I just got a Kemper stage for Xmas and I have questions

• So I have been successful in getting some amazing tones out of the Kemper stage unit but still have some questions. First question I know it affects the tone on where you place your effects pre or post is it more advisable to put the modulation effects on the right side or in front of the amp? Second question I have been using the iPad to make all adjustments on the unit which is quite helpful however when I try to rename the rig it renames the entire set of 5 instead of the individual bank? How do I fix this and thirdly how do you level off the rigs volume wise so that the dirty rigs is not over powering the clean rig thanks

• Hello and Welcome ✌️

Congratulations to your kemper stage.

To answer your questions.

1. It depents on the FX. For example, I Put a chorus always after the amp, but a Phaser sometimes before the amp.

2. I have to check this.

3. This parameter is called "Clean Sens" and you can find it in the input settings by pressing the soft knob "Input" in your profiler or the Button via Rig Manager. Also check out the manual for this parameter.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• 3. This parameter is called "Clean Sens" and you can find it in the input settings by pressing the soft knob "Input" in your profiler or the Button via Rig Manager.

Mhhh... I'd use Rig Volume. Clean Sens is not a simple volume control, and will mess with other aspects of the tone (for example the relationship between clean and distorted tones). Better IMO to use it per guitar, and save as a preset locking the Input.

OTOH, Amp Volume would change the way Post fx are driven...

Rig Volume is the last volume control for a single rig, just before Master Volume, so it seems the best parameter to check.

PS: OP, remember to save your rig(s) after changing its volume!

Still chasing a worthy one :/

Edited once, last by pippopluto ().

• Hi pippopluto

I know what you mean, but this is what the manual says about it:

If you feel that clean Rigs sound softer or louder than distorted Rigs, please don’t try to fix it by adjusting the volume of the individual Rigs! Instead, you should readjust the Clean Sens parameter in the Input Section to match your guitar to the PROFILER.

BUT: I have to say, that I also use the Rig Volume from situation to situation, to make adjustments to my personal taste.

• Exactly. Clean Sense is the correct solution if all clean rigs are too quiet or too loud relative to dirty rigs. Once this is set correctly it is a “set and forget” affair. At that stage either amp volume or rig volume is the way to go for balancing the levels of individual rigs.

As pippopluto said the Amp volume will drive post stack FX but Rig volume won’t. Most of the time this doesn’t make any difference as Modulation, Delay nad Reverb don’t seem to be affected by the signal level hitting them. However, if you have a compressor, boost or drive in a post Stack Fx slot changing amp volume will affect the sound of these Fx.

• So I have been successful in getting some amazing tones out of the Kemper stage unit but still have some questions. First question I know it affects the tone on where you place your effects pre or post is it more advisable to put the modulation effects on the right side or in front of the amp? Second question I have been using the iPad to make all adjustments on the unit which is quite helpful however when I try to rename the rig it renames the entire set of 5 instead of the individual bank? How do I fix this and thirdly how do you level off the rigs volume wise so that the dirty rigs is not over powering the clean rig thanks

Don't be afraid to experiment with placement of mods and delays. Putting them infront (left side) would be the same as running a pedal into the amp input which ican be preferable when replicating a rig that does not have an fx loop like an old plexi or tweed. And they will default to mono of course.

• kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/18836/Second question I have been using the iPad to make all adjustments on the unit which is quite helpful however when I try to rename the rig it renames the entire set of 5 instead of the individual bank?

You have to make a difference between browser or performance mode.

In browser mode you have allready just one preset that can you adjust / rename.

In performance mode you can rename a single slot like this:

(make sure that you have highlight the right slot you want to adjust / rename.)

second method:

Edited 3 times, last by Bakersounds ().

• Modulation, Delay nad Reverb don’t seem to be affected by the signal level hitting them

Mhhh... are you sure? It might be depending on the kind of delay, but if I drive it harder i get more repeats... And it seems to me amplitude of modulation to be - at least partially - voltage-driven as well...

:)

• You are right, I had somehow overlooked the "so that the dirty rigs is not over powering the clean rig" part :) It was not clear to me whether all Rivsrul's cleans are louder than their distorted tones.
    In this case I'd agree CS to be a good choice, as Wheresthedug points out. In general, I prefer to adjust Rig volume(s) and save CS per guitar, so to feed the Profiler with the most possible robust signal.

OTOH, weak distortions might be a general issue related to weak PUs. In that case I'd use Dist Sens which is nothing but a global Gain Deviation :D

It's worth noting that, if the Input section is not locked, each rig will carry its own input settings, thus perspectively changing CS and DS values as well.

:)

• It's worth noting that, if the Input section is not locked, each rig will carry its own input settings, thus perspectively changing CS and DS values as well.

And the Input section can be saved as preset to follow the different guitars/PUs you use

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Welcome to the club, good choice.

Concerning effects, it works (for me) as with a conventional tube amps, you can play trying your effect before or after to get the tone you want. Reverb and delays are by default after the amp.

For the other questions, I leave to the experts as my experience with Kempe started also on December.

I am still flabbergasted by this Profiler (got a second hand toaster), started today with my acoustic guitar and still discovering.

I wonder now why I waited so long.

• Official Post

Reverb and delays are by default after the amp.

not at all.
    many classic delay sounds rely on the delay unit being in front of the amp.
    virtually every Rockabilly slap echo sound.

EVH placed his Echoplex in front of the amp because there simply was no fx loop and achieved a certain extra push of the input section of his amp plus lovely compression of his dry and wet signals.

and there are countless recordings of amps with Fender spring reverb units (the stand-alone kind) in front of an amp - so try Spring Reverb into a cleanish Fender PROFILE for that tone. :love:

• So being a newly and bought some weeks ago a Kemper Profiler 19" with the floorboard. Amazon all the sounds you can create (and download!!), but... I can't find out how to connect an effect to one of the effectbuttons on the floorboard.... can somebody help me in this matter? :/ :/

• So being a newly and bought some weeks ago a Kemper Profiler 19" with the floorboard. Amazon all the sounds you can create (and download!!), but... I can't find out how to connect an effect to one of the effectbuttons on the floorboard.... can somebody help me in this matter? :/ :/

You cant do it in Rig Manager unfortunately. However it is really easy on the Remote. Press and hold the footswitch you want to assign an effect to. While holding it press the effect button on the head.