stereo and mono

• I set my kemper up in stereo to play a live gig thinking I was the only guitar player. Today I was told there will be a second guitar player joining us and he plays in mono. We won't get to rehearse before the live gig so I don't know if I should stay in stereo or go back to mono?

We both use kempers and he will not play in stereo PERIOD. We play 80's hair metal.

Can I get some advise please.

• TBH its personal choice, no right or wrong.

My view is Stereo is great in concept but live can just make things a little less defined - so great for more ethereal music, but tight rock? Of course Def Leppard had a very "wide" sound and I'm sure they were probably Stereo live but they also had very defined parts so the guitars were very separated in what they played.

If it was me, unless I was really using the Stereo effects, I'd go mono. I used to play in an 80's hair metal band. I was mono. The other guitarist used a Helix.. he was mono, went Stereo, reverted back to mono as it added very little except additional cables and hassle...

So, I would suggest Mono....

• Mono for live. I have two output presets, one Mono for live and one Stereo for studio. They are identical except for that and can be switched quickly. I agree, unless you need to do some stereo FX like room ping pong echo mono will be easier on everybody.

• I'd go mono.

Stereo is great. *IF* the room is set up for it. All the gear can be stereo-capable, but that doesn't mean the stereo field in the room will work for everyone in the room.

Just like listening to your stereo speakers at home. Stand too close to one side and the effect is minimized.....or even sounds like total crap.

Stereo is *great* for in-ear monitoring, though. Just panning alone lets you clean up your mix so much, allowing you to play that much better.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• If you have two mono guitars then both will make stereo, as long as they are panned Left and Right. If a small venue, you could run stereo and have the 2nd guitarist run mono at center but you may want to use a Widener so their is no overlapping.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Definitely mono for me. Probably each panned slightly to opposite sides to create a treble/mid hole for the vocals in the middle.

Iron Maidens FOH engineer has a newer video that addresses this subject as it applies to them, a very informative and interesting video to watch. His basic setup is pretty much the same as you mentioned, along with the added benefit of some very nice plug ins and outboard gear that most people probably won't have access to in a live situation.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.