OS 10 beta is out! Let's get Liquid!

• I've been playing LP now for 2 days straight. I hope to hit nirvana on day 3. I still have a few more guitars to try out but this is damn exciting! I never even had time to make popcorn yet. 8|

Did you try the new Liquid Profiles or did you convert old profiles into LP?

• I used the "Fan BM nrml" tone stack over Tone Junkie Steel String Singer profiles with glorious results - no LP conversion required to make me happy. That said, I do hope commercial profile sellers share the settings if they know them

• I used the "Fan BM nrml" tone stack over Tone Junkie Steel String Singer profiles with glorious results - no LP conversion required to make me happy. That said, I do hope commercial profile sellers share the settings if they know them

NICE!!!

Gonna try this after dinner!

• the amp volume parameter in the Profiler has nothing to do with the power amp volume of the amp that was profiled. It is just a digital gain stage to give you control over the level that hits the effect section.

yea thats what i was asking. The volume makes a huge difference in tone most amps but it not specified. Its kind of a big deal because most amps fart out at full volume esp with the drive up full. I dont see how kemper can figure out the whole range of the drive knob on full if the profiles farty at start point. I think vol half way is the best bet. I have only started LP but i think i will settle on the drive down a bit if profiling. Most amps are a mushy mess on full. I wana know where to put the drive knob on the profiling if your doing a clean channel of a amp.

• yea thats what i was asking. The volume makes a huge difference in tone most amps but it not specified. Its kind of a big deal because most amps fart out at full volume esp with the drive up full. I dont see how kemper can figure out the whole range of the drive knob on full if the profiles farty at start point. I think vol half way is the best bet. I have only started LP but i think i will settle on the drive down a bit if profiling. Most amps are a mushy mess on full. I wana know where to put the drive knob on the profiling if your doing a clean channel of a amp.

They figure it out by sending a gradually increasing gain signal into the amp. Therefore, it captures how the amp gradually distorts. If you turn the gain down in the profile you should them get an accurate experience of a lower setting on the real amp. Therefore, Kemper’s instruction to use maximum gain setting makes perfect sense as it allows you to capture the maximum amount of information about the amp while profiling.

• They figure it out by sending a gradually increasing gain signal into the amp. Therefore, it captures how the amp gradually distorts. If you turn the gain down in the profile you should them get an accurate experience of a lower setting on the real amp. Therefore, Kemper’s instruction to use maximum gain setting makes perfect sense as it allows you to capture the maximum amount of information about the amp while profiling.

oh interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. Now can same be said with volume. but now they say volume is generic

• oh interesting. Thanks for clearing that up. Now can same be said with volume. but now they say volume is generic

I’m not sure I understand your point correctly. Are you referring to ‘volume’ as in how loud the original amp was during profiling or “volume” as in the Amp Volume and Rig Volume controls in the profiler itself.

If the former, then no it isn’t generic for many (most) amps as volume will have an impact on the power section overdrive. Some amps are affected more than others obviously. A Fender Deluxe will drive the power section the louder it gets wheres the Soldano SLO was designed to have almost all the distortion in the pre amp and a near HiFi level of headroom in the power stage.

If you mean the Amp/Rig volume controls in the profiler then, yes, these are generic as they literally just increase signal level in the digital domain.

• I’m not sure I understand your point correctly. Are you referring to ‘volume’ as in how loud the original amp was during profiling or “volume” as in the Amp Volume and Rig Volume controls in the profiler itself.

If the former, then no it isn’t generic for many (most) amps as volume will have an impact on the power section overdrive. Some amps are affected more than others obviously. A Fender Deluxe will drive the power section the louder it gets wheres the Soldano SLO was designed to have almost all the distortion in the pre amp and a near HiFi level of headroom in the power stage.

If you mean the Amp/Rig volume controls in the profiler then, yes, these are generic as they literally just increase signal level in the digital domain.

I mean as the lp profiles the overdive an its changes, where you set the volume an its changes could be a thing. But admin says its just a generic volume. But amps change as you increase volume. Mine do. Fatter, rounder etc. But the profilers not LP that so it doesnt matter

• I mean as the lp profiles the overdive an its changes, where you set the volume an its changes could be a thing. But admin says its just a generic volume. But amps change as you increase volume. Mine do. Fatter, rounder etc. But the profilers not LP that so it doesnt matter

The profiler captures the full range of distortion but doesn’t know whether that distortion is preamp or poweramp or a combination of both. It just knows the overall effect.

Once in the digital domain the volume in the Kemper just scales everything up or down without changing the distortion or tonal characteristics.

In your example the level of the Master Volume on the amp being profiled would make a difference. I suppose in theory the ultimate situation would be all volume/gain maxed but in reality this can sometimes create instability in the amp itself so some sort of “sweet spot” probably exists for each amp’s power section.

• I've had a few evenings with my Kemper trying out the Liquid profiles, swapping tonestacks into existing profiles, and enjoying the experience. This is a really great update. More accurate profiles AND the ability to fundamentally modify existing profiles. Yippee.

Having a gain knob in a profile (that starts out low gain) that can also 'be turned up to 11' is pretty darn cool too.

Would a 'which tone stack should we add' voting thread be cool ? Like the 'Suggested Feature' thread ? I'd really like to vote for the midi preamp tonestacks Marshall JMP-1, ADA MP-1 and MB Triaxis.

• I'd really like to vote for the midi preamp tonestacks Marshall JMP-1, ADA MP-1 and MB Triaxis.

that might be quite an ask as the Triaxis for example uses relays etc to significantly modify the signal path for each mode. Haven't checked the schematic but I suspect the tone stack is different in each mode so Kemper would need to add several tone stacks just to cover the Triaxis alone. Mi d you, most Mesa tone stacks are VERY close if not identical to Fender so maybe not as much work as it first seems. The think with Mesa is all the push pull mods rather than the simple TMB controls

• that might be quite an ask as the Triaxis for example uses relays etc to significantly modify the signal path for each mode. Haven't checked the schematic but I suspect the tone stack is different in each mode so Kemper would need to add several tone stacks just to cover the Triaxis alone. Mi d you, most Mesa tone stacks are VERY close if not identical to Fender so maybe not as much work as it first seems. The think with Mesa is all the push pull mods rather than the simple TMB controls

I think they're up to the challenge :D

[looks at the Triaxis in my rack "you're safe............for now,"]

For now - just swapping the Mesa flavoured Tone stacks into my profiles is cool.

• What I said was:

"Your contention that the power amp distortion and speaker distortion are a minor part of the overall distortion when the gain on most amps is turned up is really only true for high gain amps IMO."

Oh and I never said this.

To be clear, what you said was:

My contention was not that cabs do not distort, rather that they do not distort audibly enough to contribute to an overall guitar amp tone.

• The profiler captures the full range of distortion but doesn’t know whether that distortion is preamp or poweramp or a combination of both. It just knows the overall effect.

Once in the digital domain the volume in the Kemper just scales everything up or down without changing the distortion or tonal characteristics.

In your example the level of the Master Volume on the amp being profiled would make a difference. I suppose in theory the ultimate situation would be all volume/gain maxed but in reality this can sometimes create instability in the amp itself so some sort of “sweet spot” probably exists for each amp’s power section.

I think my new fav knob now is the bright cap sweep. Over definition. These controls allow you to totally make a amp that does not exist an one that makes you happy. I just turned it down on profiles of a overly brittle amp I have. So sensitive too. Good times

• What I said was:

"Your contention that the power amp distortion and speaker distortion are a minor part of the overall distortion when the gain on most amps is turned up is really only true for high gain amps IMO."

To be clear, what you said was:

Right, I never said what you said I said. Glad we cleared that up.

• I think my new fav knob now is the bright cap sweep. Over definition. These controls allow you to totally make a amp that does not exist an one that makes you happy. I just turned it down on profiles of a overly brittle amp I have. So sensitive too. Good times

...although paradoxically....that was an advantage of the generic Kemper tone controls - you could get sounds that the original never could...so with the tonestacks we can either have replication of the original or apply different tonestacks for different sounds...happy days!

• Right, I never said what you said I said. Glad we cleared that up.

To be clear, I am still saying that for many amps, the volume you play at (not just the gain) makes a big difference in the tone. I do not intend to argue how much of that tone change is due to the power amp tubes vs the cab speakers nor is it really that relevant.

Since the volume you play at makes a difference for the distortion AND LQP does NOT take volume settings into account (only gain), one could argue that for amps where volume effects the tone, the LQP should be taken at a high volume with max gain, or potentially several LQP's should be taken at different volume levels in order to capture the behavior of the amp.

This does not, in any way, reduce the effectiveness of LQP's. I believe this is one of (if not THE) biggest enhancements the KPA has ever had.

• Exatly, I'd say profile your amps at several gains , and I use LP more for it's Eq features. Not gain, going up or down a tad is fine but no major gain changes and it works beautifully.

• I made 3 tries (without knowing what to do)

1st try : Huuuh, not so bad !

2nd try : Nope, sounds somehow overprocessed and overfiltered, I don´t like it.

3rd try : 3 Liquid packs on RM : Don´t taste to me, some too dark some too harsh.

(Found 2 HighGain sounds in the Rigbuster Pack, which were ... ok , but not changing my world)

Waited a few days, read the documetation, looked a few videos.

Then I elevated my favourite Lead Rig (a SLO100, bought from Bert Meulendijk)

to liquid using Mars Plex Brt, needed not much tweaking and what the hell !

+ the post amp studio EQ is now obsolete

+ the delay/reverb sounds better, not so "weak and washed"

+ the attack sounds much more realistic

+ my fingers need less power at the fretboard (why?)

+ I can play faster and more accurate (why?)

+ the overall feeling is no more as sticky fingers on the fretboard (why?)

+ less harshness, more punch and warmth = more life

- I had to raise rig volume by approx. 2.5dB (doesn´t matter)

The same result with our beloved rmpacheco´s Morgan AC20 using Fan Vibro Champion.

Bright Cap 7.7, Bass -3.5, treble 8, Gain 4.5, pre amp a pure booster +1.9.

A nice reverb on top and BANG - the best SRVish sound I ever played.

Also a very nice feeling and dynamics at the edge of breakup.

(to be honest ... I cannot play like SRV, but it feels soooo good)

Thanks to CK and his team for this (free!) update ! 8)

Best regards

Bernhard

Jam it ! 8o