Liquid profiling detected

• I'm a bit confused as to what the confusion is?

The base sound will not be better, it will be the same. This is purely tone stacks applied to an existing profile to replicate the interaction when making changes to tone and gain as in the real amp, rather than a linear response we currently have.

Whilst this is not a big advantage to me, it is to many people for a few reasons:

1) If you are very familiar with an amp, then dialing in the sound you want will be easier/very similar to the original

2) Many of the controls are more restricted and therefore less sensitive - resulting in better fine tuning

3) New sounds might be possible as the tone and EQ changes will differ from the linear changes originally made. I would argue these are still replicable but may not be obvious e.g. the mid frequency sweep might be different in the tone stack to the Kemper "standard". You would therefore have to identify the frequency and probably use Studio eq to get you there...

Is this revolutionary? It is if you have craved a more accurate representation of the amp.

I haven't myself, but I can see why many people are excited.

• Here is my take:

The firmware will not make it possible for the UNIT to create better tones than it was CAPABLE of before the firmware update.

What it MAY do is allow a typical user of the Kemper to more easily create a better tone than they could before.

Lets take the gain example.

We have all seen what happens when you take a high gain profile and lower the gain to get just grit. It sounds ..... not great in many cases. Now, it can be made to sound great, but you have to play with EQ, Clarity, Definition, and a host of other settings to get there.

My guess is that with liquid profiles, if the real amp wouldn't have gotten muddy when you lowered the gain, then it will behave that way on the Kemper.

To me .... this is a big improvement.

Just one-man's opinion :)

• people saying it will not change the original tone. Well correct me if im wrong bot doesnt it show in the video when they switch through the presets that it does slightly even at start point? Also, ofvoase it changes the core sound. Otherwise it be just a eq. If you profile the exact amp as one of the tonestacks it copied from, even then it would chnage becasue no 2 amps are the same. This as I see it is just a sound function to be enjoyed. The tonestack does have a sound, like many amps just use a bassman tonestack. Most of us will be mixing an messing around with tonestacks to amps they do not belong to. To say it going to make the kemer more acurate, i dont get that. It will just be a feature to be enjoyed. Dont shoot me of im wrong, it just my guess

• hope they will add the tonestack from a Mark IIC+ with the graphic EQ! THAT would be amazing to have!

The graphic will never be added to the Tone Stack as the Mesa design has it after the preamp rather than part of the pre amp tone stack. It would be great though if we got an update to the Graphic EQ to make it a “Kemper Graphic” with the ability to mimic multiple different GEQ like Mesa, MXR, Boss etc in the same way Kemper Drive and Kemper Fuzz currently work.

I’m not an expert on reading schematics but it looks awfully like the MK1, MK2 and MK3 pretty much share the same tone stack so any Mark series stack should be fine.

• I think this will be great . Let's say i take a M Britt profile, and he used a humbucker pickup, or i don't like the way he EQ-ed the amp , i can Re-eq the amp for personnal taste for my Strat let's say, very useful IMO

Can't wait for this update

Thank you Kemper

• it’s my hope to be able to use a favorite profile but now it can behave through all different setting like the real amp. No need to have a huge batch of versions of the same amp. Fingers crossed.

• it’s my hope to be able to use a favorite profile but now it can behave through all different setting like the real amp. No need to have a huge batch of versions of the same amp. Fingers crossed.

I dont see how when there so mamy variables to a amp, clipping of curcuits and all the components changing as you turn it up that a tonestack alone can dzplicate that. Well see. Hope so but...

• I dont see how when there so mamy variables to a amp, clipping of curcuits and all the components changing as you turn it up that a tonestack alone can dzplicate that. Well see. Hope so but...

As already mentioned, every amplifier is a little different, but if the basic principle of the tone control of the specific amplifier is transferred, e.g. Vox or Marshall, this will help in any case.

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• I dont see how when there so mamy variables to a amp, clipping of curcuits and all the components changing as you turn it up that a tonestack alone can dzplicate that. Well see. Hope so but...

I don't know how it works too (and i don't mind), but CK announced the mix of a modeler and a profiler with LP, saluted (or denounced :D^^?(:rolleyes:) by competitors. Modelers already exist and provide all the amp's settings....

I assume that one difficulty was to know where the starting point is. As i understand it, the profiler will be able to determine all the knobs position except gain position. From this, we will be able to tweak as we want as on an actual amp..... It's as simple as this for users ! ;)

I don't know how the tone stack acts/works too and how CK could marry a profile with a modeling behaviour but it's what we gonna have soon :thumbup:8)

I don’t know how it works and I don’t think Kemper will ever disclose their intellectual property. However, i don’t believe it is impossible the issue isn’t whether it can or can’t be done but figuring out HOW to do it. My own guess (and that’s all it is) is that the secret lies in the fact the LP captures to amp with maximum gain. The tone stack in all of these amps is a passive design. It can only ever remove frequencies never add them. Tone control is really a frequency dependent gain control. Therefore, if you know how the amp responds at maximum gain and you know how tone and gain feeding downstream are affected be the different pot positions you should in theory be able to insert a model of the tone stack and tweak the sound to mimic the real amp’s behaviour . It’s a pretty simple concept but actually figuring out how to implement it is pure genius.

I think the answer is it will never be perfect ( for the reasons you mention, plus many more) , but will it be good enough? I think it will be a step forward definitely, plus it's optional - you don't have to apply the tonestack.

I would suggest ( no science at all) that it probably as accurate as comparing 1 amp of a type to the same amp. Variations likely to be more significant with older amps than newer ones...massive sweeping statements but hope that makes sense :)

• Whats not off limits now though, as some have fantasized about in the past, is to capture a amp multiple times at diff stages of gain, an getting AI to fill the blanks. A profiling system that captures many snapshots on the dial an figures out the rest. Now that would bbe insane

• Whats not off limits now though, as some have fantasized about in the past, is to capture a amp multiple times at diff stages of gain, an getting AI to fill the blanks. A profiling system that captures many snapshots on the dial an figures out the rest. Now that would bbe insane

why would that the necessary and why would AI be needed. Liquid profiling will capture the gain a it's maximum level and all spots upt to that so the profile will already contain the information without the need for multiple profiles or AI.