Kemper Stage Direct to PA.

• Hello everyone,

I recently used my Kemper Stage for the first time during a studio rehearsal and ran it in stereo with XLR connections through the PA system directly.

To be honest, I was disappointed with the sound coming from the cabinets; it sounded nothing like what I'm accustomed to hearing at home.

While the clean and cranked sounds were somewhat satisfactory, the high-gain tones came across as artificial and "plastic."

I felt like my guitar sound was getting lost in the overall mix of the band, especially since the other guitarist was using a mic'd amplifier.

At home, I've used purchased profiles from well-known artists, and they sound amazing through my amp and headphones.

The recorded sound is excellent as well. However, the live experience was significantly different.

I've already read and watched numerous articles and videos but only came across some recommendations to set the main output between -12dB to -18dB.

However, I don't think it's as simple as that, as I spent the rehearsal tweaking all the parameters in vain.

The mixer used was the Behringer X32 Rack, in case that makes any difference.

Could anyone provide me with some parameters to check or hints?

Is it possible that the mixer or the cabinets are of poor quality and can't accurately reproduce what the Kemper is sending?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers

• I found setting tones at home on studio monitors, headphones or an amp didn’t work for me. I ended up adjusting at a rehearsal to dial it in. Live my rig sounds great. But when I get home and play the same rigs by themselves they suck but live they work.

Had a bass player I hired for an international tour and he showed up with all the sounds from the record but did not cut the mix. I had him bring up one patch and we used that for the tour because it cut through. Just a thought.

• make sure to use the line inputs on your mixer and not the mic inputs.

This ismthe answer in most cases. Using XLR on budget mixers often automatically engages the mic preamps which can’t handle the level from the Kemper and start distorting. Use TS>TS 1/4” cables or XLR >TRS cables and it should be fine.

• I think the answer is a combination of things which have already been mentioned:

1) make sure your outputs a reset up correctly - at least a -12 db pad

2) Headphone sound will not sound great live. For example, you generally need less effects and a little less gain

• My guess is the P.A has a much different curve/color than what you listen to at home. Sometimes your ears need to adjust. Playing with other people /frequencies alter your ear too. The way guitar comes out of a P.A. is much different than guitar coming from a guitar cab. Guitar cabs don't need a 3 way speaker, it's not doing cymbals keys or kick drum.

This is why I always have the same cab plugged in if I'm going direct or just using the cab. It always sounds similar to me onstage/practice just like if I was doing what I've always done, dragging my amp around.

I use cabinet profiles that through our P.A. sound like what I'm hearing from my monitor cab. If it didn't, I'd adjust the main out EQ or change cab profile or cab settings.

Years ago, I was not in approval my guitar sound coming from the P.A. (Pre Kemper) I went out to the board with the soundman and played a CD with some of my favorite guitar sounds and asked "What do we need to do to make my guitar sound like that through the P.A? It was a great way to compare and to let the FOH guy know what I was expecting.

IMO in the best case scenario, Your instrument (and the whole band) should sound the same through the P.A. as when you are playing your favorite professionally recorded mix through the P.A. That should be the standard by which the sounds coming out are measured.

• Keep in mind that what sounds good in one or two places may (will) sound like garbage in others. What's good in headphones rarely translates to FOH or a PA. It's always something.

You can hear this borne out when listening to isolated tracks from famous songs/players. Quite often, the guitar by itself sound like crap. No lows, mid-rangy (in a not-so-good way), etc. But in the mix.........it sounds epic.

It may also sound like crap to you because it is unfamiliar. What are others saying?

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche