IR as stomp

• The Kemper can already import IRs for use as cabinets.

However, I do see another use for IR in guitar. You can also change the tone of your guitar. If e.g. you have an acoustic guitar with a Piezo Pickup, there are IRs which allow you to transfer the sound into miced famous acoustic guitars. This works quite good!

Why not have the possibility to put one IR stomp (most probably on A)?

The problem with an external device is, I can not switch it with the profiles, it remains always an additional step.

Kemper Stage

• you can already put acoustic guitar IRs in the cabinet slot, works quiet well but don´t forget to turn off the amp.

The problem with an external device is, I can not switch it with the profiles, it remains always an additional step.

you can use the loop fx to switch with profiles

• you can already put acoustic guitar IRs in the cabinet slot, works quiet well but don´t forget to turn off the amp.

you can use the loop fx to switch with profiles

That's true, but the ABCD stomps get unusable and you can not chose a cab for your favourite acoustic guitar amp. Also the amp gets unusable, as you already stated. Or do I see this wrong?

But it is a hack to reach the goal with limitations.

Kemper Stage

• For some time now I've used a MIDI capable pedal switcher to control outboard gear with just the Remote.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• That's true, but the ABCD stomps get unusable and you can not chose a cab for your favourite acoustic guitar amp. Also the amp gets unusable, as you already stated. Or do I see this wrong?

Not sure what you mean by that. You can always use any amp and cab combination you want with all Stmp and Effect slots available.

I use 3Sigma IR's with my acoustics and Piezo guitars. You can use any amp you want, or turn off amp altogether, but if you turn off amp you disable the EQ section. I find best results by using a Cable profile. There's one called Cable Direct on Rig Exchange. It's just a profile of a guitar cable so much the same as turning off the amp, but still allowing you to keep using the EQ controls. Or there are other amps for acoustics like Bert Meulendijk's and so on. Then I use the 3Sigma IR's as the cabinet.

One thing I've found with the 3Sigma IR's is that setting to Character all the way up to +5 and Pure Cabinet to 10 give me a much better result than having them at zero.

All of the Kemper Stomp and Effects slots are useable.

• Not sure what you mean by that. You can always use any amp and cab combination you want with all Stmp and Effect slots available.

I mean that the stomps A-D as well as the amp are in this case in front of your IR. Which means that they behave completely different.

If you e.g. put a compressor in stomp D or stomp X will make a huge difference in your case. Just try it out.

You told by yourself to turn the amp off, so you can't simulate e.g. warmth of a preamp after the mic. I am usind a MBritt Preamp Model for this.

If you still want to use a cab IR, you would need to fold the two IRs together.

The 3Sigma IRs are great. But actually they are correct as first effect in the line. So you have it as extra device in front of the Kemper and than it is hard to change it with the profile.

So it is not about being useable but about doing the correct thing. Effect order is very important. Sorry, if I was hard to understand.

Kemper Stage

• For some time now I've used a MIDI capable pedal switcher to control outboard gear with just the Remote.

Could be done with a midi enabled cab pedal, like the Joyo R08. However I prefer an integrated solution.

I guess the main code is already there...

Kemper Stage

• But actually they are correct as first effect in the line

While there could be some specialty IR's that might benefit from slot position, I'd completely disagree for Acoustic guitar. The 3Sigma IR's and all other acoustic IR's I've used work perfectly in the Cab slot. No need at all for them to be in a stomp slot.

But nothing wrong in asking for new feature. I'd requested this same thing years ago.

• moskito42 IR rely on convolution which is very processor intensive compared to modelling effects. CK has said several times over the years that the hardware can only run one profile so I would assume the same is true of any convolution effects.

I agree that could be a good reason. But the Kemper somehow processes the IRs, As far as I have understood the time factor is actually removed, just the frequency spectrum stays. I just hope that this would ease things up.

Kemper Stage

• While there could be some specialty IR's that might benefit from slot position, I'd completely disagree for Acoustic guitar. The 3Sigma IR's and all other acoustic IR's I've used work perfectly in the Cab slot. No need at all for them to be in a stomp slot.

But nothing wrong in asking for new feature. I'd requested this same thing years ago.

As you are having the setup anyway, just use my example with the compressor. Put it once in slot D and once in slot X. You need to use a stronger compression however. Play chords high and low on the fretboard.

Can't you hear the difference?

I absolutely agree your workaround is a possibility. But I hope there is an easy way to improve.

Kemper Stage

• Im a bit confused...in Kemper land, IR's are the "same" as the cab part of the profile.

Are you saying you would like to have an IR as well as the cab ( so a cab into a cab) or do you want to be able to switch "cabs" via the stomp switches?

For the former it fits into the "can we have dual amps, no 3 amps, no 4 amps at once..." type request...just more and more tonal options that to me seem unnecessary.

For the latter if its to use with different guitars, I use a different rig, far easier as its not just the IR I want to change.

I suspect I'm missing something....