Intermediate Hobbyist thinking about Kemper

• Hi all,

I've been lurking around for some time while I was doing research regarding modeling / profiling amplifiers. The community here is I'm about to push the button on a Kemper but I'm still somewhat undecided on a couple of aspects. So please excuse my rambling as this is part asking for advice (or reassurance? :) ) and part thinking out loud.

I'm a piano player who also enjoys playing the guitar for the past 20 years. I'd say I'm probably a self taught intermediate. Music is a hobby for me. I used to have a piano jazz trio but never gigged with the guitar (and probably won't be for a few more years). But I wrote and recorded some bluesy rock songs on the guitar, using mostly plug-ins or the occasional tube amp. This was almost ten years ago and I'm aware the plug-in technology has advanced significantly. Though I'm not familiar how much.

Besides my love for the instrument, I'm also fascinated with gear from pedals to amps. Throughout the years I've owned a variety of instruments and equipment. My current setup includes a class-A 5 watt amp (that I cannot use in my home or my office without choking the tone with my Weber mini-mass). And also a decent collection of analog and some digital pedals.

A few months ago, I bought a THR 10C and I really like it. As a matter of fact the tone and availability of Yamaha sparked a new joy and interest in me so I started to study and practice more seriously. But the more serious it feels, the more I've felt the urge to upgrade the tone and feel. I've played the Kemper and it's simply astonishing. I'm completely sold on it.

But, is it too much for me? I know there's room for growth as I improve and start writing/recording again. Am I, for example, better off with something like the Amplifire for the time being and perhaps down the line upgrade to an updated version of the Kemper (in the next few years)? Is there anybody in the forum in my shoes that went either way? What are your experiences?

Even though I can afford the Kemper, I also found a good deal on a Nash Tele. I could use the price difference between the Amplifire for the Nash. Not sure if it's a priority at the moment but a good Tele is something that's in my radar in the near future as well.

I apologize if this is a longwinded post. I just figured I could tap into the collective wisdom of this helpful community.

Thanks in advance!

• Think how that Yamaha sparked your interest again , now imagine what the Kemper would do ... It's a great device and perfect for home, live, professional and amateurs alike . It's one of the few music related purchases thats actually worth keeping indefinitely . You already said yourself its astonishing so why wait?

• I just bought my Kemper last weekend with a pair of Yamaha HS-8’s. I’ve been playing guitar for about 25 years and have always used tube amplifiers and analog effects. I have to say that I am really impressed with this piece of equipment and don’t regret the purchase at all. I’m also an amateur/intermediate player who noodles at the house and also plays in a church praise and worship band. It’s perfect for what I do. I went from lugging 100 pounds of equipment every Sunday to a 13 pound Kemper that sounds just as good, if not better in many ways. I hope that helps.

• I know, right? That's what I'm afraid I'll end up doing :)
    Thanks for the answers so far.
    Each reaffirmation, I feel, is getting me closer to becoming an official member of the forum.

• One of us... you need to be one of us... (spoken in a truly spooky and disturbing fashion). :D

Anyway, I'm somewhat intermediate as well. I play in a band at least once a week and gig occasionally. I've gone from pod to tube and now on Kemper for the last month. Did my first gig with it last weekend.
    Whether you are a bedroom player, a recording only player, a full time gigging player, or any combination of these things you will be VERY well served by the KPA. It's so versatile!

One of us... :rolleyes:

• Hi vanguard,
    I asked myself the same question just days ago. In the past I played the sax a lot and I was very busy with several bands. Then I moved to big cities and small apartments, with thin walls and angry neighbours... so I started to play the electric guitar, because you can practice in silence. I love the instrument, i love playing music, but unfortunantely my working schedule does not leave any room for band practice any more. -> same situation: intermediate guitarist, strong affection for gear, but playing at home, forced to choke it to TV volume 100% of the time. Quite frustrating if you like good tone. Bought the THR10 - really liked it for what it does - wanted more. Trying the Kemper was my salvation. Brilliant tone at any volume. But am I worthy? It does so much things that I won't use, so can I justify the cost? Or should I stick with the THR, look for concrete walls in my next apartment and buy a nice guitar for the meantime?

But if you think about it, the Kemper makes that decision quite easy. First, it sounds amazing - I will use and enjoy it every day. It is perfect for home use, at TV volume no tube amp is really an option. In the moment the only way I know (other than the axefx and stuff...) to get classic amp sounds at home that are actually convincing. A good tube amp can cost the same as the Kemper and I would definitely buy even a 1 channel 3 knobs tube amp for that price, if I clould use it to its full potential at home. -> Kemper already justified.

And then you get so much additional functionality, that could be of use in the future: band practice, recording, gigging, no problem. So just in case you come to that point again, you don't need to buy new gear... erm.... i mean, you don't need to replace your amplifier... obviously you'll need a brand new guitar, that fits the colour of the band logo and while shopping for that you'll buy another one, because it sparkles and that would be nice on stage...

So yeah, benefit/cost ratio probably a lot higher than all my other gear purchases before. In my opinion definitely justified, even if you only use the great bedroom amp capability. I am going to buy one in the next few weeks, as soon as i have time to go to my local music store during opening hours. Only thing that buggs me is the fear for a potential Kemper2 and that the old one might not get any software updates from that point and that new profiles won't be compatible to the original. I recently started a thread about that concern in this forum. The response was helpful as always, people here still haven't heard hints to a new model. Even if it comes at next NAMM, looking at the Kemper policy, chances are there that the original will still get some software love.

• ...people here still haven't heard hints to a new model. Even if it comes at next NAMM, looking at the Kemper policy, chances are there that the original will still get some software love.

There won't be a new Kemper at NAMM, I would bet my life on it. Whispers say that there is at least one more major overhaul to the firmware coming sometime in the next 1-2 years.

• Follow your gut. It' is more satisfying then the brain :)
    If money is not the real problem then take both ;)
    Welcome (maybe?).

BTW: I tried Amplifire to have a living backup. No comparison in sound quality and versatility. I'd only use it in emergencies.

• Your question is difficult because you are really saying will my interest increase to make enough use to justify it...we can;t answer that and probably you can't so look at it this way:

Don;t live life on what if's...just get one and try, if you don't use it you'll lose very little money because Kempers have strong re-sale value.

Then think that if it did spark more interest, then how much is that worth - its priceless.

Many years ago when I started playing I was struggling and I decide I'd buy a decent guitar and the fact I'd invested would make me persevere...25 years later, best decision I ever made as I've been in gigging bands ever since and had some of the best experiences of my life, all from that one purchase...my wife might curse it but it changed my life, literally!

Go for it!

• I honestly think that the Kemper is awesome for intermediate as well as for session players. Since I'm playing mostly for fun and like to play covers from very different genres, having a large library of guitar tones available is a godsend. I live in an apartment building, so loudness is obviously an issue. I also have a THR10C but as you know, it has its limitation when it comes to play with pedals (no fx loop).

I'd say JUMP! You won't regret it.

P.S. Get that Nash Tele! ;)

• I can't thank you enough for the feedback so far! Bathing in kind and insightful empathy, almost like a group therapy. :)
    Reading further into the forum entries, more and more I realize that part of the perks of being a Kemper owner is also being a part of this inclusive and welcoming community.
    And honestly, besides the product, it's making the a whole lot decision easier.

Thanks again.

• Just a thought....

Have a look at the Fender Mexico made Baja Telecaster. I have one and they are fantastic, not just for the money (much less $ than a Nash) but at any price.
    This would give you plenty of $ left over for a Kemper :)

I'm a hobbyist player myself and have been playing for over 40 years. Ive gone thru a hell of a lot of gear of all kinds and can confidently say that the Kemper is the best thing I have ever purchased.
    Good luck

• I also am an intermediate guitar player, primarily a keyboardist. The Kemper has been a godsend- aside the fact that you can try out literally thousands of amps, it also solved my problem of getting great tone at low (or even headphone) volume; my wife who works at home no longer threatens me with divorce or dismemberment. I have tried various software amp sims and they just don't compare, especially for clean tones. I had a tube amp and multiple pedals, and sold pretty much all of them off...

• So... Following a very rock n roll weekend that started with the Rolling Stones pit in Amsterdam, I ended up picking the Kemper black head and remote in Berlin, Just Music. Sooo excited! I would like to thank everybody for the welcoming and encouraging feedback. I’m very happy to be an official part of the family.