Hi there, I have been reading everything I have found about Kemper and its latency.
In the manual says that even setting the Constant Latency parameter to ON, the maximum latency should be something around 4.9ms- But actually, recording via spdif, the minimum latency I have got have been 343 samples, and that means 7.7ms, and it is with NO Stomps, No Rig, No effects, NO Nothing. But If I use some preset, even in the case it has just the rig on, I can have no less than 1252 samples, and that means 28,39ms.
I'm talking from a profesional studio with a very powerful Mac with 64 gigas of Ram, a ProTools HDX with two cards in its last version 2019.5, although just in case, I tried with two previous versions as well.
Many people says that no one can detect 343 samples of latency, but I have had recording today a profesional session guitarist in my studio that has got literally mad recording with the kemper. Fortunately I have recorded the clean signal as well, so I think I will be able to put them in sync taking in count the clean version.
My configuration is:
1) I'm recording with a sample rate of 44.1Khz and a buffer size of 128 samples.
2) Guitar goes to a Lehle Split II to split the signal in two signals. (Lehle does not ad latency at all)
3) One Lehle's output goes straight to ProTools and I record that clean guitar in a track.
4) Another Lehle's output goes to a real amp and its cabinet, then I record that signal in a separate track in ProTools.
5) I use the Kemper as an insert in track that has the direct input signal of the guitar, and I send that signal to another track (with a send) or sending the clean signal throughout a bus.
As a result I have got a clean version of the guitar perfectly in sync with the signal coming from the real amp / cabinet, and a minimum 343 samples delayed guitar coming from the Kemper. I say minimum, because normally I can have no less than 1252 samples of latency with just a rig and a compressor in the stomps.
Is it normal that amount of latency?
Is my Kemper unit bad?
It's pretty new, I bought it in Thomann around a month, maybe more, but I could not record with it until today.
Please, Any advise about how to solve my problem?
Thanks in advance!