Kemper player pedalboard ideas

• Hi there people!

Excited to get my Kemper Player next week. I'm building the smallest gig-ready pedalboard I've ever used. This is the chain (pedalboard is Pedaltrain Metro20):

I'll be using 2 power cables one for the kemper and the other one from a VoodoLab Pedal Power x4v placed underneath the board.

Now I was wondering whats the best signal flow for this board? My idea is to plug the guitar into the tuner>mooer drive>kemper player>h9>canvas-xlr stereo to FOH.

Is it possible to switch presets in H9 from the kemper with a usb to midi cable?

I'm open to any suggestions in terms of placement, drive pedal. Was looking for a cheaper smaller alternative of a stereo DI box for foh, Canvas seems very pricey.

H9 is essential for me especially with the fx limitations of Kemper Player.

Thanks so much!

Best,

Paul.

• Whenever I think of a pedalboard idea like this, I come to the conclusion that a Stage is pretty much the same size, has way more options, has no cables prone to fail/have ground buzz and all things considered is probably cheaper... but good luck.

• This pedalboard is actually smaller than the stage with an expression pedal included. I already own the h9 which I love. I've used kemper stage in the past, just wanted an even smaller footprint. I'm not using all the features in the stage. Only a handful of amps with basic quality fx.

• I do agree it appears a Stage would be the best solution. However, to answer your question -

The Player doesn't have an effects loop built in, so it depends where you want your modulation and time-based effects, how you plan to connect to a mixing board or recording device, and if you're using the Player's post-amp effects.

If you plan on using the XLR out of the Player, everything needs to go into the front/main input. However, since you have a DI box listed, I'll assume you are running stereo using the 1/4" monitor outs.

If using the monitor outs to the DI Box, my preference would be what you listed - all modulation and time-based effects (so the H9) after the Kemper Player, all drives/compressor, wah, tuner, etc. into the front. H9 would then feed to the DI Box which feeds a mixing board or recording interface.

If you want to use the post-amp FX in the Player, specifically reverb and delay, I would put the H9 in front with the other pedals. Delay should be 2nd to last and Reverb should be last in your overall signal chain.

Happy playing!

• Thanks for your reply!

I would like to use all the onboard fx from Kemper player on presets. Then use a bit of drive and different algorithms in the H9 on some moments during a gig. Do you think placing it before the kemper player is a better option?

• Thanks for your reply!

I would like to use all the onboard fx from Kemper player on presets. Then use a bit of drive and different algorithms in the H9 on some moments during a gig. Do you think placing it before the kemper player is a better option?

I don’t have one but I thought the H9 has the ability to wire it 4 cable method with some effects in front and some after the amp. If so I would set it up with the Player in the middle and maximise your options.

• This would be my build 😆

Dunlop mini dvp4, player, shure gldx16+ on a Pedaltrain nano board (if it fits..not too sure about that)

I think Pedaltrain has a virtual online pedalboard to test the layout using most common pedals.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I'm also on the Stage currently but have been considering moving to the Player + HX effects. Yes it may end up roughly the same "size" as the stage but to me it's about having more flexibility. I can do a ton with the effects on the stage but I think the HX effects combined with the "limited" Player effects might offer more than the Stage alone. Plus the ease of use on something like the HX effects on the fly... that's where I'm tempted.

• Probably a little late to the game but I would treat the Player the same way Kemper treats their "Stack" in the signal flow on the units.

So, all mono effects (tuner, EQ's, Compressors, Boosts, Distortion, etc.) -> into the player -> out of the player -> into all stereo FX (modulators, tremolos, reverbs, DLYs, etc).

:)

Happy Toan surfing!! <3

• Maybe some stupid beginner questions belonging to pedals placed after the player.

The player has line level output. Pedals are meant for Guitar level signals.

Do these pedals nevertheless works with the player?

When I use pedals after the player I have to decide to put them after the XLR OR after the Monitor Out.

So this means that the FOH will have different sound as on stage/InEar Monitors/Headphones, right?

(just came into my mind: headphones will never get any after player effects ;) )