Difference between pre and post in delay and reverb section

• What is the difference in sound between the "pre" and "post" option in delay and reverb? I have used pre because of I have heard it sounds better and fills the room more, but I dont know the technical difference. Any help would be appreciated

• Pre is mono and without trails, Post is Stereo and keeps the trails when you switch to another rig (Del and Rev slots only). All matter of preference/taste. If it sounds good then is good

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Pre is mono and without trails, Post is Stereo and keeps the trails when you switch to another rig (Del and Rev slots only). All matter of preference/taste. If it sounds good then is good

Not quite. Both are either stereo pf mono depending on which slot they are loaded in to rather than the pre/post checkbox selection.

• Not quite. Both are either stereo pf mono depending on which slot they are loaded in to rather than the pre/post checkbox selection.

I meant pre/post Amp block, slot positioning. Not the checkbox. Sorry, probably is my English

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I’d have to check, but I believe spillover occurs in any slot if it’s set to post, but ONLY if you just switch off the delay without changing rigs. To get spillover between rigs you have to set it to post AND be using either the delay or reverb slot.

It remains stereo depending on whether it’s placed before or after the amp section. Placed post amp, it’s only mono if you purposefully tweak the stereo controls to center.

• I meant pre/post Amp block, slot positioning. Not the checkbox. Sorry, probably is my English

In front of the amp is what many call Old School. Back when amps didn't have effects loop, everything went in front of the input. It is different, because the repeats pass through the amp and are distorted on their own.

The only way to understand the difference is to take the same delay with the same settings and put one in front and one in the Delay block.

Turn one on and the other off. Compare the two.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Its down to personal taste, but I always put them post because I think they sound better.

The general rule/suggestion is modulation effects tend to be post, its why effects loops were created, BUT the key is personal taste.

• According to the manual...

For Delay...

Mix Location Pre/Post
    Determines whether the Mix control is positioned at the input (Pre) or the output (Post) of the delay. This option does not change the signal immediately, but it becomes relevant when the Mix control is morphed by a switch or pedal.
    In the "Post” position, a change of the Mix control changes the output level of the delay, and thus will have an immediate impact to the delay tail when modified. In the "Pre” position, the delay tail will be unaffected by fast changes to Mix, which will control only the delay input level

For Reverb...

Mix Location Pre/Post

Determines whether the Mix control is positioned at the input (Pre) or the output (Post) of the reverb. This option does not change the signal immediately, but it becomes relevant when the Mix control is morphed by a switch or pedal.
    In the "Post” position, a change of the Mix control changes the output level of the reverb, and thus will have an immediate impact to the reverb decay when modified. In the "Pre” position, the reverb decay will be unaffected by fast changes to Mix, which will control only the reverb input level

• Thanx Wheresthedug & CelticGibson for the clarifications.

Is that the same when we play with Morph for delay time ?

I have a song i pass from 105ms to 375ms and the sound is weird....

Hi Steve. I’m not sure I understand the question. Changing delay time in real time will always sound weird as you are effectively pitch shifting the signal by changing the speed.