Looking for FRFR recommendations outside of Kemper Kab for use with Powered Profiler

• Have a powered Kemper profiler that I am using at home only, no live gigs or playing out. Been using it for the past year or so through a real 4x12 cabinet. Sounds ok but I would also like to have the option for the studio profiles so I thought about also getting 2 x FRFR speakers as well. I tried out the Kemper Kabs recently and while they were ok, I wasn't blown away and they aren't exactly cheap.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on 2 decent FRFR speakers I should try out to use at home with the Kemper? I mostly play Metal and hard rock stuff if that makes a difference. Someone local to me is selling 2 x Kemper Kabs and I might be able to get both for $600 or so. Is that my best option is for that price range, is there something else I should consider?

Thanks for any help or input.

• Are you planning to use the Profiler’s amp to power these, or use the main outs to FRFR?

Atomic CLRs aren’t cheap….but excellent.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• i had a 2x12 built by zilla with a celestion F12M-150 and a celestion F12-X200 in it. I love it and its ideal for home use but underpowered in a 5 piece metal band so i converted an old oversized randall, and put two of each speakers in it in an X pattern. the two speakers cover the range i need really well and compliment each other well.

• If you already tried the Kemper Kabinet and didn't like it why are you even considering that option? And buying two of them, no less? It's a great deal, but...

The good news is that there are many options in FRFR. The bad news is that there are many options in FRFR. I have a powered Kemper head but do not use the power amp. I use a pair of Yamaha DXR10s. I love them but you may not. They're about twice the price of a comparable Headrush unit (or were when I bought them). Are they twice as good? I dunno. Probably not. Do I care? Nope.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

• There are a lot of good frfr options out there for Kemper players but I just picked up a Bose s1 pro and it has been just what the doctor ordered. It is very light and the sound is great and it’s cheap. Not sure if I would playing out in gig setting on its own but it’s perfect for home use.

• I have a more simple answer....take your KPA to an audio shop and try out various unpowered FRFR...that's what I did and found the one I like the most.

BTW I switched from a 4x12 to a passive FRFR which was way better...until I got a Kabinet which is way better....but you have to invest time in every monitoring solution as you will have tweaked your sound based upon your previous solution.

Just switching will not necessarily sound better. For example, when I switched from my 4x12 to FRFR, I realized that my profiles were really bad. I had tweaked them so much to compensate for the mid heavy cabinet. I could have easily blamed the FRFR but it was actually the 4x12 that was at fault. Once I tried different profiles, my world lit up!

• Thanks to everyone for their input...I've been doing a lot of research on trying to figure out what FRFR setup works for me playing at home.

At this point, I'm thinking of buying 2 or 4 of the Kemper Kones and just putting them into a 2x12 cabinet or 4x12 cabinet depending upon how many speakers I buy and just going this route. For less than $500 I can buy 2 kemper kones, an empty or old 4x12 and just install the speakers and go....

I like the look of the real guitar cabs for cosmetic purposes so putting these speakers in a 4x12 cab IMO would look and suit me the best.

• I'm really digging the Laney LFR 2x12... and it looks like a normal cab which is a bonus. The 4x12 looks even better.

You must be young, fit and with an healthy back. That weight would put me in bed after the 4th gig.....good for you!

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Thanks to everyone for their input...I've been doing a lot of research on trying to figure out what FRFR setup works for me playing at home.

At this point, I'm thinking of buying 2 or 4 of the Kemper Kones and just putting them into a 2x12 cabinet or 4x12 cabinet depending upon how many speakers I buy and just going this route. For less than $500 I can buy 2 kemper kones, an empty or old 4x12 and just install the speakers and go....

I like the look of the real guitar cabs for cosmetic purposes so putting these speakers in a 4x12 cab IMO would look and suit me the best.

I’m totally confused. Why do you need/want a 4x12 (or even a 2x12) for home only use? That seems like total overkill. I would recommend a 1x12 or even better decent studio monitors.

I have a powered head and Passive Kabinet for live use but never plug it in at home. I only ever listen on my monitors at home.

• If its looks you want.....get a 412 and load it with one speaker. Unless you're in a giant room....that'll move *plenty* of air.

Four is just.....overkill for what amounts to zero gain.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• If its looks you want.....get a 412 and load it with one speaker. Unless you're in a giant room....that'll move *plenty* of air.

Four is just.....overkill for what amounts to zero gain.

Agreed - my thought is to get 1 or 2 speakers, put it in a 4x12 ( for cosmetic looks only )

Wish I could find the Kemper Speakers either used or online with a sale or something, not exactly the cheapest speakers and can't seem to find them anywhere other than ordering them direct through Kemper.

• Where are you located? I have a used Kone speaker I could be willing to part with.

In Philly but anything in the NJ, NYC or Philly region works for me. Not sure where you're at though.

• Headrush 108 or 112 are fantastic powered FRFRs for the $.

Second this. I've had the 112 for years now. Great pricing and useful for more than just your pedals. Loud, clear, and reliable. The new versions seem to be the same but with Bluetooth.

"No socks? No problem."

I would be carefull doing that. At low volume you might find your bass response lacking or overbearing depending on how you eq and at high volumes you can risk tearing the speaker cone paper. Having 2 or 3 empty holes in the cab will allow the 1 or 2 speakers in there to travel more than they should. At the very least try to seal up to remaining holes in the cab. Or fille them with dummy speakers. FR type speakers are not meant to be open back (or front in this case).

• Kones are brandband speakers and CK said you can try and put them into opened-back cabinets.

There are Jensen's imprints and, IMO, it could be better to tend towards Fender's sounds with opened solutions.

On the other hand, you're right to underline sound's incidences in this configuration (there's bass boost too ;) )