What would be your killer feature for a Kemper 2 ?

• Bit i think that’s the point. The other solution is a work around that is too complex. The problem lies at operating system level so in order to create a solution that isn’t too complex and a work around would need apple OS or Wimdows to make it possible.

I do not agree. If another company can do a software solution, where source routing is available, then Kemper can also do that. I’m not an engineer, but I would definitely presume it being a fairly easy task for competent people to write in the code of RM and the firmware, that pushing “this button” here enables the Kempers signal being routed somewhere else to the internal playback.

• Do other units like Fractal or Helix have this functionality?

I don’t believe so.

I actually thought so. But I guess I was wrong about that. So all units out there recording through usb, serve as audio interfaces?

It doesn’t change the fact, that the USB update has shown to be of no use to me in my home studio. It’s cool the way it is, if you only have your laptop and this and use it as an audio interface. No doubt. I just like a dedicated audio interface and not something like the Kemper to “disguise itself as an audio interface”. Why is that wrong? It isn’t. Why is it wrong not wanting to have two sets of monitors connected? I don’t have the space actually. I don’t fancy the sound coming from an extra set of monitors sounding fine only to sound different through the playback through the first set of monitors either. So the USB is use to me in my situation. But it’s very cool, that they keep adding new stuff, it can do. No doubt that this has been value for money.

• I actually thought so. But I guess I was wrong about that. So all units out there recording through usb, serve as audio interfaces?

It doesn’t change the fact, that the USB update has shown to be of no use to me in my home studio. It’s cool the way it is, if you only have your laptop and this and use it as an audio interface. No doubt. I just like a dedicated audio interface and not something like the Kemper to “disguise itself as an audio interface”. Why is that wrong? It isn’t. Why is it wrong not wanting to have two sets of monitors connected? I don’t have the space actually. I don’t fancy the sound coming from an extra set of monitors sounding fine only to sound different through the playback through the first set of monitors either. So the USB is use to me in my situation. But it’s very cool, that they keep adding new stuff, it can do. No doubt that this has been value for money.

Comparing the Kemper to an x32 or quality interface is more than a little unfair. Apples and…..fish.

By that measure, should we be annoyed that an x32 or interface can’t be used as a pro-level guitar amplifier and effects unit? Of course not. That isn’t its primary purpose. It may be possible to include that functionality…..but it would always pale next to a purpose built device.

I have plenty of use for USB audio. It provides a simple, easy and painless way to record ideas, and put them into a DAW with zero extra gear.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It doesn’t change the fact, that the USB update has shown to be of no use to me in my home studio. It’s cool the way it is, if you only have your laptop and this and use it as an audio interface.

I agree. I would never use the Kemper as an interface when I have a good dedicated interface already. For people who don’t have then it is a nice extra benefit.

I actually had a great use for it today at rehearsal for example. You know that bit in a rehearsal when you’re doing a cover song and nobody can agree what the original actually goes like? So the singer holds their phone speaker up to an SM58 and tries to play it through the PA. Well with the iPad or phone connected to the Kemper USB interface and my kemper straight into the desk it was a breeze.

I just like a dedicated audio interface and not something like the Kemper to “disguise itself as an audio interface”. Why is that wrong? It isn’t. Why is it wrong not wanting to have two sets of monitors connected? I don’t have the space actually. I don’t fancy the sound coming from an extra set of monitors sounding fine only to sound different through the playback through the first set of monitors either.

Again, I totally agree. I don’t want two sets of speakers either for all the same reasons.

I actually thought so. But I guess I was wrong about that. So all units out there recording through usb, serve as audio interfaces?

that’s my understanding but I could be wrong I suppose.

I do not agree. If another company can do a software solution, where source routing is available, then Kemper can also do that. I’m not an engineer, but I would definitely presume it being a fairly easy task for competent people to write in the code of RM and the firmware, that pushing “this button” here enables the Kempers signal being routed somewhere else to the internal playback.

This is the key as far as I understand. The other companies you are referring to provide software that is installed ON the main Computer not on a host device like the Kemper. This is because they need to take control of the computer’s audio controls. I’m not a computer techie so I can’t claim to know all the ins and outs but I’m not aware of any solution that works the way you want. I agree that it would be great so I am not having a go at you or saying you are wrong to wish for it, I just don’t think it is technically possible from the Kemper end. The firmware update and push button scenario you describe would be fantastic IF it was possible.

If Kemper were to provide a piece of software that was loaded on the computer like the other companies do you would have the same issue that you have with these solutions.

• Comparing the Kemper to an x32 or quality interface is more than a little unfair. Apples and…..fish.

Exactly! That is why I said;

"I have found the USB audio of the Kemper to be of little use." Notice I am not talking about anyone but myself.

Sure the Kemper USB audio is good for recording to a laptop, I absolutely agree. My GR-55, VG-99 and Korg Krome will do them same but I don't use their USB audio either.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Comparing the Kemper to an x32 or quality interface is more than a little unfair. Apples and…..fish.

By that measure, should we be annoyed that an x32 or interface can’t be used as a pro-level guitar amplifier and effects unit? Of course not. That isn’t its primary purpose. It may be possible to include that functionality…..but it would always pale next to a purpose built device.

I have plenty of use for USB audio. It provides a simple, easy and painless way to record ideas, and put them into a DAW with zero extra gear.

Which I’m actually not doing. No comparison between the two. Only stating the fact that the setup featuring a dedicated audio interface is what I prefer. I see no comparison and to make that claim, is a bit unfair actually.

I have an “issue” with your logic regarding a simple, easy and painless way to record ideas. What you’re actually doing by using a Kemper in this scenario is, adding another piece in the link, which actually makes it a less simple, easy and painless solution than just plugging a guitar into the audio interface. There’s absolutely no need for the Kemper in this particular case. And what you see as painless, I view as the opposite, since having a setup that demands monitors connected to yet another device is both annoying and non-intuitive…..TO ME. Unless you’re having a setup, where you don’t use a dedicated audio interface, I can’t follow your logic on this at all.

And by stating that the audio interface cannot be used as a pro level guitar amp is yet a statement to discuss. I don’t see this as the truth actually. Plenty of good guitar software out there to get good tones. Do I prefer the Kemper in this regard? Yes, I do. But I see a lot of good plugins out there.

• This is the key as far as I understand. The other companies you are referring to provide software that is installed ON the main Computer not on a host device like the Kemper. This is because they need to take control of the computer’s audio controls. I’m not a computer techie so I can’t claim to know all the ins and outs but I’m not aware of any solution that works the way you want. I agree that it would be great so I am not having a go at you or saying you are wrong to wish for it, I just don’t think it is technically possible from the Kemper end. The firmware update and push button scenario you describe would be fantastic IF it was possible.

If Kemper were to provide a piece of software that was loaded on the computer like the other companies do you would have the same issue that you have with these solutions.

I’m not sure either of course, since I’m not a computer programmer or a tech wiz. But yes….these programs are installed on the computer. What do you call RM? Installed on what? Here in my studio, it’s installed on my Mac and the firmware on the Kemper. Of course. Since something IS installed on the computer, I cannot imagine it being impossible at all. I accept the premise of the audio being handled by the physical Kemper though and that it potentially could make it less easy.

• I have actually made a topic about it. And yes….there are limitations, I’m not fond of. For instance that you have to plug in external monitors to actually listen to your USB Kemper signal. Wt actual f :huh: Unless you want to either download third party software solutions that can route the USB Kemper output signal to your audio interface to listen through your connected monitors or listen through the monitor playback on the track in the DAW. Two solutions I’m not interested in. I want to turn on my Kemper, turn on my computer and hear both my guitar and a potential backtrack or DAW simultaneously. Not an option here. And yes….Kemper support themselves have verified this not being possible. So how about that for an explanation ;) Monitoring is a “nightmare” as is if not wanting a separate pair of speakers. And I don’t since I want to listen trough the same speakers as my playback for several “audio engineering” purposes. But I’m happy for you, that it suits your needs. That is awesome 😎

I'm tired, so maybe i misunderstand but my monitors have multiple inputs, which work simultaneously. Would this solve the issue?

• I’m not sure either of course, since I’m not a computer programmer or a tech wiz. But yes….these programs are installed on the computer. What do you call RM? Installed on what? Here in my studio, it’s installed on my Mac and the firmware on the Kemper. Of course. Since something IS installed on the computer, I cannot imagine it being impossible at all. I accept the premise of the audio being handled by the physical Kemper though and that it potentially could make it less easy.

Fair point about RM.

The way I see RM in that scenario is like CueMix for Motu or the Focusrite software for their interfaces. Every interface has its own version. Maybe we get something similar when Kemper release their dedicated drivers. Maybe this would make it possible. We will have to wait and see.

However, I’m not going to be holding my breath. Even with the CueMix Motu software which provides extensive control over their interface, there is no ability to route audio to a different set of speakers connected to another interface. This can only be done on Mac by creating an aggregate device in the Mac’s Core Audio then controlling it via the DAW or some other third party application. I’m not aware of any other interface that allows this without running the daw or another app. Kemper have a history of innovation though so maybe they will be the first to come up with a solution.

I had a look at the Fractal and Line 6 manuals last night and it looks to me as though both of them have the same USB audio limitations as the Kemper.

• I really like it, I’m not going to stop using the Apollo spdif for recording but I did use it for recording while I was on a gig with headphones and it was a perfect solution. Also as my interface only has spdif in, I’ll use it for reamping if needed

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Just a bit of clarity on my flippant comment...and yes TBH it was flippant, I meant it in a light hearted way but there is a point...

I have NO issue with people wanting new stuff, even if I don't need it, its all progress. I have limited interest in USB and LP but was still excited they brought it out.

I have NO issue with people putting forward their ideas, as long as they take the scrutiny from others in the right spirit.

This is where the "fan boy" labelling often comes from, which I find incredibly annoying.

So what is my point then?

The background here is that Kemper, like any other company has limited resources and there are physical constraints e.g. I'd like a unit with 300 footswitches all very accessible on a foot pedal the size of a matchbox - clearly breaks the laws of physics and so would be a waste of words requesting it.

So, when someone wants a particular "niche" solution, it "competes" for that development time with other ideas and hence should be discussed as its the "masses" that should win the dev time, not the individual. So raise the request for discussion.

Note: this is not aimed at you but some others have failed to understand that Kemper does not exist just for them.

I think even Christophe hinted that he saw no need for Liquid profiles but that his customer base really wanted it, so he felt it was worth the investment.

The KPA will never solve all problems, it will always be a compromise, as it serves both live and studio use.

I challenge some of the studio requests because it seems counter productive. For example dual amps - in the studio I think this is not so important. Why? easier to multi track and you then have full blend control, which you can also adjust in mix down. Live - I feel a simpler sound is more effective for cutting through a band....now both of these statements are very sweeping and of course don't suit everyone but I'm making the point that its not just about adding toys, I want lasting upgrades with real value - not gimmicks.

USB solution - it is fairly basic, I don't think intended to replace a serious studio interface. I don't think they aim to put Focusrite out of business and hence should just provide the simple ability to record guitar into a computer. Many of the audio limitations BTW are Microsoft/Apple.

So no intention to bash ideas, just asking people have a wider think about why they really need it.

Hope that makes sense.

BTW - I like your idea of separate software although I know this takes Kemper down a very different path in relation to plugins etc.

• I love my Kemper but where I could see useful improvements in a Kemper 2 is:

Better dynamic range. On just about every profile there is a static quality to the sound and feel where the tone is not nearly as touch sensitive as it is with a real tube amp. With a real amp, when you play light there is one tone and as you progressively dig in, not only does the sound get louder, but with many amp and settings, there will be progressively more gain as you dig in.

I would also like to have mono and stereo effects loops usable at the same time.

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to play 2 profiles at once and add to that stereo inputs so that if you are using a guitar with a piezo pickup, sending that and the magnetic pickups separately to two different profiles would be very cool.

• Official Post

With a real amp, when you play light there is one tone and as you progressively dig in, not only does the sound get louder, but with many amp and settings, there will be progressively more gain as you dig in.

I get exactly this from my PROFILER and use this 'effect' a lot live.

Dirt stomps and/or a Compressor before the AMP will obviously lessen or even negate this.

• Better dynamic range. On just about every profile there is a static quality to the sound and feel where the tone is not nearly as touch sensitive as it is with a real tube amp. With a real amp, when you play light there is one tone and as you progressively dig in, not only does the sound get louder, but with many amp and settings, there will be progressively more gain as you dig in.

Turn up the Power Sagging on Amplifier settings. This is exactly what it does. I usually set it to around 5 to get what you describe.

• I get exactly this from my PROFILER and use this 'effect' a lot live.

Dirt stomps and/or a Compressor before the AMP will obviously lessen or even negate this.

My Kemper has done this since I bought it close to 11 years ago. My playing style has always been based on playing dynamics and the positions of the volume/tone knobs. That is precisely why I kept The Kemper instead of the Roland/Boss/Line 6 gear that I also had at the time,

• I thought of one last night. A universal knob that you can allocate what its used for. Hey is there a way to use say the delay an mod physical knobs for anything? If I put a flanger in the delay slot can i use the delay buttons now to control the flanger? never tried that

• I thought of one last night. A universal knob that you can allocate what its used for. Hey is there a way to use say the delay an mod physical knobs for anything? If I put a flanger in the delay slot can i use the delay buttons now to control the flanger? never tried that

The Morph knob can do pretty much any/all variable parameters assigned to it.

• The Morph knob can do pretty much any/all variable parameters assigned to it.

Im on a toaster with a generic midi switcher so that function does not really apply to me. So think to be able to asign it to a knob to change in real time would be cool too. I use browser mode otherwise i would get a kemper switcher