Global rig volumes function

• In a live situation, in rehearsal, by adjusting and re-adjusting the rig volumes, the tendency is to increase all rig volumes. At the end, some rigs reach maximum volume.

This requires then lowering all the volumes, rig by rig. It is a tedious operation.

A function allowing you to adjust all rig volumes in a single operation, to lower them for example, would be really useful.

And another function to adjust all rig volumes for a particular performance in one go would also be very useful.

• No, it's not the same utility.

The problem is that, if a rig is at the maximum volume and that it must be increased (an not the other), it's not possible to increase it.

You must to decrease all the rig volumes to be able to inscrease this one.

The master volume don't change the problem.

This is a problem often encountered in mixing situations. After several hours of mixing, it is not uncommon for the volume of tracks to increase overall. If certain faders are too high this poses a problem. The volume of these tracks can no longer be increased, even if necessary. The general volume will not change anything, you will have to lower all the tracks one by one.

• azertyvince

Changed the title of the thread from “Global rigs volume function” to “Global rig volumes function”.
  • You should never have rig volume maxed. There is no reason for it. Live or otherwise.

I don’t understand how you’d get to such a situation.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Understand, but this is looking for a quick solution to a self-inflicted issue. I do regularly quite long studio sessions and I do all required (by the engineers) level adjustments from the Master Volume, track by track. I never mess up with the saved rig levels, exactly to avoid this situation. BTW: having the guitar tracks all at different levels makes mixing and mastering a nightmare

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I play with one performance per song, with sometime, 3, 4 or even 5 rigs in one song.

In rehearsal, i play one song, and after playing, i readjust if necessary the volume of such a rig, for the next rehearsal.

It works well like this.

I do the same thing after the second song.

But, by doing this, sound levels may drift upwards.

• Adjusting rig volume song to song would drive a sound engineer absolutely insane.

I’m sorry, I just don’t understand the problem, and have had instances where I’ve used 50 different performances during the same evening.

If it’s the same band, why would rig volumes need to change?

Once balanced in rehearsal, I never touch individual volumes again.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• The function you are asking for is is to globally reduce all volumes by a certain value as opposed to each rig?

Its pretty niche ....why? Because of most of things said above:

1) I have never felt the need for volume creep with the KPA because I know the volume is constant where as with valves I felt the sound fluctuated and we are talking about relative volume not overall, so why does this need to change all the time. Also, as said,

2) I have never understood the reason for 1 performance per song, no wonder you have a management overhead and not ( I would suggest) how performances were intended to be used...this is just 1 example of a problem with doing that

However.......I did actually experience a similar thing where the starting point of some of my rigs were quite high and therefore when I want to increase the volume of a rig ( for say a solo sound) I ran out of headroom. It meant I did have to reduce the other volumes rather than increase the one I wanted ( hence relatively it was higher).

Because this was only for 5 rigs, its wasn't an issue, and I've only ever done this once in 9 years....mainly due to a rig being too high in the first place. Therefore I learnt that if I'm building performances, I make sure my rigs start at a relatively low volume so I have headroom..

• Increase/decrease -5dB the volume of every rigs with rig volume parameter acts exactly the same as reducing the master volume by -5dB

I don't see nothing else but 2 needs :

- set volume per rig to match/set some rigs vs the others

- set global volume cause it's too loud or too weak

There's always a "problem" of volume and our settings will never be good....

Reasons why, i think the first and most important thing to have is a volume pedal placed behind the amp block or at the chain's end...

In gigs or at rehearsal, i have my pedal set at 80/85% (to keep a boost if needed) and set the speaker loudness to be audible.

We are doing music, there are power sound variation.... Even if i use the same clean rig for many songs (or in the same song), i know i will have to play with my pedal, in the intro, i'm alone with the singer, and it's a cool move but i have to increase my volume when all the instruments get into....

The other guitarist really boring me with his traditionnal pedal board and no volume pedal. The singers are covered when they sing or we don't hear him when he has to play solos.... :rolleyes:

• I think the problem the OP is calling out is still about relative volumes.

For example - Profile A is set at -2db less than the maximum. He wants profile B to be 5db higher than Profile A but can't because he only has 2db to play with. So all he can do is lower Profile A. Of course, Profile A is set relative to profile C, so now you have to change profile C as well. Reducing Master volume would not solve this.

I have seen this once where I ran out of headroom.

I guess the other option is amp volume, but I suspect running all volumes very high might cause an issue???