amped signal at the same time.

How do you do this stereo recording?
    What do I have to activate/disable in the Kemper to get the try signal and the processed signal via S/PDIF?

• If I have stereo outputs into my DAW but want to record in mono do I just change the Kemper output to Master Mono and track Mono? Meaning, can I leave my stereo cables set up and just change mono to stereo using the kemper setting?

• If I have stereo outputs into my DAW but want to record in mono do I just change the Kemper output to Master Mono and track Mono? Meaning, can I leave my stereo cables set up and just change mono to stereo using the kemper setting?

yes-with Master Mono the exact same signal is present at both of the main outputs.

• 95% of guitar tracks sound much better in stereo. 95% of guitar tracks sound better if doubled (played twice on the same channel).

If you are not playing a complicated riff/song, it is best to record two tracks in mono and pan each track Left and Right. Then you can play them again for a huge doubled sound. Two tracks sound great L/R. Four tracks L/R and doubled can sometimes sound even better.

If you are playing something complicated, record in stereo and use reverb/chorus/echo/stereo widener/etc to get a nice stereo image. This assumes you cant play it exactly the same way twice.

Normally you tell your DAW to record in Stereo Left/Right or Mono Left or Mono right for example. You select the channel to record in the DAW. So you dont always have to set your output to MONO on the Kemper.

Some STEREO effects adjust the EQ of the sound to create the stereo effect. So recording a single channel (Left/Right) may result in a thin sound. You can offset this by recording the LEFT channel for one track, And record the RIGHT channel for the second track. Then pan them Left/Right. Or turn off the stereo effect (verb/widener/etc).

Pros will record a direct clean mono track with the stereo track. This way they can adjust the effects in the DAW once the mix starts to come together. You dont want a ton of verb on a track that you cant remove later. This is more complicated but gives you freedom in the mix. So many guys here will record a dry mono SPDIF track. Then they REAMP thru the Kemper at mix time to get the effects and EQ just right. The signal goes out of the DAW, into the Kemper, and back into the DAW. So you can tweak the Kemper in real time while hearing the mix.

When doing a chorus for your song, you can also record a third track on top of the Left/Right tracks for that huge wall of sound.

And of course you can add variations to the play style for even more bigness. Play one part different. Or even play a different sound. Many players do some inversion of a chord pattern to make it sound bigger etc.

Depending on your sound card/audio interface your channels may not be called LEFT and RIGHT in the DAW. It may be something like AUDIOCARD #1 or USBaudio 2. Usually in DAW you will have selectors on the track controls for the INPUT (where to record from, sound card, SPDIF, etc) and OUTPUT (where to send the signal in the mix, normal output, sub mix, etc).

Solos are almost always stereo single track.

But as it is said above, whatever sounds good... sounds good. No rules.

• When it comes to doubletracking and stereo width of your sound it is always worth to listen to breu here in this nice video...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• One way I stereo record is to create a separate left and right track (not a single stereo track) because plugin effects behave differently when routing this way, and you have more control over stereo separation. I can record this way and be in the "zone" during the mix and delete one channel to record a new channel over it for true doubling. Using time-base plugin effects allows you to sync them up cleanly when double tracking and you can easily share them to other instruments to get rid of wishy-washy phasing. I would use Kemper effects on for live situations where I would want to match my recorded plugin effects.

Of course, reamping is the key to saving lots of time in the studio.

If your guitars are hard-panned left and right for rhythm then having the lead in single mono works great, or do lead in stereo on a single track with pan at center. Another option is to do lead in separate left and right tracks then pan them anywhere from center to 85% against the rhythm. I like how this sounds.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.