Ever been screwed on ebay?

• So I ordered an FX pedal from a seller at a really good Buy It Now price. It hasn't arrived - well past the delivery estimate - and the seller isn't responding at all to my enquires. I normally have no issue on Ebay but this has really frustrated me.

The weird thing is that this FX pedal seems cursed. I bought another one a year or so ago from an Amazon marketplace seller and it arrived broken. Maybe I am destined never to have one!

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Good idea to keep asking the seller for updates. That way you can show eBay you're making every effort to work with the seller.
    I would wait no longer than 3-5 days after the estimated ship date, before opening a formal complaint with eBay.

If you used Paypal they should have the ability to get your funds back to you.

Stuff like this is why so many people now just use Reverb. I'm sure Reverb has it's horror stories as well, but it's specific to musical items..
    Good luck.

• I was screwed once as a seller of a budget 12- string acoustic guitar when the buyer claimed the guitar had been tampered with, had been repaired in an unprofessional DIY- way (with all of the claims not being true obviously). Also the letters he sent me were very unpleasant, basically accusing me for being a liar.
    I gave in to keep my 100% positive EBay profile, but in hindsight I should have given this to my lawyer and call it a day.
    What @Joptunes said is true btw. While the controversy lasted my Paypal account was 'frozen', my money wasn't deducted automatically, but I couldn't use it until I gave this jerk a refund.
    EBay was not helpful at all btw. and since then I haven't sold anything via EBay only via Facbook groups or local Craigslist.

• Its always a good idea to see the seller's history / how long they have been a seller. Ebay has always been a place for scammers, sometimes they don't even have the item, just a lifted pic and a auction. Ebay has buyer protection you can look into of course. Also selling there sucks as bad as Amazon. Ebay does not care about small sellers, and you can get screwed over the littlest thing at any time. The fees are outrageous. As mentioned, Reverb is the best place to go right now for gear for buyers and sellers. So far so good there.

• I once ordered a leather jacket on EBAY. The dealer claimed to "collect" many orders and then he would directly order from the country of production, import a huge batch and hence the average transport and handling fee for one piece will be very low. The downside would be: up to 2 months of time until it can be delivered.

That seemed very logical to me. I ordered. Now the 2 months were over, I contacted the seller, no response. I contacted again, no response. 3 months were over, last attempt to contact the seller, no response.

So I decided to cancel the order and asked PAYPAL for my money back. Only to find out that after 3 months its just TOO LATE! I said to myself: WOW, what a great and clever rip-off. But I fealt like an idiot.

Now, guess what!! Another 2 months later there was a packet in the mail. The leather jacket plus some extra goodies like leather cleaning angent, some sweets, shoe shiner and the like. Plus one letter: that guy explained he is a one-man-show, had a terrible accident, was in hospital for weeks and his business completly halted. No backup-person. That killed his business on EBAY, too many bad respnses from customers, of course. So he just spread the remaining goods from his store aroound the latest customers - for free and as a compensation.

There is always hope...

Ne travaillez jamais.

• I've never had any issues with Ebay and have bought over 200 items from around the world from their sites..... ( touch wood )

I've been on and off ebay for well over a decade or more. It is great for buyers if you are careful, terrible for small sellers. Their fees are outrageous now and the 'seller protection' is anything but. They will 99.998% always side with the buyer in all disputes. It doesn't matter if you have tracking results, pictures or items, pictures of packaging, signatures, drone flyovers watching the guy out by the UPS truck, etc., ebay will eventually just decide "what the hell, let's just refund 100% to the buyer just so we look good." There has bee a few times I lost the item AND the money, thanks to the Ebay/Paypal setup.

• I will occasionally buy things on E-bay but NEVER sell.
    I have not had anything happen to me but I have read their fine print and it is a joke for sellers.

I had an E-bay account back when they started and as they changed their user agreement, I left.
    Them buying PayPal was a big reason too. That gave them too much control of your money.

I just finally got a PayPal account a couple months ago. Only because too many people in different places ask for it.

I still will not sell on E-bay. I would rather deal with the occasionall psycho on Craigslist.

• What's the seller's approval record like?

weirdly enough the seller has around 108 feedback all positive. So all very strange. But the photo of the unit was a stock picture and he was selling several. It was also a very good deal. Something about it seemed fishy. Hopefully I can get my money back.

I have bought and sold on ebay for years generally fine. This sort of thing really knocks my confidence in it.

• Well mate, you said it was "well past the delivery estimate", so depending on just how long it has been, it might be worth giving it a little while longer.

An all-positive feedback record, especially based upon over 100 customers, isn't something I'd ignore in a hurry.

• I will occasionally buy things on E-bay but NEVER sell.

Same here, mostly because of the commissions though.
    As a buyer I only had a couple of bad experiences over hundreds of purchases and only in one occasion I lost my money (€30 for a pedal which turned out to be dead).
    To avoid surpirses I only buy from sellers who offer PayPal or when I can pick up the item myself.

• eBay tends to give the benefit of the doubt to the buyer - as you're the buyer, if you contact them they will help you.

As a seller, it's a very different story!! I recently sold a few items.

One was a Chinese flanger pedal that I no longer use - you can buy them new for £30 UK and it sold for £12 plus £2.80 postage.

I posted it to the guy *very* well packed - it was in the original box and the original box was put inside another box with bubble wrap.

When he got it, he wrote to me and said it didn't work. Odd because I'd tried it immediately before shipping..... I asked him a few questions but he was very dismissive, just saying it didn't work - it hadn't been damaged in the post as it was in good physical shape so he made out I must have sold a faulty unit. Of course, this is not in my interest for £12!!. Ebay told me I had to pay postage to get the item back so I did.

When it arrived, I plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately, because the seller had thrown the packaging away, he sent it back badly wrapped in an envelope..... Whilst the pedal worked (as it always had), it was now physically damaged as one of the knobs broke off in the post.

I asked eBay why I should refund this guy when he received a perfect working pedal and then charged me to send it back to me in a state where I can't now sell it..... eBay found in the buyer's favour, would you believe. I offered to send them a video of it working and I sent them pictures of the damage. Via email, they still insisted it was down to me to refund him.

I actually called them and had a long chat. They refunded him and me so eBay took the hit. I got the right result in the end but it took a lot of messing around over not much money - it was the principal in the end.

It's a shame really - on low value items that work fine, it's tempting to sell them but when you get peanuts AND monkeys, it's really more hassle than it's worth!!

• I don't sell on Ebay anymore, I'll get rid of gear on Reverb. you save about 10% that ebay would charge you. Buying from ebay is good since the buyer is always right as everyone one has noted, but Reverb is actually faster for musicians, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly my stuff sold.

• I don't sell on Ebay anymore, I'll get rid of gear on Reverb. you save about 10% that ebay would charge you. Buying from ebay is good since the buyer is always right as everyone one has noted, but Reverb is actually faster for musicians, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly my stuff sold.

Thanks for this. This looks good.

• Sorry to hear about your experience @Gary_W! I've come close to that kind of buyer, not quite though. After ~400 transactions it's bound to happen now and again.

Reverb versus eBay: I recently went to sell my Yamaha Motif XS8 keyboard with ATA rolling wheels. Average resale price on Reverb.com - $900. I sold it on eBay for $1,500. No brainer which I'd use, even with higher fees.

Gary ô¿ô

• I hate selling on Ebay. For whatever reason, whenever I want something, I can't seem to find that good of a deal. But if I sell something, suddenly my Buy it nows just sit there and if I do an auction, I always get way less than what I think is reasonable. This is with having 100% perfect feedback, with over 100 transactions, 50 or so as a seller, including several guitars, amps, and other expensive things.

I had an amp that I shipped. The dude complained it made a popping sound when turning off. It's a tube amp, this is common and was hardly noticeable So I had to refund him and pay to ship it back. And to have Carvin "fix" the non-issue, it would have cost an additional $150 for repair and shipping. I even offered the dude a refund of $150 so he could send it it for the "repair" himself, which even that he declined. I also had to call and get Ebay to refund my seller fees, as they tried to charge me their rip off fees for a returned item. I ended up taking my loses and selling it to guitar center who put it through the paces and gave me the typical "we can only give you...." speech.
    Also had a dude that sold me a mac book pro and kept marking the computer as "shipped" but had done nothing more than generate a shipping label on the internet. Took over a month to get Ebay to force him to refund me.

Now my dilemma is that I'd like to start selling on Reverb when I have the need, but have only a smaller amount of feedback as a buyer and none as a seller. In which case, I'll have to go through the get-ripped-off phase in order to attract buyers until I acquire enough feedback to be trusted.

• i bought and sold on eBay
    but quit my account cause eBay is an very bad partner
    they only want o earn money, which is ok but not when they don't give a shit on there
    customers
    i must say the best thing is to leave eBay

Reverb versus eBay: I recently went to sell my Yamaha Motif XS8 keyboard with ATA rolling wheels. Average resale price on Reverb.com - $900. I sold it on eBay for $1,500. No brainer which I'd use, even with higher fees.

I'm not sure you researched correctly on Reverb

According to what I've seen on Reverb you could have sold it for as high as $1,760!!
    Reverb Estimated Price Range$1,500 — $2,000
    Transaction HistoryUsed

For transaction history on Reverb for the Motif here's the link
    https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/16950