OS 10 beta is out! Let's get Liquid!

• Have you tested liquid profiling yet ?

The EQ settings and gain of the profiled amp are saved with the profile so anyone who loads it will get the full benefit.

So my 6505 posted above for example, can be loaded and the profiled amp settings are loaded with the profile which can then be tweaked and react like the real amp.

Not with pre-liquid profiles.

You can apply the tone stack - but unless you know where the knobs were during the profiling process, it’s not going to be accurate.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Well obviously. This thread is discussing Liquid Profiles.

Not obvious in your post. Implies that the EQ is somehow ‘found’ in older profiles.

At least that’s how I interpreted it.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Have you tested liquid profiling yet ?

The EQ settings and gain of the profiled amp are saved with the profile so anyone who loads it will get the full benefit.

So my 6505 posted above for example, can be loaded and the profiled amp settings are loaded with the profile which can then be tweaked and react like the real amp.

I don't even know what a 6505 is let alone how it's supposed to react. That's why I see liquid profile being more intended for those who use and profile amps.

No, I have not used liquid profiles yet. I swore off beta test after OS version 9. Mine is just an opinion, nobody has to agree with it.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• This is just irritating....

I have a gig tomorrow night and don't want to risk it but everyone says how great it is...argh! Dilemma!!

Good to hear peoples experiences!

Better wait with the beta version. Today I suddenly had a freeze in combination with the actual rig manger and had to reboot the unit.

Kemper Head - Kemper Remote - Palmer Box with Kemper Kone - TC Electronic BAM200 - Laney LFR 112

• Well, this might be.
    But for me, and I'm using and will still use "old" profiles in the future, the actual "hype" about Liquid Profiling is not appropriate.

I agree. I have many "old" profiles that sound fantastic as is. What I am finding with LQP is that I can shape tone much easier to sounds that I like better.

First, this makes it possible for me to take an existing profile and make it even better than I could with the tools I had before. That isn't saying that the profile was incapable of getting those settings before LQP was introduced, it is saying that I was unable to get to those settings.

Second, I have found (for the same reasons) I am now able to take many existing "old" profiles that I couldn't previously tweak to a sufficiently good tone and make them sound really great.

The tones were always there, I was just unable to get the KPA there with the previous tools in many cases.

Note: I have only profiled 1 amp in my 10 years with my KPA (my old VHT UL). While I was able to sufficiently capture that sound, I no longer use it as I have found better sounding rigs for what I was using that tone for that I didn't make.

I can't speak for all KPA users since many of you use your KPA very differently than I do; however, for me, the KPA was never about profiling my own amps (or friends amps), it was about getting a suite of good tones to play live. To be clear, I am a live performance guitar player, not a professional KPA profiler. Sure, there are many that are both, but for ME, I will leave the profiling up to people that do that well and either graciously provide them for free, or sell them at a reasonable cost. Sure, I still have a suite of microphones (SM57, e609, MD421) that would make great profiles, but that just isn't my thing (I also no longer own any tube amps .... but still know quite a few people who do).

For others like myself, LQP provides a clear advantage over the standard KPA controls in taking an existing profile and making it into something gig-worthy with my guitars, PA chain and playing style.

The tone was always there in the old firmware, it was simply out of my reach in several situations, so for ME, LQP is actually under-hyped. I could care less if it makes the KPA controls "behave" like this or that amp. I could really care less if the KPA "captures" the exact sound of this or that amp. What I DO care about is how it sounds live and how hard or easy it is for me to get it to sound like that.

Honestly, I have been kind of confused since day-one on why people so often insist on comparing a profile to the original amp and so infrequently focus on how the KPA sounds in a live mix.

Of course, as I first stated, I know that others use their KPA differently than I do and their needs could be quite different to mine.

• So, is it worth saving as a different file, or do the restore buttons cover that by allowing you to revert to the old version, or something else?

Yeah, sure save as a different file and then the original version is preserved. When saving the modified profile under a new name I would want to have the name indicate that the profile is a Liquid Profile.

• Yeah, sure save as a different file and then the original version is preserved. When saving the modified profile under a new name I would want to have the name indicate that the profile is a Liquid Profile.

Yes.

I will be using LQ at the end of the profile name for all new profiles. LP will confuse people who will think Les Paul.

• Yes.

I will be using LQ at the end of the profile name for all new profiles. LP will confuse people who will think Les Paul.

LQD is even better IMHO, That's the TAG I've chosen for My LQD Profiles

LP is for Les Paul :) as always|! (or eventulaly Long Playing for boomers like me)

...about retrofiting...

I'm glad I've saved All My ''Snapshot settings'' in the Comment filed, and I'm also glad Some PRO sellers somtimes did it as well*.

If it sounds good it Sounds Good! No need to go futher!

.. but It's a good thing to create a copy and tweak it With Genral KPA EQ/gain OR with a more ''original amp's'' faithfull behave.

In the end, Sincerly...

I still have My own perferd Amps and I can Profile them Again if I need some specific tone.

(I.E. the same amp but with differnert Tubes?!??! Why Not?) But it's a Great thing to be able ''go Liquid'' and get a quick faithfull EQ/gain result !

* I can just Hope they noted down carefully :D

• I've just barely played through some of GB's LP profiles and I am truly blown away. This is what I hoped the Profiler was when I first bought it 2 years ago.

LP pretty much ensures that Kemper will deliver for the next decade and so on, and history may say LP did for Kemper what the Plexi did for Marshall.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I can imagine new liquid profiles are going to be much more accurate than existing profiles at accurately emulating the gain structure since you have to profile at full gain on the reference amp and 12oclock on all tone controls without focusing on the sweet spot. It seems LPs allow you to dial in your sweet spot instead of one static one chosen for you by a profiler. The existing profiles will have a gain limitation built in thus limiting the range an added LP gain stack can do. That's my take on it..

• To clear it up. Nobodys saying existing profiles will not sound good with LP, it just they will not be accurate. An the eq isn't the main problem but the drive is. The manual emphasizes profiling with gain full an going backwards from there is how it works so unless you know what it was at the time you be guessing. An that may sound fine but... Just about to try my first one. Neighbor's will be happy now we can do 1 profile instead of ten

• I just experimented with the volume knobs. The volume in the Amp section, the rig volume react different. An i compared them to just turning up my power amp vol to same levels. The amp block volume is much sweeter with semi cleans an I really want to know if the LP profiling is taking the volume into account? Its hidden away on the far right so i never really go to it other than compinsate clean volume but didnt really consider the tone an feel difference in the past. Thought of it as a generic vol. I presume it comes before anything in the effects stage as well wich is a plus. I had to profile with my weber load box unfortunately so the levels will be not great but I can hear a difference comparing the 2 vol an I would love to know if its part of the LP tonestack. Give it a try. I also tried the generic profile an the soldano as my amp is not on the list. The generic was not so great

• I find that using the LP Tone stack on my favorite presets is helpful even if I don't know the original settings.

These profiles are already great and in the ballpark so I might want a little more gain or a little more treble and for that it seems to work great.

As long as it is minor tweaks it's perfect, at least to my ears.

• I just experimented with the volume knobs. The volume in the Amp section, the rig volume react different. An i compared them to just turning up my power amp vol to same levels. The amp block volume is much sweeter with semi cleans an I really want to know if the LP profiling is taking the volume into account? Its hidden away on the far right so i never really go to it other than compinsate clean volume but didnt really consider the tone an feel difference in the past. Thought of it as a generic vol. I presume it comes before anything in the effects stage as well wich is a plus. I had to profile with my weber load box unfortunately so the levels will be not great but I can hear a difference comparing the 2 vol an I would love to know if its part of the LP tonestack. Give it a try. I also tried the generic profile an the soldano as my amp is not on the list. The generic was not so great

CK and Burkhard have both said on several occasions that the Amp Volume and Rig volume are identical clean volume adjustments. The only difference is that the amp volume come before the effects slots. In most instances it should make no difference. However, if there is a volume sensitive effect such as compressor or drive/boost in the effects slots then Amp volume will drive them differently.

This may have changed since LQP but i doubt it.

• CK and Burkhard have both said on several occasions that the Amp Volume and Rig volume are identical clean volume adjustments. The only difference is that the amp volume come before the effects slots. In most instances it should make no difference. However, if there is a volume sensitive effect such as compressor or drive/boost in the effects slots then Amp volume will drive them differently.

This may have changed since LQP but i doubt

Well I hear it. Soldano tonestack. On a clean overdrive if you turn the rig vol up an listen, then the amp slot vol same level an listen, you will feel a difference an hear it slightly. An it more musical

• I just tried the same on the Twin LQ profile from MBritt and I also hear a difference. The Rig volume act like the Fader of a channel strip, where the amp volume add something to the harmonic content...

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I just tried the same on the Twin LQ profile from MBritt and I also hear a difference. The Rig volume act like the Fader of a channel strip, where the amp volume add something to the harmonic content...

yup bingo. Cool. So i guess it is important to set the volume at 5 when profiling. Mine was a new profile as the manual says, an wanted to see how close. But when i turn my profile overdrive real clean that amp volume comes real niece an chewy. But they should say in the manual. Like they say the the overdrive should be at max. EQ at 5. But volumes not eq, so that was a guessing game. Cant wait to profile without a load. I wish I could have the amp slot volume in the rig volume then instead. Be good to have it on the fly instead of going into settings to change. Like on a amp

That is certainly interesting. Do you think that would survive a blind test? I you record a loop with the looper in pre position and then record the loop twice with different rig and amp volume settings. Do you still hear those differences?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM