PLAYER - what were they thinking?

• Official Post

That's the issue for me too. I always have Rhythm and Lead in slots 1 & 2, but normally have some specialty sounds and tunings spread over the next few banks, dependant on what set my band are playing from the back catalogue. In the heat of a 2+hr originals set, there's no way I can work without the re-assurance of a screen, however much the player seems like a god-send at airport security.

The LEDs show you where you are and where you are switching to. It is quite easy to navigate.

• That's the issue for me too. I always have Rhythm and Lead in slots 1 & 2, but normally have some specialty sounds and tunings spread over the next few banks, dependant on what set my band are playing from the back catalogue. In the heat of a 2+hr originals set, there's no way I can work without the re-assurance of a screen, however much the player seems like a god-send at airport security.

You pick the tool that’s right for the job.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It's funny to read all criticism from all who haven't even tried one yet and even have decided their opion is right. That's like when people criticize a movie that they haven't seen yet. Which we have seen many times before. How about use common sense instead of emotional expressions without any substance whatsoever? Is it too hard? Wait until it is released and tested? No?

I disagree completely. Full spec is published and people know their workflows and judge by how much would they have to adjust their current workflows to utilize this new device. For some people it is OK, so some it is not - normal thing, everyone works differently. It is natural that current owners or KPA will look at new device through the lens of full KPA they love and use for years - and in this light this device falls a bit short of expectations (because it requires a lot of work to adjust existing rigs to new limitations, swapping non-existing effects, replacing morphing with something else - it is like starting from scratch in many cases). You definitely can decide if a car is good for your daily usage just by looking at features without taking any test drive - same thing with KPA-P.

• There is a difference between a fit-for-use conversation and complaining.

There seems to be some of the former and a ton of the latter.

• It seems the Player is the first Kemper product that gets quite some critical feedback from the user community. Including me.

I have a hard time understanding where they want to go with it.

I can't use performances, I can't use morph and I can't use lot of the FX algorithms.

So as a backup for my Kemper Head for gigs...ots OK. But no substitute whatsoever and even as a backup I would have a hard time playing live with it (for the mentioned limitations).

If I would just want a pedal with some great sounding amps for my pedal board I'd get the ToneX (Although that is missing the monitor output) or the Line6 PodGo.

I'm sure its a good fit for quite some people....but I have a feeling it could have been better for the price.

On a side note: I find it quite amusing how suddenly people here develop a certain Fractal-ity when it comes to criticism of the Player. :)

• Until the competition truly enables me to nail the feel and sound of a tube amp I don't think the direct comparison is relevant.

... and for those of us that KNOW that the KPA offers superior tube tonal characteristics, this will be enough in many cases.

For the open market where everyone says they offer authentic tube tone, other factors (like a color LCD screen) may come into consideration.

Someone posted a couple of pages ago that a phone or tablet display on the mic stand is better than a little screen at your feet. That actually may make sense. I use a tablet for my digital mixer. It wouldn't be a stretch to have a phone or tablet on the mic stand to give you the graphical interface feedback about what bank and rig you are on (and maybe even information about what is near you on this bank).

I look forward to seeing how much Kemper decides to charge for the upgrade(s) to add the "premium effects" to the unit.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it! - Michael Angelo Batio

• Hello everyone, a happy Kemper Player user!

but I have a question. I have a reverb and delay loaded post amp. and when I deactivate the effect from the rig manager, the spillover is there. But when I deactivate it from the Kemper player switches, there is no spillover.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• just had a very quick read over some of the comments and from my point of view.

1-the Kemper player is better than the Tonex - the Tonex was an excellent bit of kit but the KPP is much better, more features (i sold my Tonex)

2-better than my HX Stomp/LT

3-it does lack all the FX slots i'd like BUT were happy to pay for 3rd party profiles and yet not happy to pay for additional functionality - i'm more than happy to be able to cherry pick what i need and want to pay for (so long as its NOT a subscription)

4-who cares about a screen on it, it has lights that tell yo where you are and what patch your on - simple (well for me)

5-its small and fits on a small pedalboard and gives you a tone of good options

6-did people NOT read the information that was abundant on the Kemper site before the bought it :)

• Had the Player come first, or very early on…..none of these questions/criticisms/complaints would exist.

Asking the Player to do what the bigger units do is like asking an HX Stomp equal a Helix, or insisting an FM3 do what an AxeFX III does.

They serve different purposes. Just ‘cause it doesn’t fit *your* expectations means nothing.

• Had the Player come first, or very early on…..none of these questions/criticisms/complaints would exist.

Asking the Player to do what the bigger units do is like asking an HX Stomp equal a Helix, or insisting an FM3 do what an AxeFX III does.

They serve different purposes. Just ‘cause it doesn’t fit *your* expectations means nothing.

Both the HX Stomp and FM3 have limited their abilities from their "big brother" in a way that doesn't remove WHAT the unit can do, but rather HOW MUCH.

Every effect is supported, only the total processing is different (granted, the FM3 is 1/4th the processing of the full AxeFX III).

I think the combination of removing WHAT can be done in addition to removing HOW MUCH can be done has made the unit unfit for many use cases OR has made the product less competitive in its market space.

I am not saying no one will buy it or anything silly like that (it's a Kemper after all), just that it would likely have been a home-run product with a few different product decisions. As it is, it will still likely sell a ton more than all their other products combined. This is simply because it is a Kemper and it is priced at half of what you pay for its nearest sibling.

I will agree that many who are upset are just venting and being anti-social in their posts..... particularly those who accuse Kemper of not caring about their customers (that is blatantly silly).

• My KPP arrived and I’m just getting to know the unit and how I’m going to use it. So far as a desk top player for practice it’s been great with size and how it’s shaped.

I still looking at my options for mounting to a pedalboard as a small gig rig or backup to my KP Rack.

A small note for those that are worried about covering the serial number and QR code. Kemper had enough foresight about this and includes that same sticker on the card inside the box. So you can bring that with you should you ever need to scan it quickly.

The unit itself is very solid and knobs and switches are well made and road ready.

The unit also boots quicker than my larger unit.

So far this is exactly what I wanted in a smaller sized Kemper.

• I'm guessing here....but I think the WHAT vs HOW MUCH comparison has to do with modelers being more resource-intensive. In comparison, the Profiler is obviously light on it's processors. Using the *exact* same hardware since 2011 (Head/Rack)?!?!?!

There's zero doubt the Player is basically a Sleeper. Way more power than we can currently see. Are the limitations artificial? Almost certainly.

For *half* the cost, I can't blame them.

• I'm guessing here....but I think the WHAT vs HOW MUCH comparison has to do with modelers being more resource-intensive. In comparison, the Profiler is obviously light on it's processors. Using the *exact* same hardware since 2011 (Head/Rack)?!?!?!

There's zero doubt the Player is basically a Sleeper. Way more power than we can currently see. Are the limitations artificial? Almost certainly.

For *half* the cost, I can't blame them.

Certainly.

I am just suggesting that the average consumer wont know or care about why things are the way they are, only that one company offers this set of features, and Kemper offers another.

As for the idea of cannibalizing their higher end products, my opinion is that the limitations of only 3 buttons, no FC integration, and only 4 efx slots are more than sufficient to give product differentiation (just my opinion. YMMV).

I am not upset about it, just a little disappointed. Would have liked a backup companion to my Rack. This product just isn't it though. Maybe it will be with a few updates (here's crossing my fingers :) ).