"The Kemper does get fantastic tones, but... there’s just a tiny thing missing"

• We are not even talking about stereo, you take it to another dimension....no one is more macho than you Ash :)

I think I can hear your playing in England!

How can less be more, more is more.....gotta love Yngwie/Ash!

• With the new reverbs being finished up and more being added, and the overdrives being overhauled and added to on the horizon, that last 5 percent is getting closer to that 1 percent and if 1 percent will make you lose sleep at night... well then goodnight! :D

Are the overdrives being overhauled? I know that's been requested a bunch; haven't heard the good folks at Kemper confirm or hint at this. Someone on one of these threads speculated that this would be the next natural effects upgrade for them to do. Would be cool if that's the case.

• Happiness is playing with a drummer who can both keep time, and can play with proper dynamics. I only know of one such mythical beast, but I can assure you that when I have the privilege of performing with him, I don't need a 4x12.

• Are the overdrives being overhauled? I know that's been requested a bunch; haven't heard the good folks at Kemper confirm or hint at this. Someone on one of these threads speculated that this would be the next natural effects upgrade for them to do. Would be cool if that's the case.

Christoph confirmed it about a month ago.

• Christoph confirmed it about a month ago.

Well that's good news! I started thinking, with the beta of the new verbs being a bit behind schedule (Kristoph said "a couple weeks" about a month ago) the verb update may have some extra features that they're rolling out with it? Maybe even an overdrive or two? Perhaps not, don't want to start a rumor.

• Men would like this sooner but the Guitar World magazine said from Kemper this verbs will come in the fall
    GuitarWorld-Verbs

I hope that after the verbs the CK team work on the overdrive stomp. this has more practical application for live play than transpose or other effect.

• Well that's good news! I started thinking, with the beta of the new verbs being a bit behind schedule (Kristoph said "a couple weeks" about a month ago) the verb update may have some extra features that they're rolling out with it? Maybe even an overdrive or two? Perhaps not, don't want to start a rumor.

That “couple of weeks” was undoubtedly about the Beta, not about a Production release.

• What people are sometomes missing is, Kemper does not only sound veeery close to any amp, but to the whole chain (pedal, amp, speaker, mics, preamp....)!!

So Kemper team just have to find a solution to the cab section bug, that makes the Toaster kind of unusable for me right now. This forced me to go back to other solutions / units.

• What people are sometomes missing is, Kemper does not only sound veeery close to any amp, but to the whole chain (pedal, amp, speaker, mics, preamp....)!!

So Kemper team just have to find a solution to the cab section bug, that makes the Toaster kind of unusable for me right now. This forced me to go back to other solutions / units.

Have you played with the Pure Cabinet settings? This might mitigate some of this? Beyond that, using the KPA with a real guitar cabinet with the cabinet section turned off gives you nothing but the profile of the amp, not the cabinet, microphone, or mic pre. You'd of course need a way to power your real guitar cabinet, if you don't have the powered KPA.

• Have you played with the Pure Cabinet settings? This might mitigate some of this? Beyond that, using the KPA with a real guitar cabinet with the cabinet section turned off gives you nothing but the profile of the amp, not the cabinet, microphone, or mic pre. You'd of course need a way to power your real guitar cabinet, if you don't have the powered KPA.

There is a bug / serious problem in the stack / cab section. I have a ticket going on.

Heeeelp...am I crazy? "Stack" problem!!

People talking abou 95% accuracy... when using only the cab section, the accuracy of the Kemper is not there at all. The discovery of that (bug?) totally kills my setup / gear chain. Now I have to test, if a corresponding problem exists, when only amplifier section is used (with real cab) and if the turned off cab section still has an influence on the tone too.

• There is a bug / serious problem in the stack / cab section. I have a ticket going on.
    Heeeelp...am I crazy? "Stack" problem!!

People talking abou 95% accuracy... when using only the cab section, the accuracy of the Kemper is not there at all. The discovery of that (bug?) totally kills my setup / gear chain. Now I have to test, if a corresponding problem exists, when only amplifier section is used (with real cab) and if the turned off cab section still has an influence on the tone too.

Huh. I've heard that if you are using "Studio" profiles that supposedly you'll hear a little bit of the cabinet/mic coloring even when the cab is bypassed. If you're using your own profiles this might be bad. Supposedly, if you make Direct profiles, not studio profiles, there isn't any left over coloring of the Cab and the mic, since it's only a profile of the amp. Some say that the interaction between the amp and cab, when using direct profiles feels less natural than studio profiles. Some say it's splitting hairs to tell a difference. In any case, if you're using your own profiles, and don't want to use the KPA cabs with mics and mic pre's baked in, and you're using something external to the KPA for you cab sound, be it a real cab or external IR box, make Direct profiles of just your amp as then there shouldn't be any subtle cab and mic coloring.

• Huh. I've heard that if you are using "Studio" profiles that supposedly you'll hear a little bit of the cabinet/mic coloring even when the cab is bypassed. If you're using your own profiles this might be bad. Supposedly, if you make Direct profiles, not studio profiles, there isn't any left over coloring of the Cab and the mic, since it's only a profile of the amp. Some say that the interaction between the amp and cab, when using direct profiles feels less natural than studio profiles. Some say it's splitting hairs to tell a difference. In any case, if you're using your own profiles, and don't want to use the KPA cabs with mics and mic pre's baked in, and you're using something external to the KPA for you cab sound, be it a real cab or external IR box, make Direct profiles of just your amp as then there shouldn't be any subtle cab and mic coloring.

As you can in his thread, he is using merged profiles. This should be the best method of what he's trying to do, but there is clearly some sort of issue.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• For recording purposes it's about 90% there - which actually means for studio use it's still amazing, I love it.

Regarding the missing 10% though - I still can't find any profile that comes close to the bite and clarity of a good Fender amp, Blues Deluxe or Fender Reverb for example...

Having said that, I'm happy to be corrected and educated if someone's nailed it! I hope I'm wrong lol

• It is at least 10% different from the previous tone each time I put my 6505 and cab up with a mic. Better to ask if the tone is good and inspiring in itself.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• The 10% missing element I believe:

1) The 10% you never get e.g. you play a fender hot rod and its 90% of the sound you want etc.

2) Partially psychological - its digital isn't it, it can't sound good

3) It delivers the sound in a very different way ( FRFR vs amp in the room etc.)

4) You change your view on what is good

5) There maybe something missing doing a like for like comparison but even valve amps vary between themselves, the valve state etc. Maybe not 10% but that factor also exists.

I played my Kemper on Sat and for whatever reason, it just sounded perfect! Full, powerful etc...just thought never want to change this!

Was it the perfect sound in reality? Nah. But for some reason it felt like it was and that is what counts for me!!

We should always strive for better but not at the expense of what we have got...just made that up, pretty profound eh?