Will there be any reason to have more than one profile with Liquid Profiling?

• If I have one particular profile of a JCM800, and Kemper provides the Liquid model of the JCM800 then is there any reason to use another profile of a JCM800? Or would I use another JCM800 profile just for the sake of a different mic placement and/or speaker type?

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• As I understand it the new liquid profiling update will capture the full gain range during profiling and allow a modelled tone stack to be applied to this effectively giving a full recreation of the original amp.

However, no two valve amps sound exactly the same so there might be some merit in multiple amp profiles but, as you pointed out, the main difference will be speaker and mic placement which Liquid Profiling won’t affect.

• Provided that everything works "flawlessly", it would seem like you'd only need the one, barring the cabs and mics and mic placement etc.

As Wheresthedug points out, different amps may sound different. I imagine that - realistically - this is sometimes very true, and a lot of the times the differences are minimal. This is pure guesswork on my part.

Another reason for having different profiles could be if they are profiled with different pedals, especially those not already in the profiler as effects. Outboard gear such as preamps may also play a part.

I think that's all I can think of :)

As I said - provided everything around liquid profiles works as intended, it would severely limit the need for multiple profiles of the amps where the tone stack has been modeled by kemper.

• There are a lot of different models of the JCM 800

I understand that but the core parts are pretty much the same from amp version 1 to amp version 2. So, if you profile a Modded 800 then you would apply the kemper JCM800 model to it the same as a OEM 800 and then consider it's only "modded" at that one specific point where you leave the original profile as is and unchanged.

BTW, LP seems like it will really open up Kemper Stomps and Effects to better possibilities. I haven't heard anyone mentioning that.

• As I understand it the new liquid profiling update will capture the full gain range during profiling and allow a modelled tone stack to be applied to this effectively giving a full recreation of the original amp.

However, no two valve amps sound exactly the same so there might be some merit in multiple amp profiles but, as you pointed out, the main difference will be speaker and mic placement which Liquid Profiling won’t affect.

I've seen this tossed around a few times. I'm pretty sure the profiling process is not changed like that. I'm guessing that the only addition to the current process is that you select which positions the knobs are at, and then save the profile.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I see this as you still might want to profile various 800s (you know sometimes there's that one particular one that sound above all others), but when using the liquid tonestack, you'd only need to make one profile of each head instead of 50 profiles at different settings. I forget who but some pro profiler got a chance to profile one of david gilmour's hiwatts, not to say it sound better or worse than any other hiwatt, but it a cool thing to be able to pull up and have.

• As already has been somehow said, I bet the liquid tone stack will not change the character and the sound of a profile itself, only the behaviour of what is tonally given to it. The tone stack behaviour of same models of real amps, themselves, should (well, let's say theoretically) always be the same, although same real amp models also don't sound all the same. But then again let different persons profile one and the same amp with their own gear and method and you will get different sounding and behaving profiles of that same one amp. So, about your question, as see it, yes, the journey of finding profiles for your arsenal will be the same as always, I guess. After having tried same amp models from many manufacturers, you will end up having the one amp version of an amp model from that one or the few favourite fanufacturers (if you don't profile yourself). But W A Y less profiles per individual amp (maybe only ONE?).

Btw: Interesting that I (and others ) requested that "one profile per amp" thing many years ago and the "don't need that" fraction roasted that idea, only to be fascinated now... ^^ ... this should make them, well at least think a little more before they initially say "I don't need that, especially when they say that from a position of a less experienced ;). No hard feelings, though, just stfu next time :D.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• I see this as you still might want to profile various 800s (you know sometimes there's that one particular one that sound above all others), but when using the liquid tonestack, you'd only need to make one profile of each head instead of 50 profiles at different settings. I forget who but some pro profiler got a chance to profile one of david gilmour's hiwatts, not to say it sound better or worse than any other hiwatt, but it a cool thing to be able to pull up and have.

Pretty sure it was Andy at The Amp Factory the profiled Gilmour’s own Hiwatt.

Edit: just read the next post and Pick909 a;ready confed that 👍

• Pretty sure it was Andy at The Amp Factory the profiled Gilmour’s own Hiwatt.

Edit: just read the next post and Pick909 a;ready confed that 👍

Is the amp factory still around? I just had a look an it seems to be running a blank? People seem to forget gilmore hiwatts were just power amps, the preamps where cut out from what I read. An the alembic f2b preamps used. Im not a buff so I may be wrong. My gf used to work for David

• The cab/speaker/mic/mic-placement is obviously a huge part of the sound, so if you're using studio profiles, you're definitely still going to have to hunt for your preferred of these. With direct profiles I presume there would be less need for multiple profiles. But even disregarding differences in tone from e.g. one JCM800 to the next, as I understand, there's a lot of variables making any profile, so I'd imagine you're still going to have to hunt around for the one that works for you. And that's all assuming liquid profiling works as intended... Hopefully it will makes things a lot easier though.

I haven't understood it like that.

For me, LP is just an add module to the profile which brings new values and behaviors ranges following the stack you choose.

We will be able to select liquid for old profiles and even choose an AC30 stack for a fender or Marshall, etc...

IMO, it'll be just an indication to tick in a menu (liquid on) - plus a list to choose the stack.

I don't think that in profiling process all the gain spectrum will be covered. We will be asked just the gain value cause the device can't guess this value by itself....

• You could be correct but if that was the case I doubt it would have taken them nearly 10 years to figure out hoe to do it. Hopefully won’t be too long before we found out though 😎

• I suspect they came up with it during a very wet Christmas company party just this last year.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Right now the differences between profiles of the same amp is pretty vast depending on where it comes from and amounts to so much more than just a different position of the amp's knobs. Liquid profiling won't magically make all the different profiles of the same amp able to achieve the same tone.

• Yes, maybe... I wouldn't see any benefit for me, personally, though, if that would not be the case. I could easily dispense with the new eq section, in order to have only one single profile that nearly behaves like the amp, gain wise - as much as it can without the original eq section of that amp. Lowering the gain in a higher gain profile already works quite well, imo. Only finding a way to implement "every gain state" (PLUS the eq section) in one single profile (or alternatively very few versions) is what would separate Kemper from every other capturing unit. Hopefully we will find out very soon and hopefully Kemper could solve that big puzzle...

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• I guess we will find out pretty soon as Kemper just announced OS10 is on the way in the latest OS update thread.. I think maybe before Xmas now.