Gig in a little venue, without PA, without FOH, loud band... are two Kabinets loud enough?

• That's all: gig in a little venue, no PA, no FOH to be sending Kemper main outputs, so Kemper Kabinets through monitor outputs will have to play not only as stage monitor but also as the main sound reference for the audience... What do you think? Wil it be enough? We play real loud since our drummer bangs real hard (you can check the style in my signature link). Usually we play at venues with PA, FOH and sound technician, but not on this gig, I'm a bit scared and doubtful about my guitar sound. Any suggestion is welcome! Thanks! ;)

• 2 Kabinets are going to be loud enough to seriously harm the first two rows in the audience.

Stupid question: what is your singer going to do? Without a PA he'll definitely not be able to be heard....

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• 2 Kabinets are going to be loud enough to seriously harm the first two rows in the audience.

Stupid question: what is your singer going to do? Without a PA he'll definitely not be able to be heard....

It's not an stupid question, we have two powered speakers, great for the voices in this situation, but it's impossible to use it for the kemper, the guitar sound is crappy no matter the settings you try.

• What is driving the 2 Kabinets? Are they unpowered, powered?

If unpowered what amp, powered Kemper, or?

I would have no fear with my 2 unpowered Kabinets with PowerStage SD700 in stereo or mono. I'd Likely run mono and place the Kabinets slightly pointing left/right for coverage.

• What is driving the 2 Kabinets? Are they unpowered, powered?

If unpowered what amp, powered Kemper, or?

I would have no fear with my 2 unpowered Kabinets with PowerStage SD700 in stereo or mono. I'd Likely run mono and place the Kabinets slightly pointing left/right for coverage.

I drive the two non powered kabinets with Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700, just like you. Thanks for the suggestion of running them mono and slightly open, I'll give it a try.

• It's not an stupid question, we have two powered speakers, great for the voices in this situation, but it's impossible to use it for the kemper, the guitar sound is crappy no matter the settings you try.

It shouldn't ; Kemper was done to be plug & play and directly connected to the mix table....

I've played my last gig with one Kabinet and was not connected to FOH.

I was recorded by a friend of mine. The sound was good but my kabinet was misdirected... I couldn't here myself sometimes, the sound level wasn't equal to the singers/the other guitarist and i think it was the same for the audience.

Next time, i'll be plugged in the mix table....

Even only one Kabinet could be enough for a small venue (depends what you call a "small venue" ;) )

• Couple of comments

• The Kabinet is as loud/as much spread as a 4x12 IMO. It can go VERY loud
    • I would STRONGLY recommend it still going through the PA because its less about volume but about spread. This is the same for a valve amp/regular set up. You will blast the front row and the backrow will only hear the bass
    • I assume you are NOT linking the Kabinets but driving them separately? That is definitely the way to go because linking just reduces volume and does not increase spread IMO. I don't use my second Kabinet because it makes no difference when linked ( I run a power rack so I can only link my Kabinets)
  • As others have said, two Kabinets and an SD 700 should be loud enough for most things.

However, if the powered speakers for your vocals sound bad with the Kemper something is wrong. I presume you are using a mixer of some sort? If so, how are you connecting the Kemper to the mixer? Are you using the XLR outs to XLR in on the mixer? This is usually the cause of crappy sound as most budget mixers don’t allow the option to by pass the mic pre amp on the XLR input. The Kemper out is way to hot for most of these mixers to handle and the result is a clipping harsh sound. Try connecting with just regular 1/4” instrument cable to the mixer Line Level In.

• As others have said, two Kabinets and an SD 700 should be loud enough for most things.

However, if the powered speakers for your vocals sound bad with the Kemper something is wrong. I presume you are using a mixer of some sort? If so, how are you connecting the Kemper to the mixer? Are you using the XLR outs to XLR in on the mixer? This is usually the cause of crappy sound as most budget mixers don’t allow the option to by pass the mic pre amp on the XLR input. The Kemper out is way to hot for most of these mixers to handle and the result is a clipping harsh sound. Try connecting with just regular 1/4” instrument cable to the mixer Line Level In.

...and to add, if it sounds THAT bad, it will sound bad through a good PA as well, as it points to an issue that could carry over. You need to at least understand why its a bad sound. The other possible cause is that you profiles might not be that good but masked by the Kabinet.

BTW I think its unlikely but the sound through your Kabinet by definition will be different through monitors.

• Thanks everyone for your support. I'll try those suggestions, though I'm afraid I've already tried them, but will give them a new shot. Again, big thanks!

The powered speakers for the vocals are QSC K12, no mixer at all, just some LF and HF presets.

The gig is in a little bar, as I mentioned, without PA, we hardly fit on the space they call stage :D that's why I was considering to sound through the Kabinets, though I disliked the idea.

Again, big thanks for every input!

• I regularly gig in a similar situation. We use a pair of QSC K10s for vocal reinforcement only. I play through a powered Kabinet on a small stand at about 3' from the floor. Never came close to needing full gain, even at outdoor events. A pair of Kabinets would be complete overkill unless you need true stereo reproduction.

• I regularly gig in a similar situation. We use a pair of QSC K10s for vocal reinforcement only. I play through a powered Kabinet on a small stand at about 3' from the floor. Never came close to needing full gain, even at outdoor events. A pair of Kabinets would be complete overkill unless you need true stereo reproduction.

Thanks for sharing vtgearhead ;)